iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Elm hat

Started by Den-Den, October 21, 2014, 02:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den-Den

This is for the Texas Forestry Association annual meeting auction; I will be trying to turn another one as a demo later today.

You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

21incher

That is just amazing! Thanks for sharing. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

r.man

Beautiful work, now to show how little I know about things like this, can you wear it?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

thecfarm

Den-Den did you do that!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

WOW that's awesome   it would have been in the stove if i tried to do that   

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LaneC

That is very nice. Watch out for the  woodpeckers :D
Man makes plans and God smiles

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Do you make them to a certain size? Very nice Den.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bill Gaiche

yukon cornelius

if I had to make an elm hat it would just be a regular hat and I would write elm on it. That thing is amazing!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

LeeB

What size is it and what's the minmum bid?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

How did you shape the brim? is it steam bent? I'm not normally a hat wearer but I would sport that with pride.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

mesquite buckeye

Cool. ;D

I want to see one made from some good Texas mesquite. ;D ;D ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Den-Den

Thanks for all the compliments.

Quote from: thecfarm on October 21, 2014, 07:30:13 PM
Den-Den did you do that!!!!
Yes, I made it.
Quote from: r.man on October 21, 2014, 06:54:03 PM
Beautiful work, now to show how little I know about things like this, can you wear it?
Yes, they are wearable but tend to be warm.  Many people are surprised that the weight is no more than a felt hat.
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 21, 2014, 09:41:03 PM
Do you make them to a certain size? Very nice Den.
I have made them to fit a certain person, but it is a little more complicated than just size; the hat needs be shaped to match.
Quote from: LeeB on October 22, 2014, 01:55:13 AM
The size is 7-1/4.  It was sold in a live auction; went for $225 (less than half value in my opinion)
Quote from: LeeB on October 22, 2014, 01:57:37 AM
How did you shape the brim? is it steam bent? I'm not normally a hat wearer but I would sport that with pride.
The hat is turned from fresh cut wood and clamped in a jig while drying.  Elm is a good choice as it shrinks quite a bit and bends without splitting.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

jueston

Quote from: Den-Den on October 22, 2014, 12:40:48 PM

Quote from: LeeB on October 22, 2014, 01:55:13 AM
The size is 7-1/4.  It was sold in a live auction; went for $225 (less than half value in my opinion)

i have had the same thing happen several times, i put something in an auction and it goes for very little, and its almost always someone i know well who buys it, and i would have made one for them had they asked. but every one of my big several thousand dollar sales has been as a result of people seeing my work at auctions, so you shouldn't get to down about the price, people may be contacting you saying they saw the hat you made and they want something just like it. or like in my case, they want 50 or something just like it.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I would have bid $300 if it fit my noggin.  :)

WmFritz

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 22, 2014, 08:58:03 PM

I'm sure it could be sized fur yer noggin real easy.
It just needs a couple holes drilled in it for yer horns.   ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

That looks better than mighty nice!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LeeB

I have a couple of 5 gallon buckets.  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: LeeB on October 22, 2014, 09:32:35 PM

I have a couple of 5 gallon buckets.  :D

:o :o :o :o :o Tough crowd tonight.

Magicman

That is a true eye popper Den-Den.  :o You do beautiful work. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

jueston is right, my wife saw it and well.... Very nice work!

mad murdock

Very impressive handiwork!! that is incredible :o
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

low_48

Beautiful job, somebody stole it at that price!

phinds

That's really impressive work. Beautiful choice of wood, too ... REALLY fits the project perfectly with the heartwood/sapwood combination. I admire your skill.

you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

rooster 58

Now how did he do that say_what

low_48

Quote from: rooster 58 on October 31, 2014, 07:11:17 AM
Now how did he do that say_what

Johannes Michelson is the woodturner that has pretty much spread the word and knowledge of hat turning. Great guy and he sells DVDs and tools so you can make your own. Takes a 150 pound block and get it to a couple pounds or less when done.  I think you can buy one for around $2,000, but that might be on the low side now. I could have bought one for $500 when I first saw him at a symposium in St. Louis in the late 90s   http://www.woodhat.com

JohnM

Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

petefrom bearswamp

Beautiful hat.
You are truly talented
Went way too low IMO.
I once made 2 Cherry end tables for the church time and talent auc that went for 75 bucks.
I no longer do this I would rather give $
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

phinds

I have a wood ID web site that is very familiar to folks on most wood forums, although I think not so much on this forum. Anyway, in the 12 years I've maintained the site, I have previously asked on exactly one occasion for permission to use a woodworker's specific pics to add to the 15,000 or so that I have taken myself (and the other 25,000 I've lifted from various web sites). This was a wide variety of nicely turned bowls by Tom Pleatman, showing a lot of different domestics.

I was so impressed by Dennis's hat that I decided to do it (ask for pics) again and he kindly sent me pics of several of his hats. Very impressive work. I like the hats for the same reason I like bowls ... they show off all different angles of wood grain, flat cut, quartersawn, end grain and so forth. And of course, the hats also have the advantage of more artistic flair than bowls.

Thanks for the pics, Dennis. I was going to post them here in modest-sized form for all to see but I would have to put them in "my" gallery and that just doesn't seem appropriate. I think you should post them, though. You work deserves more bragging than you are doing.  ;D

Oh, and by the way, they'll go up to my site the next time I do a site mirror.

WDH

phinds,

Your website is awesome.  Best on the web for seeing and understanding wood structure.  I refer to it a lot. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

phinds

Quote from: WDH on November 02, 2014, 07:46:28 PM
phinds,

Your website is awesome.  Best on the web for seeing and understanding wood structure.  I refer to it a lot.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the feedback.

lowpolyjoe

That's amazing.  Beautiful work

Thank You Sponsors!