iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lt40 super idle side blade wheel bearing

Started by Waterford Woodworks, December 04, 2014, 08:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterford Woodworks

I'm getting ready to replace the idle side bearing because there is a little play in it. My old mill didn't have any movement in the blade wheel and this one has just a little but enough to make me want to replace it before something gives. Has anyone had to replace it before? Does the bearing get pressed in? Is there anything I should look for when I have it apart?
2006 Lt40 Super Cat 51, Allis Chalmers 185
"Keep doing what your doing and you'll keep getting what your getting, life is what you make of it."

drobertson

It is pretty straight forward, one snap ring, two bearings that are a light press fit. if it's wobbly, you might as well change it out.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

It is not a difficult change out.  Mine did not have slack, but it had developed a slight rumble.  I asked the WM traveling technician about it and he gave me the replacement sequence.  Of course, I have forgotten but a talk with WM when you order the replacement bearing would be all that you need.  I did use a press to replace the bearing in the wheel, not because it was tight, but I wanted the squareness of the press.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Don't jump to conclusions, there is supposed to be some movement in the idle-side wheel when there is no tension on it.

Put a blade on and get it tensioned up, then see if you still have movement!

There shouldn't be any detectable movement at this point!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

I'm a dummy! :D  I was thinking about the blade guide roller,  never had to change my 19" wheel bearing as of yet,  I think chuck said it, with the band off, the assembly will wobble some, but not with tension on the band.
sorry for the misunderstanding,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I replaced mine because of a slight rumble sound that was developing.  Without going to the mill, I can not answer about any play that might be there. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

If in doubt, change em both. If one goes bad and the other one doesn't, your mill will do strange things. Don't ask how I know.  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

drobertson

there is wobble without the band blade on, but is comes from the tensioner housing rods,  once the slack is out of this minimal movement, the bearing can then be checked for wobble. 

barbender

I had to replace mine. The symptoms- I noticed the play increasing, the band tracking started acting strange, and then blades started breaking. They were easy to replace. I thi k the newer mills have a larger set of bearings, these ones look a little small for the task. My .02 ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Waterford Woodworks

I got the bearing replaced today. I definitely had play in the bearing and not just the tensioning rods. The replacement wasn't to bad. Patience and persistence and the blade wheel come off without damaging anything. The worst part about it is that big snap ring on the back of the blade wheel. Who has snap ring pliers that big? Everything is back together and the mill is sawing more consistent than it has before(since I bought it 3-4 weeks ago). I am a firm believer in maintaining equipment and Woodmizer couldn't have laid it out much easier then they have. The previous owner was not up to my standards of taking care of things but the price was right so I can't complain. Thanks for the advice. I always appreciate hearing from the group. There is so much experience here and it doesn't take long for someone to chime in with their knowledge.
2006 Lt40 Super Cat 51, Allis Chalmers 185
"Keep doing what your doing and you'll keep getting what your getting, life is what you make of it."

Magicman

Congrats on the successful bearing replacement and also thanks for the follow-up reply.   ;D

barbender

Yep, glad you got it fixed and thanks for the follow up- Magic is still waiting for the follow up to the last problem I had with my WM, because I haven't gotten a chance to fix it yet ::)
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

He has probably forgotten anyway.  ;D

We all help each other because another thread reminded me to pick up a replacement battery terminal this evening.  I have to get everything ship shape tomorrow because I have a fairly large SYP framing lumber job beginning Saturday AM.  Then another scheduled to start Wednesday AM.  It seems like too many folks are wanting it done before the end of the year.  It just happens.

Thank You Sponsors!