iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where would you cut the nose on an old cant hook?

Started by shinnlinger, November 18, 2014, 09:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hello,

I recently made a new handle for my old cant hook on the lathe.  I even did my first offset turning on the butt of the handle of which I am very proud, but that is not the reason for this post.  Being an old style without a nose, I was going to just call it good but then it occurred to me I could put some copper fittings (or some kind of cleat) on the business end of the tool if I turned it down some more.  I also suspect it is longer than it needs to be and perhaps I should shorten the nose a bit while I am at it to roughly where the copper fittings are.

Any pointers?

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gideon_70

Quote from: shinnlinger on November 18, 2014, 09:05:27 PM
Hello,

I recently made a new handle for my old cant hook on the lathe.  I even did my first offset turning on the butt of the handle of which I am very proud, but that is not the reason for this post.  Being an old style without a nose, I was going to just call it good but then it occurred to me I could put some copper fittings (or some kind of cleat) on the business end of the tool if I turned it down some more.  I also suspect it is longer than it needs to be and perhaps I should shorten the nose a bit while I am at it to roughly where the copper fittings are.

Any pointers?

I have two of them.  One I use to unload trailers with, and it's great because it's long at the nose and lets me lift the log a bit - but it doesn't work well at the mill because the nose gets in the way.  So I guess it'll depend on what you are doing with it.
You cannot reduce crime by disarming the victims!

shinnlinger

Thanks WDH,

Had some fun with these projects.  A student wanted to turn a peavy handle and then another wanted to make an ax handle so of course I had to show them how to do it an now we are making handles left and right.  Made a double bit throwing ax handle today for the dartmouth woodsman team.

cfarm,
The log right site shows the cant hook on a log, but not folded up so it is hard to gauge where their snout ends, but it is shorter than mine

Gideon,

Do you have a Peavy for the trailer and a cant hook for the mill or a long nosed cant hook for the trailer and a short one for the mill?
Shinnlinger

Onthesauk

Go to Google, Imagines, Cant Hook.  Should get a whole bunch of ideas!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

shinnlinger

I have done that but it is inconclusive.  half the shots are actually peaveys and many are open so you can't tell.  Of the ones that are somewhat closed it does seem to end where the hook comes up or shortly thereafter.  I am wondering if I should add a cleat of some kind as opposed to simply a copper fitting.  I have longer peaveys and a really neat little cant dog thingy that was manufactured locally about 50 years ago.  Has Canaan NH  stamped right on it.  Might have to haul that into the shop and make a new handle for it.

I envision this unit being used on the mill when the little do dad thing isn't big enough.
Shinnlinger

cousin jw

I think I found a photo that might be of use to you for this project. Majicman posted a photo of several Logrite cant hooks in the closed position in response #43 in the thread 'What length can't hook to buy' that was started on 10-4-14. This post was the second post that came up when I typed in Logrite can't hook in the Forum search engine.

BCsaw

Shinnlinger, I just went and measured my old cant hook. The hook is approximately 12" from the end of the hook to the pivot point. The nose is 8" from the end to the pivot point.

The overall length is 50".

I hope this helps some.

Happy hooking! :D :D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

5quarter

Shinnlinger...Great job on the handles! If it were mine, I'd take it back to where the point meets the handle. Did you make the axe handle too? again, nice work.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

shinnlinger

Thanks guys, will look
Into those measurements.   

I made both handles out of some ash I milled a few years ago to show some students how to do it.    The axe head I found on the family homestead in Linconville me.  My 6Th. great grandad got the land for fighting in the Revolution, so it could be pretty old, but who knows?The cant hook bit I found in an old barn here in Canaan but had been using around the mill with a busted shovel handle wrapped with a ball of duct tape to keep it tight.    I like my new handle better...
Shinnlinger

Magicman

Old cant hooks and peaveys.

Logrite cant hooks.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Shinn, the geometry of a cant or peavey is critical for the best operation. I would copy the dimentions of one you like. I make peavey handles from louieville slugger bats I find. Yes I do own a Logrite canthook. I must try aluminum bats. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

loggah

Shinnlinger,I have a couple of those mill cant turners made by Jamieson in Canaan,a medium and a small one there nice little hooks. On your end you should have a steel thimble,closed end with a small lip on the inside edge! ;D If you need any more parts i probably got parts to 50 or or more hanging around.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

shinnlinger

Thanks again all!

Looks like I need to start turning some more handles to catch up with Magicman. 

My Canaan hook is also a Jameson but I think One of the Larrys first made them and then sold the biz to Jameson and then another Larry bought it back.  I would love to see yours as I might be able to remanufacture them with the vo-tech school.  We are already working on a pickaroon together.  They do the steel and we do the wood.

Loggah, you probably knew Ed Larry.  I used to enjoy talking with him.  Still see Charlie Neilly around and he is another fellah I always make time to talk with.  He has forgotten more common sense than I will ever know.
Shinnlinger

shinnlinger

Magic,

I see that your bottommost wooden cant hook and your top logrite cant hook have shorter snouts than the others.  Do you have a preference?

Dave
Shinnlinger

Magicman

They actually have longer hooks for handling larger logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

loggah

Your welcome to come over and check them out anytime. they are both in this picture.

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

shinnlinger

this has been an interesting process because for the first time I actually looked at the geometry of a cant hook.  I will turn down my new one to where the hook extends at half mast.   I am sure that makes no sense but it seems to be the spot consistent with the others.
Shinnlinger

StorminN

Happiness... is a sharp saw.

loggah

I have a number of axe handle patterns, and old axe handles made an old timer in town. Ralph Bump was my neighbor and was in his 80's when he died around 15 years ago. He had a small sawmill ,and mined mica over the years his family lived in town for several generations,they had a steam sawmill set up years ago,have a covered bridge and large interval named for them. Heres a few pictures of the patterns and handles,you got to pick them out from the rest of the junk. ;D The patterns are under the poster.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm trying to figure out how long of a drive it is to New Hampshire. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

loggah

I think it would be a long day !!!! ;D 12 hrs from here to Washington D.C. no idea S. Carolina. ;D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 23, 2014, 05:50:42 PM
I'm trying to figure out how long of a drive it is to New Hampshire. :)

Where to far away,You would not last that long without gRITS :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

shinnlinger

A guy I work with is a lurker on this forum and is excited about seeing your Lombard (as am I) so we will probably try to bug you for a visit soon.  He has a JD 350 and likes the old iron.

Stuck my handle back on a lathe today and parted off the snout some.  I haven't quite figured how to add the cleat but I might not need to at this juncture.  Hope to do some milling this weekend and will try it as is and modify as necessary.

Shinnlinger

Thank You Sponsors!