iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Saws

Started by mcourtney, September 23, 2014, 09:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcourtney

Just wanted to ask everyone if your thoughts were the same as mine. I've bought several new model Huskys during the past year and I think they're nothing as good as my older ones they have replaced. I seem to be at two dealers all the time getting warranty work done. Glad I still have a couple older models in the garage.

mad murdock

Welcome mcourtney. I am of the old school. I think that the EPA has killed saw performance. If you want a good saw, you have to look back to a classic, or mod a newer one to perform as it should. I have an affinity towards black and yellow :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Southside

I have heard that a lot so when my 660 died this spring I put in a new head and piston, $200 and she is good as new. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mad murdock

Quote from: Southside logger on September 24, 2014, 12:43:02 AM
I have heard that a lot so when my 660 died this spring I put in a new head and piston, $200 and she is good as new.
Money well spent, IMO 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

lynde37avery

my uncle had an old 440 stihl rebuilt for $250. and now i got a lead on a like new 372xp husky for $350 cash
older is fine by me.
Detroit WHAT?

Andyshine77

Quote from: mcourtney on September 23, 2014, 09:30:29 PM
Just wanted to ask everyone if your thoughts were the same as mine. I've bought several new model Huskys during the past year and I think they're nothing as good as my older ones they have replaced. I seem to be at two dealers all the time getting warranty work done. Glad I still have a couple older models in the garage.

I'm curious, what are they repairing? Is it simple stuff, or top end rebuilds?

I've found modern saws to be as reliable, and in most cases more reliable than older models. Obviously they're exception to that statement.
Andre.

mcourtney

The problems are carburetion and ignition on two new 365xt's and oilers on a 346xp and a 372 xt xp. I've got an old 254xp and a394xp that are 20 years old and it's a shame that I still count on them as much as I do.So much for modern engine development. I also think the older saws feel better in the cut too, more control I suppose.

beenthere

QuoteI also think the older saws feel better in the cut too,

After 29 years using the old 1975 Stihl 041, it was strange when first using the MS361 because I didn't think it was cutting. Thought it was the chain, then something about the saw, and kept forcing it.
Finally dawned on me that the anti-vib was the difference. Couldn't "feel" it cutting.
Much better after getting used to the anti-vib  but is a bit of a rough ride picking up the O41.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rooster 58

Yeah, I had an O41AV. It was a great saw, but the newer saws are a lot more user friendly, IMO ;)

sawguy21

The 041 was my favorite when I started working at a Stihl dealership. I can't believe how heavy and slow it has gotten. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Maine logger88

There were definitely some great saws made back in the day. But I really like the new stuff especially the newer AV
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Andyshine77

The 365/372 xt have in fact seen some carb issues. Spike would be able to fill us in on the details. I do believe they're more carb issues than their once was. A combination of EPA, Ethanol and lower quality IMHO. Never seen or heard of oiler problems with the 346, or any saw in that series. You are using bar oil correct?
Andre.

Al_Smith

I for one have no idea about a "new" saw .They are with few exceptions  usually at least 20 years old before I get my hot little hands on them .Those exceptions for me are a pair of Stihl MS 200T's .

Now I've operated a few rather new ones .Stihl MS 460 which impressed me and 441 which did not .

I might add also a 660 compaired to an older 066 is not the great saw the 066 became a legion on .They don't belong on the same page .Just my opinion  .

Enderslbz

I think this applies to a lot of things nowadays. I find myself selling off my newer things and replacing it with much older stuff. I use my great grandfathers XL-2 constantly around the yard, I use an 031AV that was a hand-me-down from my father the most after that, and I found that I really needed something bigger, so I bought an 056AV Magnum II off the internets a few days ago.  Sold an 06 GMC with a duramax and replaced it with a 72 GMC for my tow rig too... :)
Stihl 056AV MagnumII
Stihl MS 361
Stihl 261 C-M
Homelite XL2
Homelite Super 2

Southside

I was with you until you said you sold a GM with an LBZ in it..... was something terribly wrong with it?  Did the doors fall or or something?  What does that '72 have for an engine??
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Enderslbz

I didn't use it as much as I used to and I could use the money to put towards the house I'm renovating.  Felt bad having it sit as much as it did so I sold it.  The 72 has a 400 small block and is going to get me through 6 months or so till I can get the rust free 79 crew-cab 1 ton 4x4 I bought ready.  Going to swap a 12 valve cummins into that for good mileage.
Stihl 056AV MagnumII
Stihl MS 361
Stihl 261 C-M
Homelite XL2
Homelite Super 2

JohnG28

Welcome aboard. I live in New Hartford.  :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Maine logger88

Old chevys with a Cummins swap are sweet I have all the stuff to do an 82 regular cab except time lol. Of course I love my lbz too. What are you going to use for a trans nv4500?

Southside

Ahh - that makes sense, going to have to post pictures of that 12V conversion when she is done, that should make a sweet set up.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Enderslbz

Yeah, NV4500 and ideally out of a 2wd truck. That crew cab has a 4 speed and a divorced NP205 so that would be a pretty straightforward swap.
Stihl 056AV MagnumII
Stihl MS 361
Stihl 261 C-M
Homelite XL2
Homelite Super 2

Maine logger88

Yeh that would be good. Then only other way if you only could find a 4x4 trans and transfer would be use the dodge Dana 60 too. Maybe we should start a new thread about 12v conversions lol seems how we pretty much hijacked this thread haha

Enderslbz

I started a new thread on this. Thought it was worth a talk  8)
Stihl 056AV MagnumII
Stihl MS 361
Stihl 261 C-M
Homelite XL2
Homelite Super 2

Thank You Sponsors!