iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

raw log prices

Started by Kasba, November 27, 2014, 10:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kasba

I was wondering if anyone would know where I would find some info on what logs are worth. I recently had someone ask me if I wanted to buy 5 Douglas fir logs. I went and had a look at them and unfortunately they averaged 8' and 14 to 30" in diameter.  I would not call them great saw logs as they were not free of knots. I was thinking of offering $30.00 each as a rough figure to work with but I do not want to offend him or pay to much as I am a portable mill service and do not have any experience buying raw logs.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

york

Hi there,a picture of the logs would help,but sounds like too much money and are you doing them a favor by moving them??
Albert

Magicman

Just because someone offers to sell is no reason to buy.  Many times they are yard trees and they are trying to get paid for getting them moved.

The  only logs that I pick up are the free ones, and hopefully the guy has a FEL to help load them.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

I'd suggest you not worry about "offending" someone selling, and offer just what these logs might be worth to you, after you haul them, saw them, stick the lumber, dry it, and then wonder what you might do with the wood.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pine

Quote from: beenthere on November 27, 2014, 11:38:11 AM
I'd suggest you not worry about "offending" someone selling, and offer just what these logs might be worth to you, after you haul them, saw them, stick the lumber, dry it, and then wonder what you might do with the wood.

I would agree with that statement in its entirety.

Over on this side of the border the pricing has been changing a lot.  Overall it has gone up in 2014 but did drop near the end of the summer.  I quote from a WA DNR newsletter:  The price for a "typical" DNR log delivered to the mill has climbed in 2014 but has pulled back to $558/mbf as of July.
That is for a full length typical; they also state random length and stud composite lumber price logs have averaged $379/mbf thus far in 2014.
These were for delivered to mill not in someone's yard.

You are looking at 8 ft logs average with potentially no trim, thus maybe not even 8 ft when it is done. I would go back to beenthere statement above.  Pay only what they are worth to you for what you can do with them but at 8 ft not a lot IMO.

redbeard

Short logs limit your uses for the lumber. 30.00 for the 30" is a good deal. Scale the logs by the heart wood dia. and see what that yields.  If there slow growers with minimal sap wood and look like a dart board on the end, jump on the deal.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on November 27, 2014, 11:19:35 AM
Just because someone offers to sell is no reason to buy.  Many times they are yard trees and they are trying to get paid for getting them moved.

The only logs that I pick up are the free ones, and hopefully the guy has a FEL to help load them.   ;D
smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
More than once, conversations on this subject eventually get around to the log owner telling me "I called a bunch of "real" loggers and they won't come get these, so I figured I'd give you the chance to buy them" ;D ;D 

I only fetch logs if they are free, because retrieving them means expending effort, moving equipment, and burning time.  In reality, even free logs cost money. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

highleadtimber16

Fir standard is about $115/m3 last time I checked. I wouldn't pay more than firewood price for those, which is $10/m3.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Dave Shepard

What do you need to move logs in BC? I've heard that moving any log without a proper stamp is a bad idea.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ST Ranch

In BC you need a timber mark [designates area of origin and stumpage bearing or not] or a letter of exemption for same - both issied by Forest Service. Also need a load description slip to show area of origin and destination, contractor and log hauler info.
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Peter Drouin

Quote from: ST Ranch on November 28, 2014, 09:46:41 PM
In BC you need a timber mark [designates area of origin and stumpage bearing or not] or a letter of exemption for same - both issied by Forest Service. Also need a load description slip to show area of origin and destination, contractor and log hauler info.
Tom

All that, :o Wow, Here I just make a call or go myself. I made a call for some 26' W Pine. I'll go get them, Have to make some 8"x10" [ 4 of them. ] W Pine is .15 to .32 a BF. Hemlock .22 to .25 the good stuff :D :D All hard wood starts at .35 A BF and up. Firewood is 125.oo  cord in tree length.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Kasba

Thanks to everyone for their input on buying the logs and after reading the posts realized they are not worth buying. I did not realize there were regulations to moving logs in British Columbia, thought I could just load the logs on a trailer and haul them home.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

5quarter

Peter...Things work a little differently in the Peoples Republic of Canada.  ;) ;D of course not quite as tough as NYS(SR).  ;)

Kasba...I'd pass on them too. but you may want to check into exemptions for private citizens. I can't imagine that picking up wood from a neighbors lot requires you to have "papers".
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

highleadtimber16

I've never had trouble with forestry, while moving logs. ST Ranch is correct. But I don't think they get to concerned over pickup trucks and trailers hauling logs. All the trucks around here just spray SB4 on the logs. It seems good enough  :D
EG 200 Wood-Mizer

Nate379

A cord of firewood sells for ~$50?

Quote from: highleadtimber16 on November 28, 2014, 10:17:58 AM
Fir standard is about $115/m3 last time I checked. I wouldn't pay more than firewood price for those, which is $10/m3.

highleadtimber16

Quote from: Nate379 on November 29, 2014, 05:07:34 AM

Split and cut, I sell it for $225
EG 200 Wood-Mizer

FarmingSawyer

Anymore I'm starting to charge something for removing unwanted logs whole. It always works out less than the estimate the tree service guys give for cutting in to firewood or chipping and at least it pays for my fuel and some of my time for rigging logs out of tricky spots. I've been surprised when people who argue about the value of their golden logs suddenly come to and get a check book out as I walk away leaving their wood in the driveway where it fell.......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Nate379

Am I doing the math wrong?  A metric cube is pretty much 27 cu/ft, or ~1/5 cord??

Quote from: highleadtimber16 on November 29, 2014, 11:20:39 AM
Quote from: Nate379 on November 29, 2014, 05:07:34 AM

Split and cut, I sell it for $225

Dave Shepard

My math comes out closer to 35 cubic feet.

edit: 35.314, actually.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!