iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone know how to sharpen an old timey bucking saw?

Started by Nate379, November 25, 2014, 05:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate379

Have a hand saw someone dropped off wanting sharpening, no one knows how to do it but for some reason it was promised to get it done (don't ask!)

It's around 3ft long, has a handle like a normal framing hand saw.  Have a pair of special pliers to set the kerf? that he included.

dgdrls

what does the tooth pattern look like?
Any of these?

I'm learning myself on an old Lance tooth. 

let us know

DGDrls

My dad showed me how years ago, could probably still sharpen one but I haven't done it in years.  I know that doesn't do you much good but there is a YouTube video (more of a slide show) that does a pretty good job of showing how sharpen a crosscut saw, good luck.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrYsFlx3OSY

Nate379

I'll take a picture, I pulled it out of the box it was mailed in today and I can't remember the tooth pattern  :D

I wouldn't be opposed to mailing it out to someone if they know what they are doing.  I do know the blade is rusty, not sure if that is bad?

beenthere

Nate
How many working in the shop you are in? 
You likely will find the bucking saw (sounds like a crosscut) fairly easy to sharpen if you have the jointer tools and right files to make it right.
A number of threads on FF have addressed the sharpening techniques, but getting the teeth jointed to the right height to start with is the key. Often an older crosscut has been "temporarily" or quickly hand filed so the cutters ended up lower than the rakers. No chance to fix then, without jointing first.

The Axe Women have a couple saw filers that they use, if you end up sending the saw out.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nate379

Russ who mans the store mostly (he can't walk too well anymore, in his 70s), Carl, Russ's son, me and I have a hired hand who shows up at no particular time even when he is supposed to.

I put pics up.  I don't know how to make them show on the page though!?

beenthere

Nate

Go to your post, and click on "Modify". 

Just click on the line below "Click here to add Photos to post" and a new window will pop up, then click on "My Gallery" to get to your pics. Click on the one you want in your post and SCROLL down the page to where it tells you a couple easy ways to get your pic in your post. Click "Preview" before "Post" to see how your pic fits. Should be good to go. If not right, then fix it before posting. ;)  (I know, easy for me to say).

That saw in the pic is like the Champion Tooth shown in dgdrls post and shown in the video.
And the cutters (pointy ones) are some bit shorter than the rakers. Almost to the point that about a half-inch will need to be removed to get a jointed profile to begin filing.
The video shows the steps needed to sharpen this saw.  Another picture with a dark single color background would emphasize the shape and condition of the teeth. Hard to sort the teeth out in the pics you posted.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

36 coupe

That saw is in rough shape.Looks like the cutting teeth are shorter than the rakers.Not a do it yer self job.You need a saw doctor to fix that saw.

Nate379

Yeah, that's why I made this thread.  I haven't heard from any saw doctors though.  ???

beenthere

QuoteI haven't heard from any saw doctors though

How do you know that? ;)

If we add "Dr" or "Doc" to our name, will that qualify?  ;D

From what has been presented along with the video's, you should be able to figure out what needs to be done quite easily.
south central Wisconsin

mad murdock

That saw definitely needs re jointed and re profiled, then it needs rakers reset and tipped and cutters set as well, basically the full meal deal.  Would take probably 3-4 hours at least to sharpen and add an hour or 2 to bring the overall blade condition to working order(rust removal). Maybe I am a bit high on the hours it would take but somewhere between 4-6 hours of labor would not be out of the question. It is a tuttle tooth pattern.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Nate379

Let me find out if the customer is willing to spend $300-400 on it and I'll let you know.  It's still in a nice box so easy to mail.

mad murdock

I was just offering my opinion on amount of work required to fix the saw to serviceable condition. Sorry if I implied otherwise.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

5quarter

Ole Doc Beenthere is right.  ;) With some patience, a little practice and the right tools, you should be able to get it sawing again. Member Dodgy loner has a thread on his saw restoration adventures and perhaps might give you some pointers. nice saw, btw.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

longtime lurker

One look at that tells me that .. yeah you could bring it back but honestly, its going to be at about the practical limit you can take off before junking them after you do. Nothing lasts forever although what I'm seeing there tells me that the guy has looked after it pretty well till he tried to saw through that lump of metal embedded in the tree.

You can get a new Tuatahi work saw around that size brand new for under $400 NZ... call it $400 US by the time you freight it. Nice shiny M tooth that will see him out if he cares for it properly. I haven't actually used one of their work saws myself, but I own a couple of their racing saws and well... lets just say that you dont drop a couple of grand on a crosscut because they're bad.
Though if he wants to keep sawing through nails he might do better to go to Home Depot/
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Nate379

From what I understand it's a saw that was used by his Dad or Granddad back in the olden days and he isn't going to be using it per say, but wants it to be in usable condition.

longtime lurker

There's more then one way to get use out of a heirloom saw:

http://susanhend.com/gallery/other-surfaces/

Actually I think if he's doing it to restore grandadas antique then... bringing it back isn't about it being in working condition is it. But price might not matter so much either. Touch up the teeth and rechrome it - look good hanging over the bar in either case.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

rjdankert

Quote from: Nate379 on November 26, 2014, 12:04:00 AM

Russ who mans the store mostly (he can't walk too well anymore, in his 70s), Carl, Russ's son, me and I have a hired hand who shows up at no particular time even when he is supposed to.

I put pics up.  I don't know how to make them show on the page though!?

Hi, I am not a doctor and have limited experience with crosscut saw filing.  I have watched the utube video posted several times.  I think it is excellent for understanding the concepts involved.  Others here have talked about jointing your saw.  I don't know the brand or model of your saw.  You said it was three feet.  Here is a picture of a couple of Disstons that one could get in that length:

This shows the belly/arc for a saw like that.  As others have mentioned it looks like a lot of jointing work on that saw.  A couple of other things I'll mention.  The gullets will need to be filed to maintain the proper cutter and raker lengths.  Also it is important to have good files.  I got a triangular file at a big box store and it was shot before I finished two cutters. :o

If you want to send it out you might try out these folks:
http://www.salmoncreekcrosscutsaws.com/

Nate379

Thanks for the info.

I'd love to learn how to do it but I'm afraid with the shape of this saw that I'll make a mess of things and pretty much ruin it.  I sent those guys a message.

beenthere

Quote from: Nate379 on December 01, 2014, 01:13:24 PM
Thanks for the info.

I'd love to learn how to do it but I'm afraid with the shape of this saw that I'll make a mess of things and pretty much ruin it.  I sent those guys a message.

Nate
I don't think there is any possible way to ruin this saw. ;)
Better pics would help, with a solid or plain background that one can discern the teeth lengths and shape, but appears the teeth have been mis-filed very short  back near the handle. That or rusted badly.
south central Wisconsin

Nate379

Can blame the crap photos on the iphone.  Horrible camera on it.

beenthere

Quotewith a solid or plain background that one can discern the teeth lengths and shape

Try something like this.. and a steady hand. ;)
south central Wisconsin

Nate379

I still haven't heard back from this guy's the link was too?

Thank You Sponsors!