TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Processor bars  (Read 2697 times)

Offline drlewis

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Processor bars
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 05:21:01 PM »
where do you get the bar rail grinders. i  had  to hand grind my bars after about 30 or 40 cords thats the oregon bars  getting  about 100 cords  from them . frostbite bars are gone in 50 cords, been in alot of mud lots this year too.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 07:04:50 PM »
 We bought ours from baileys about 15-16 ? Yrs ago. Ours is a "silvey" which is no more, but they have another one. The trick with the grinder is we have another bench grinder next to it, before you run the bar thru, just lightly clean the extra pushed steel back from the bar edges, doesnt take much. Not straight, tipping the bar on edge, and nice and quick. Then run it thru the bar grinder.

Offline Nate379

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 12:55:04 PM »
Birch isn't softwood.  It's actually harder than many of the L48 hardwoods. 23.6 million BTUs a cord.  Better than oak, maple, etc.  95% of what I cut is birch.
First processor they had at the shop was a little Mulitec and it self destructed itself, the birch was too hard.

I sharpen the chain every 8-10 cords, I have no reason to grind the bar that often.  I do it maybe every 100-150 cords.

The wood I sell is stacked on the truck so all the junk is shoveled out and burned in a "campfire" or in the shop stove.

Cutting softwood... as I suspected.  :D 
  We run some hemlock and WP thru our processor ever year for the outside stove, goes like butter. Frozen HM with a touch of mud, snow and ice takes the life out of a chain, and beats the rails up pretty good. We dont leave much in the woods, if its over 22-24" and ugly we sell it log length but otherwise it gets trimmed and ran thru. If  you get 200 cord on a bar its long since paid for itself, @ 250 a cord thats 50,000  ;)  Bar rail grinder is one of the best things ever, grind and flip every 10-15 cord. Having a new chip separator made for my conveyor this week, the cleaner the wood the more you sell around here.

Offline Nate379

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 12:57:49 PM »
Birch isn't softwood.  It's actually harder than many of the L48 hardwoods. 23.6 million BTUs a cord.  Better than oak, maple, etc.  95% of what I cut is birch.
First processor they had at the shop was a little Mulitec and it self destructed itself, the birch was too hard.

I sharpen the chain every 8-10 cords, I have no reason to grind the bar that often.  I do it maybe every 100-150 cords.

The wood I sell is stacked on the truck so all the junk is shoveled out and burned in a "campfire" or in the shop stove.

Baileys sells rail grinders but a spinny disc bench sander works just as well.

Cutting softwood... as I suspected.  :D 
  We run some hemlock and WP thru our processor ever year for the outside stove, goes like butter. Frozen HM with a touch of mud, snow and ice takes the life out of a chain, and beats the rails up pretty good. We dont leave much in the woods, if its over 22-24" and ugly we sell it log length but otherwise it gets trimmed and ran thru. If  you get 200 cord on a bar its long since paid for itself, @ 250 a cord thats 50,000  ;)  Bar rail grinder is one of the best things ever, grind and flip every 10-15 cord. Having a new chip separator made for my conveyor this week, the cleaner the wood the more you sell around here.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 01:35:18 PM »
 Oh boy....
 Eastern white-silver and black birch is an acceptable hardwood to sell in limited quantity per cord of firewood. Im showing 19.5-20 btu per cord, about equal to cherry and tamerack. It lasts about 1 yr from stump to stove or you have punky firewood. Maybe your birch is harder but we treat it as a tiny notch above softwood. 1-2 logs per load. HM, SM, RO, Ash is what your going to find around here. Ive run ironwood and pig hickory thru my processor without issue, 6,000 cords and going strong. I see a woodbine rapido loco 60" in the future.

Offline Nate379

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 04:37:37 PM »
Yes, its Alaska Birch which is sorta a hybrid if paper birch and river/black birch.  23.6 million BTUs per cord according to AK Dept if Forestry.

I grew up in Norther Maine so I know what you mean.  There birch is consider almost to be junk, much how we treat cottonwood here.

Offline Maine logger88

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't force it get a bigger hammer
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2014, 05:36:08 PM »
Yeah I sell most of my birch for HW pulp cause people don't like much in there firewood like barge monkey said a few logs in a load is fine but any over that and people complain.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2014, 05:53:29 PM »
Yes, its Alaska Birch which is sorta a hybrid if paper birch and river/black birch.  23.6 million BTUs per cord according to AK Dept if Forestry.

I grew up in Norther Maine so I know what you mean.  There birch is consider almost to be junk, much how we treat cottonwood here.

Paper birch is about 4 million BTU's per cord less than Black birch, but with cottonwood at 12-13 million, not too similar to Paper birch. All give about the same heat per pound of dry wood. So have to lug around a bit more volume to get the same heat.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Nate379

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 02:40:14 PM »
Cottonwood is 14.5 million btus per cord.

http://www.alaskawoodheating.com/energy_content.php

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2014, 05:03:11 PM »
Won't argue over a million or so.  ;D

These numbers are very general, at best. And only relative in terms of something to rank various woods high to low.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Nate379

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 03:12:48 PM »
Was having some trouble with my processor not cutting right.  It wanted to cut crooked even with a good sharp chain.  I thought maybe I didn't have my chain grinder dialed in right, but a brand new chain was giving me the same trouble.

I pulled the bar off and found that for whatever reason one rail had worn over 1/16" more than the other one.  I've never had that happen, so not sure why.

I trued it up on the chainsaw bar grinder and pinched the rails back together (they were spread a bit) and now it works like a champ.

I have about 340 machine hours on this bar, though I wonder if the hour meter works correctly.  I sold just under 500 cords last year and I've done about 240 so far this year.  I can't see 740 cords in 340 hours, that doesn't make sense!
In any case it's original to the machine which I bought brand new in June 2013 so almost over 1.5 years of use.  Still has plenty of life left in it.

Offline Nate379

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2014, 03:17:07 PM »
As far as the rail grinder, we have this one at the shop, just an older model.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Bars/Guide-Bar-Maintenance-Tools/Bar-Rail-Grinder-with-Grinder-Wheel.axd

This for pinching the rails:
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Bars/Guide-Bar-Maintenance-Tools/WoodlandPRO-Chain-Saw-Bar-Rail-Closer.axd

Lost the old one we had and I just bought a new one.  I paid $45 for it a month ago... go figure now on sale for dirt cheap!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
processor bars

Started by Randy88 on Firewood and Wood Heating

7 Replies
Last post August 07, 2014, 06:39:15 AM
by Randy88
xx
Processor bars.

Started by BargeMonkey on Forestry and Logging

20 Replies
Last post November 08, 2015, 06:37:32 AM
by Ken