iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hot Water Corn Bread

Started by Alligator, November 19, 2014, 12:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alligator

Did anybody's grandma make "Hot Water Corn Bread"? The hot water cooks the corn meal in the middle some before it goes in the frying pan. Love it!

You should know if you are going to cook or freeze your batch of cornbread. I cooking start your grease on medium heat in a large frying pan about 3/4" deep.

If freezing have a cookie sheet covered with wax paper, so when frozen they will be easy to remove without breaking them. Freeze on cookie sheet for 2 hours.Remove from freezer and store in ziplock bag in freezer.

2 Cup Cornmeal
3/4 Tbl spoon Salt
2 Tbl spoon Sugar
1 Tbl spoon Garlic Powder
1 1/2 Tbl spoon Baking Powder
3/4 Tbl spoon Onion Powder

3 cups of water (read before mixing)

Mix dry ingredents thouroughly in mixing bowl. Bring 3 cups of water to a full boil and add to mix while still boiling stir in throughly. This mixture should have the consistency of thin cream potatos, it should not let a normal weight table spoon stand. If it does add a very small bit of water. If it is too thin (does not lump in a spoon) add a bit of corn meal.

Once the propper consiatency is reached, get a full drinking glass of cold water and a small spoon. Dip the spoon in the cold water and dip 3/4 of the spoon of cornbread. Place in grease or on cookie sheet, and repeat.

Add 1/2 cup of onions and 2 tea spoons of Ketsup makes great Hush Puppies
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

WDH

Many people here, for some reason, have an aversion to corn meal. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

And many of them live where Corn is a vital farm crop.  Indians were eating Corn long before ethanol was invented.  Heck, they invented Grits and Cornbread.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sawyer697

Made some yesterday, poured it into a bread pan, and after it was cool, put it in the frig. This morning I sliced it and fried it over low heat, added Maple Syrup, and a fried egg. That's breakfast.  8)
1997 LTHD40G24 WM Mill. 640 Bobcat. 555 ford Backhoe, Husky 365XP
40 Acres Foresty
Custom Sawing in Geauga and Lake County
Build my own solar kiln
Build Furniture, Out Buildings
Bee Keeper, Love My Lord

Magicman

It would be hard for me to imagine cornbread made without yellow cornmeal, buttermilk, and an egg.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BradMarks

Anybody else like chunky cornbread, as in - corn in the cornbread?

Raider Bill

Quote from: BradMarks on November 19, 2014, 05:53:11 PM
Anybody else like chunky cornbread, as in - corn in the cornbread?
I do and a little extra sugar sometimes to make it a desert treat.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

elk42

Anyone tried cracklin' cornbread 
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

BradMarks

Cracklin' cornbread?   Bacon rems fried and then added to the cornbread mix?  I dunno.

Alligator

Quote from: Sawyer697 on November 19, 2014, 09:20:25 AM
Made some yesterday, poured it into a bread pan, and after it was cool, put it in the frig. This morning I sliced it and fried it over low heat, added Maple Syrup, and a fried egg. That's breakfast.  8)

That ain't corn bread it's corn cake.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

luvmexfood

*Magicman* I agree exactly except for one thing. I love yellow corn meal but I like the buttermilk flavored meal and can't find it in yellow.

I never throw buttermilk away and the older it is the better it is to me. Use the buttermilk flavored cornmeal, buttermilk, little oil and an egg in my cornbread. My 17 year old daughter will eat it plain swearing it is the best cornbread she ever had. Nothing for her to finish her meal with a big slice of it and no desert.

She saw me looking at those castiron pans with the deviders for individual pieces one time but it was too small.

Come fathers day this year she had been helping clean out my exwifes mothers house. She found a bigger one and snagged it for me. Best present I ever got. Just the thought she new I wanted one and remembered it. She doesn't work so really doesn't have much spending money but when whe saw an opportunity to snag one for her dad she did.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!