The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: The Greenhorn's initial sawing season 2019  (Read 8358 times)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: The Greenhorn's initial sawing season 2019
« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2019, 07:35:53 PM »
 :) :) :)  have fun!
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #201 on: July 11, 2019, 02:00:29 PM »
:) :) :)  have fun!
It's the center of my year Doc. Working as 1/40th of the medical crew, mostly doing 14 hour days because I enjoy it, 5 days of great music, what's not to like? I have about 3 days left to prep and pack, I think I can do this. it's my 9th year.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Offline HP

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #202 on: July 11, 2019, 02:08:54 PM »
Could you tell me the name of the festival, and location.  It sounds like one that I would like to attend.  Never make it this year.  Maybe another time.

Thanks
Harry

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #203 on: July 11, 2019, 03:43:09 PM »
Could you tell me the name of the festival, and location.  It sounds like one that I would like to attend.  Never make it this year.  Maybe another time.

Thanks
Harry
Sure HP, it's the Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival, more than 5 stages, no waiting :) They have a great website that is easy to find, also a couple of FB pages that are useful. Always a good lineup with a nice eclectic mix. If you don't enjoy anything but straight traditional Bluegrass and cannot tolerate those who do, you might not have a great time, but if you have an open mind and can handle the mix of traditional and slightly more progressive, and a little of the downright "what is THAT!?" stuff, you will have a blast. Great crowd, family oriented, in a pretty spot. It's in Oak Hill, NY. Don't let the big numbers scare you, it's very friendly. If you are a picker, well, then it just gets better and better, the jamming goes all night (in some areas).
 Not sure where you are, but c'mon up, over, down, or whatever applies. Look me up when you do. I'll be wearing a ball cap. ;D ;D :D :D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

Offline HP

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #204 on: July 12, 2019, 01:34:15 PM »
Thanks alot.  My son has been there a couple of times and has assured me that I wouldn't fit.  I am traditional all the way.  However I do like Dry branch. 

Thanks much,
Harry

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #205 on: July 12, 2019, 11:24:57 PM »
Thanks alot.  My son has been there a couple of times and has assured me that I wouldn't fit.  I am traditional all the way.  However I do like Dry branch.  

Thanks much,
Harry
Did you ever consider maybe your son is trying to keep this party to himself? ;D :D They have a pretty good bill for the traditional folks, Del McCoury, Steep Canyon rangers, Gibson Brothers, Jim Gaudet, The Earls of Leicster (always a favorite of mine, Jerry is a funny guy and a sweet man, I enjoy every time we meet) nd of course Dry Branch, Ron and I share the same humor and I always enjoy talking with him. But if you can't take the other stuff I can see why it wouldn't be for you. I like it all and walk away from the stuff that is too much, and it's easy to find something else I like in just a few minutes, given the options. Besides, I am 'working' most of the time, I average about 12 hours a day because I like the job. You will find me cruising around to various campsite jams at 2 or 3am most days. Then back up at 7 and do it all again.
 I spent my evening getting the Mule changed over from mini-logger mode to festival mode. Peeling off the decals from the last fest so I can put the ones on for this fest tomorrow in good light. I dumped all the logging and sawing gear in the mill shed and brought up the stove and some other stuff. Fixed a few things that needed it and cleaned out a years worth of collected junk in the glove boxes. I fixed the FM antenna that I only use at the fests, got the CD player secured, repacking my tool bags, etc. Tomorrow I switch to packing personal stuff and the campsite gear. It;s a good party with good people, and hard work and long days just make me comfortable (but I am done doing the overnight shifts, I see to be a 'shift magnet' never did I get more than 15 minutes sleep). 

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2019, 08:49:55 PM »
This should be under the 'Did something dumb today' thread, but the were so injuries so it doesn't quite qualify. However the number of mistakes I made make it very humorous and even embarrassing for me. But I can laugh at myself. I was doing pretty good on my packing  and prep for my weeks work and somehow got the thought "Hey wouldn't it be neat if I took one of those odd slabs down at the mill, finished it up quick and used the stove stands as legs. We would have a nice little slab bar. That should be easy.'
Well, the slab I grabbed was a split working it's way into two stems. There was bark to clean out between them in order to get to solid wood. I was going to do a 'quick pour' (hold that thought) to fill cracks, sand it in the morning, put on some danish pile, then a couple of coats of verathane and it should be good enough to go on Monday Morning.
 SO a lot of folks say you can use blue painters tape to seal a crack on the bottom side and pour epoxy over it/ "It works great!" they say. Yeah...  well, no, not really. But I am all about making the mistakes, once. So I tried it, I had a bunch to fill and only one shot. I mixed up all I had left, hoping it would cover. It started well, then it all started draining out. tried a few things with no luck and wound up with 20 bucks worth of epoxy in a puddle on the ground. From the top it didn't look too bad.

I laughed and got a beer and went to sit in the hot tub and laugh at myself. I was pretty disgusted with what I had done. After I changed and had dinner I went out to try and salvage it. Wow, I had a hard time just getting ti off the support wood and needed a pry bar. Then peeling off the rap I had under it was another issue, got that foo and found this big 3/8" thick blob on the bottom. I shouldn't have waited. Well, that is a lesson well learned now.

SO water pump pliers, knife, and chisel went to work to try and get the bulk off. What a neat-o' mess! I dang near undid all the fine effort my Chiropractor did yesterday.

I got a bunch and left some, it should sand OK when fully cured. There is enough cured solid in the bottom of the split that it should hold fine on a second pour, (I can't believe I am saying that, here we go again) but at this point I don't know if I can get it workable in a timely manner. Maybe if I start at 5am or earlier?
I am still wondering why I am doing this and 'just for fun' is the only answer I can come up with, but it doesn't feel like fun just yet. I am squeezing in something I don't have the time for and don't need to do. Maybe it's the challenge of throwing it together on short notice.
I'll let you know what happens, even if it's a bust, but I don't accept failure well. Tomorrow might be a long day.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #207 on: July 13, 2019, 09:01:11 PM »
Don't skimp on the tape over the bottom  :D Any little side cracks or internal checks, and it WILL find them. I tend to put on a couple of layers, running at 90. Then put down newspapers as well. Yes I've glued a newspaper to the bottom of the slab a couple of times. I also plane / sand roughly before I epoxy, any saw marks make it easy for the goo to sneak out past the tape. 

At least you got to it before it glued itself to the table completely. Anyway, nothing is ruined, and it can be fixed with some time and muttered bad words
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #208 on: July 13, 2019, 09:18:48 PM »
Funny, I did almost all that. I had pre-sanded to level it all, took and air hose and blew all the dust out, got good tape holds, put the tarp under it just in case. and yeah. it did adhere to the table. I actually could not get it off without a pry bar and it pulled some wood OF the table that stuck to the slab. One thing I will say, this epoxy is strong! Trying to decide if I have the time to pull it off tomorrow, It will be a "Table top in a day project" if I can fit it in between packing the truck and trailer.
 All in good fun right? :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Fire Season 2019

Started by Riwaka on Forestry and Logging

0 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 08:54:24 PM
by Riwaka
xx
Watcha Not Sawing 2019

Started by YellowHammer on General Board

18 Replies
Last post June 24, 2019, 08:42:38 AM
by Crusarius