The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: When You Buy From a Small Business  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
Re: When You Buy From a Small Business
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 09:18:56 AM »
Most our major farm implement dealers have been bought out or franchised with others to more or less monopolize their retail sales in tractors, combine cotton pickers; repairmen now get $110.00 @hour labor. Most my neighbor farmers are 5000 acre plus. So, what chance does the small medium sized farmer have with large dealers...none. What is competitive are winter farm implement auctions.

Rare is the neighbor-farmer to give a helping hand, most roll and blow by so fast, and not a nod or wave. I've one farmer who is so arrogant,, his tractors, planters, and big spray-rigs use one of our fields for a turn-row, and fill-up area. He may come by later in the season and say,"if we ever do anything you don't want, we'll make it right!" ha-ha...I catch his drift.

If I did not want him to do that I would have a talk with him. no_no boxingsmiley
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline r.man

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 09:38:45 AM »
I buy all my gas at the local station. I tried to do the same with the former owner but after 5 or 6 times of him being out of fuel or closed for a few days because he was out I started filling up when I was passing through neighbouring towns. He went under and we went for almost two years with the closest station 5 miles away in the direction I don't normally go so a round trip of 10 miles sometimes before you go to work. I pass cheaper gas all the time but only buy a bit if I am going to run out. I like having a local station and I think that ultimately we kill our own little towns by trying to save a bit of money that we can afford to spend.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Offline chain

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 10:26:31 AM »
Most our major farm implement dealers have been bought out or franchised with others to more or less monopolize their retail sales in tractors, combine cotton pickers; repairmen now get $110.00 @hour labor. Most my neighbor farmers are 5000 acre plus. So, what chance does the small medium sized farmer have with large dealers...none. What is competitive are winter farm implement auctions.

Rare is the neighbor-farmer to give a helping hand, most roll and blow by so fast, and not a nod or wave. I've one farmer who is so arrogant,, his tractors, planters, and big spray-rigs use one of our fields for a turn-row, and fill-up area. He may come by later in the season and say,"if we ever do anything you don't want, we'll make it right!" ha-ha...I catch his drift.

If I did not want him to do that I would have a talk with him. no_no boxingsmiley

One of my principles is to always try and keep good neighbors. I think I had reported on our Tree Farm, a neighbor cut the property line fence, cut many of our young pine from a field, made shooting lanes &  blinds, and baited with corn, salt blocks and other type feeders. Obvious, all they had to do was shoot the turkeys or deer and drag about 200 hundred feet to their home. Of course I had a talk with them, denial, "we just love to see wildlife", I said, well, there's going to be several foresters, and game wardens and like, working our timber very soon. The neighbors cleaned it all up, at least they wave at me now.

But the farmer, he would never trespass on me if I was present, always when I'm elsewhere.

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2014, 10:51:14 AM »
I do 90% of my fuel business and 100% of my saw supplies in my hometown.  Fuel is slightly more expensive but he also buys his own home heating wood and firewood bundles for the store from me.  The saw shop has the best prices around and he also buys his firewood from me.  I get as many maintenance parts and oils as I can from the Car Quest in the town north of us.  They're very good to deal with.  We do have a local NAPA but he never has what I need when I need it and I'll just say I don't appreciate his sense of humor.  All that said if I have the opportunity to get something for less elsewhere I will  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline hardtailjohn

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2014, 10:51:55 AM »
The small local stores are all fine, and I try to utilize them when it's feasible......  but one thing you have to remember is that when you walk into that big store, you're also looking at "locals" that work there. If it weren't for that store, they wouldn't have a job. Something to keep in mind.  I also know from experience that alot of those big stores provide a better job for their workers than a small store can, with benefits, etc.  Don't get me wrong...I'm all about the small town stuff...I'm one of them....but I'm also about looking at the bigger picture too.  Our youngest daughter works at Walmart.... I sure get sick of hearing how terrible they treat their empoyees...from everyone that doesn't work there.  She makes a good wage, and has health insurance...something she wouldn't be able to have at a smaller store. So please, don't be so quick to badmouth the big deals, as they aren't always a bad deal in my opinion.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Offline MikeHup

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 11:42:05 AM »
I go out of my way to help out our neighbor business'.

Offline Nate379

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2014, 01:43:29 PM »
That's why I buy local when I can, and not from the big box store, even if it's a bit more $$.  The big box store doesn't care about you, your family, how xyz piece of equipment is running, etc.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Small business

Started by codyleviere on Sawmills and Milling

28 Replies
Last post February 20, 2016, 02:00:13 PM
by codyleviere
xx
What's your experience with small business?

Started by Kelvin on Sawmills and Milling

21 Replies
Last post July 15, 2004, 09:10:24 AM
by Percy
xx
Small Firewood Business

Started by colincb183 on Firewood and Wood Heating

10 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 09:00:49 AM
by Corley5
xx
Small Lumber Business