iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: National FFA Forestry Results (Pictures too)  (Read 5315 times)

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
Re: National FFA Forestry Results (Pictures too)
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2015, 05:09:51 PM »
Beenthere, Kathleen High School FFA is the FFA chapter that had the forestry team that represented Florida at the annual FFA Forestry CDE (career development event).  39 states sent teams.  There were over 65,000 FFA members and guests registered at the 2015 FFA National Convention that was held in Louisville last week. 

This is quite an accomplishment for these students.  They prepared for a rigorous written test, chainsaw troubleshooting and safety, USGS topo map interpretation, compass and pacing, timber estimation, forest disorders, dendrology, TSI, wood and wood products id, interview, a team activity, and forest business management problems.  They did not know which they would be tested on until the day of the event. 
Caveman
Caveman

Offline pine

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 06:09:25 PM »
Not only can you be proud of your students and the work they put into this endeavor but you should be proud of yourself for the amount of time and effort that you have devoted to getting these kids out and seeing the real world and the environment that matters. (not concrete and not video games)

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2015, 08:18:55 PM »
Yes, a great job!
~Ron

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2015, 08:21:32 PM »
Wow!  Repeat national Champions.  That is quite an accomplishment.  I am proud of you.  You are doing a fine thing leading these students.  You are making a great positive impact on their lives. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2015, 09:17:24 PM »
WDH left us a shortleaf pine sample in a red maple tree at the Perry, Georgia Cracker Barrel.  We found it in short order.  My parents brought us a pitch pine sample that he gave me directions to that was near Clayton, Georgia.  We left Louisville at 3 pm yesterday, passed through Perry, Georgia at 10:45 last night and rolled into my driveway in Lakeland at 3:35 this morning, which was really 2:35 (after the time change).  Each team member was given a Husqvarna ax that is laser engraved with "2015 National Champion Forestry CDE" and a plaque stating the same with their names on them.  They were recognized on the national FFA convention stage yesterday afternoon (televised on RFDTV).  We would have left early yesterday morning had they not won and would have gotten home at a reasonable hour but it was certainly worth hanging around for the final convention session.
Kyle

Caveman

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 10:31:53 AM »
Time now for a well deserved rest.
Congrats on a job well done. 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 07:00:04 PM »
I wish there was time to rest, our students participate in the state forestry contest next week.  They are working every day during class and after school and all day on Veteran's Day to prepare for the event.  The way it works, is that if a student wins a state contest, they cannot participate in another district or state contest.  They only get one shot at nationals, whether they win or not.  The group going to the state is relatively inexperienced.

Also, Saturday we will haul hogs to Tampa to get their ears tagged for the state fair show.  This week will be crazy-need to weigh all of the hogs at school and several that are raised at students' homes.  After the hog tagging Saturday and a U12 soccer game, JMoore and I have to saw a mystery log for a fellow who called me today during forestry practice.  Rest may occur during Thanks Giving week.
Caveman
Caveman

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2015, 03:24:59 PM »
A little late seeing this but CONGRATULATIONS!!! (once again I might add), it's great to hear this!

Offline kiko

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2015, 02:01:03 AM »
The FFA is very meaningful  to my daughter.  She did land judging in high school and her team made to the nationals in Oklahoma.  She represented Auburn University at the 2015 national convention.  She is studying agricultural education at Auburn.  Keep up the good work with the kids!

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2015, 08:33:43 PM »
Kiko,
Your daughter may know Lauren Lewis Coe.  She now works at Auburn in the agriculture department and is an awesome individual.

Our FFA chapter has competed at the national land judging contest in Oklahoma the past four years.  Two years ago, our students were fortunate enough to finish 2nd in land and 4th in homesite (one of my daughters was on that team).  I do not know much about land judging but I know how to drive the van, dig the holes and set up the slopes using the transit.  Last year we had several tornado sirens sound throughout the night-a new experience for a Florida boy.  The FFA
Caveman

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2015, 08:45:12 PM »
The FFA has provided a lot of students a lot of opportunities that they would not have otherwise have had.  Last week, we took our forestry team to the state contest in Perry, Florida.  One of the students lives in a housing project and goes inside his apartment as soon as he gets home.  Taking him into the swamp near my house for practice, walking through O'Leno State Park and participating in the state forestry CDE was a great experience for this young man.  Another one of our students is currently living in the third residence since August has had the opportunity to learn about forestry and accompany the team to all of the practice and event locations has benefitted from the experience.  At the contest last week our kids finished 4th (we won the past two years at the state and national level).  They were disappointed in their performance but I was pleased with the progress they made in such a short time.  A team from Plant City, Durant FFA, will represent Florida next year at the national forestry CDE.

Caveman
Caveman

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2018, 12:38:28 PM »
2018 National FFA Forestry Contest
The Kathleen FFA team from Lakeland, Florida placed 5th overall in the event that teams from 39 states participated in.  They exceeded my expectations for them.  The team from WV won and they were deserving champions.

The trip took a little over a week.  Last Saturday, October 20, students started arriving at my house around 5:30 a.m.  We left about an hour later.  My teacher friend who now teaches at my old school (Kathleen) arrived a little late due to an alarm that was set to p.m. instead of a.m.  I had not seen one of the students, Jacob, since last spring when he left to go to Gainesville to attend UF.  We were pushing to get to WDH's place to meet with him for a visit and to try to obtain a little bit of his vast knowledge of all things forestry related.  The students were incredibly impressed with Danny.  He spent over two hours of his busy day to show them around his place.  We had a long way to travel and he had to get to Customsawyer's birthday festivities.

A little after dark we arrived at my parents' place off of a forestry service road near Ivy Log, Ga.  The students settled in while I grilled some pork chops and Andrea, one of the KHS FFA advisors, fixed the other components of the meal.  Early the next morning we awoke to 34F temperatures and a brisk north wind - perfect conditions for a group of young folks from the flatlands of Florida, where daytime highs have been in the mid 90's everyday for months to go for a walk along the ridge.  We took a three or four mile walk looking at white pines and a variety of hardwoods.  They were learning to timber cruise hardwoods for the first time.  After our walk they were given a team activity that turned out to be very similar to what they would get at the contest, fortunately.  I had them estimate a plot that I had staked off, determine the varieties and volume of all of the trees above 12" dbh, determine the size of the plot, estimate the steepest slope on the plot and a few other tasks to let them work through.  Later that afternoon, we walked through a park in Blairesville, Ga., to see some more of the trees on their dendrology list.

Monday morning we met with a forestry biologist from the Chattahoochee National Forest and two silviculturists who work with the Chattahoochee National Forest and Ocoee.  The students asked them questions about best management practices in their forests, endangered species, forest pests (native and invasive), urban forestry, and multiple use forestry.  Monday afternoon the group went to Brasstown Bald.  The weather was great and the Atlanta skyline could vaguely be seen in the distance.
That evening, they each compared their notes on the 10 possible forest interview topic that could be presented to them during the team interview portion of the contest, we partially disassembled a chainsaw (on the dining room table) and went over parts, techniques and safety and then each got ready for an early departure the next morning.

Tuesday morning we left a little after 7 a.m., fueled up the Suburban and I got the first of several cups of coffee.  We had reservations at Mammoth Cave for 3 p.m. (I have been wanting to go inside for many years).  We arrived early and they were able to change our tour to the 1 p.m. group.  The immensity of the cave was incredible.  The steps and handrails detracted from the experience - most of the two miles we walked had them.  There are evidently 410 miles of the cave we did not see during our two hour tour.  After a quick picnic lunch we loaded up and pointed the car north and headed for the hotel which was a half hour north of INDY.

Wednesday morning team pictures were taken, a contest meeting with all of the forestry teams took place.  Immediately following the meeting, the students took the written test and did the forestry team issues component.  Andrea and I met the team around 4 p.m. and headed back to the hotel change, eat and study for Thursdays events.  We spread out several USGS topo maps on the table in my room and reviewed legal land descriptions, elevations, map symbols and everything else we could think of that might be asked on a map test.

Thursday, at 6:10 I took them to the Indiana State Fairgrounds to board a bus with the 38 other teams for the trip to Morgan Monroe State Forest to complete the remaining contest components (which turned out to be forest products and wood i.d., dendrology, compass and pacing, and a team activity.  I caught a but at 1:00 p.m. to take the advisors to the contest for a review and to meet the teams.  We reviewed the challenging contest and made it back to the fairgrounds around 6 p.m.  The weather was phenomenal - sunny and cool all week until Friday.  Supper was eaten and the pressure was off.  I was proud of their efforts.

Friday at noon, the Forestry CDE banquet was held in the downtown Hilton.  The Florida team won the highest team event score and finished 5th overall.  I really appreciate the help from all of the folks who made this trip possible for these young folks.  Three of them graduated high school last year and are now in college and have jobs at Publix Supermarkets which made regular practices a logistical challenge.  The one who is still in high school transferred to the school where I now teach.  I left Kathleen after the 2016-17 school year but continued to work with some of the students with forestry, horticulture and occasionally a hog or two.

We left the hotel at 5:38 a.m. and began the drive back to Lakeland, Florida.  At 8:15 p.m. we pulled into the driveway after a 1000 mile drive.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2018, 06:41:46 PM »
Sounds like a great educational trip. Well done!
~Ron

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2018, 08:02:13 PM »
Good job to all!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2018, 09:41:04 PM »
Caveman,
Once again congratulations on helping to lead a team to such a great showing.  You are very devoted to helping the youngsters, good for you.  Also cudos to WDH for his help and time.  What a difference you guys are making by helping these kids.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2018, 08:25:46 AM »
What a fantastic finish.  Finishing first in the Team event has to make you doubly proud as that speaks to the strength of the overall team.  You rigorous prep work and study really paid off.  I also really enjoyed meeting the team and being able to spend a little time with them. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2018, 01:14:23 PM »
This was a great trip with some fabulous young folks.  They definitely benefitted from the practice and the exposure to experts on the way up.  
Caveman

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2018, 08:07:34 PM »
Well how about that, John C just posted over on the countryplans site, the overall winners were from his neck of the woods. His family has been active with FFA for some years. The post is here;
https://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=15067.0

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2018, 08:48:23 PM »
Scott Garber coached the Pocahontas, WV team.  His team finished 2nd behind ours in 2015.  When my team was practicing, I told them that if they beat WV and Ga. that they would be in good shape.  Scott is a good guy and I really enjoyed watching his reaction when he found out that his team had won.  That is a special feeling for the FFA members and the advisors too.  Most never experience a national championship.  

Thank you for putting that link on this thread.
Caveman

Offline WLC

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2018, 02:54:10 PM »
Congratulations!! Awesome experience for these young people.

Where you stopped in GA is my old stomping grounds.  Brasstown Bald is a short distance from my home town of Helen.  Interesting too that you met Jim.  I didnt know him well as he worked on a different district than I did, but have met him on several occasions.  Small world.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cradle of Forestry - Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina

Started by warren46 on General Board

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2014, 07:49:42 AM
by Magicman
xx
Shawnee National Forest - Supervisory Forestry Technician (Fire Operations)

Started by Doug_D on Job Opportunities

0 Replies
Last post July 17, 2012, 09:33:55 AM
by Doug_D
xx
MDNR Urban & Community Forestry Project/PICTURES!

Started by AtLast on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2003, 05:43:02 PM
by Tom
xx
what to do for the best results?

Started by paul case on Ask The Forester

24 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 05:30:08 PM
by SwampDonkey