The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: cleanup  (Read 5202 times)

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: cleanup
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 08:19:34 PM »
A chipper would be pretty handy, always planned on having one, but not yet, so this is the clean up on unsellable slabs,

final check just a few minutes ago, all is good, thankful for no wind and wet conditions
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Online Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 08:46:43 PM »
Nice, but your missing the snow this time of year. :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 09:16:47 PM »
this time of year we are sellin $400/ week in slabs :)
the experts think i do things wrong
 over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Offline jmouton

• never enough time
    • Share Post
    • Log-Gistics
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 10:31:23 PM »
      hey slider ,  that looks like one of my regular  bonfires i have for  my parties i throw togather,,,nice one
lt-40 wide ,fiat tractor,bobcat,international flatbed,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2015 f-350,and a oldwheel loader ,grapple system coming soon!!

Offline stoverguy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 10:43:13 AM »
The slab subject seems to come up from time to time. I'm pretty small and only cut when I get my hands on free logs, but piling up the slabs and burning them was always "extra work." I noticed several of the people on this site used the "free pile" approach so I thought why not I'll give it a try. I've probably set out 20+ forklift loads of slabs now. Species varies highly as I cut whatever I can get my hands on, but the longest a load has ever sat out was a day and a half. I couldn't believe it, one day I set a load out, went back to load another and the first one was already gone. People are hurting out there. This last weekend I set out a load of slabs and edging trim. An old gentleman with a van and a wheelchair lift stopped to pick up the load. Mostly cottonwood. I felt bad that I didn't have anything better to offer but he still came up to me to thank me. I know we end up with so much it seems worthless to us but if it isn't too much of an extra effort it is still worth something to someone. The most popular I set out is the Cedar because its already close to kindling. One fellow that stopped to pick up a pile of it was thrilled. He built birdhouses as a way to supplement his retirement. Bark on Cedar with one cut side was a godsend to him. Couldn't thank me enough.

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 11:29:32 AM »

How do you sell it, by the bundle? Do you load, or let them load? Is it sorted by softwood/hardwood, or just a mix? Where I used to work I would bundle right in the slab rack. 4'x4'x whatever length. If sawing 16' lumber, that's two cords. Sometimes the LULL would hardly lift it. We delivered some bundles with the F550, but never had much interest. I could just picture someone coming in in nice shiny pickup wanting a 4,000 pound bundle dropped in the bed. :o :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Online Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2014, 12:40:54 PM »

How do you sell it, by the bundle? Do you load, or let them load? Is it sorted by softwood/hardwood, or just a mix? Where I used to work I would bundle right in the slab rack. 4'x4'x whatever length. If sawing 16' lumber, that's two cords. Sometimes the LULL would hardly lift it. We delivered some bundles with the F550, but never had much interest. I could just picture someone coming in in nice shiny pickup wanting a 4,000 pound bundle dropped in the bed. :o :D

I keep about 20 bundles, But they don't move fast. That's why I chip.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2014, 12:55:37 PM »
Slabs and sawdust are without a doubt going to pile up if not sold, chipped or burnt.  I've found a pretty good average of a slab bundle to be in the neighborhood of 15 logs or so, this includes the edgings as well.  As of my last sale the pine was selling for 15 bucks a ton, and the oak at 16 bucks a ton.  not a bad net for scrap, I have at least another semi load ready to go to the charcoal kiln, these were just stragglers that were a pain, plus is fuels for the rest of the debris that adds up through sawing.  I still believe a chipper is the way to go, always have, one day I will hopefully have one.  Keep in mind that many of the finer slabs from straight logs will be separated for a local wood worker,  and most of these are from pine, the bark slips nicely and the end product is pretty slick, it just requires a uniform end to end thickness, with some knots acceptable. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Online Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 07:56:42 PM »
Slabs and sawdust are without a doubt going to pile up if not sold, chipped or burnt.  I've found a pretty good average of a slab bundle to be in the neighborhood of 15 logs or so, this includes the edgings as well.  As of my last sale the pine was selling for 15 bucks a ton, and the oak at 16 bucks a ton.  not a bad net for scrap, I have at least another semi load ready to go to the charcoal kiln, these were just stragglers that were a pain, plus is fuels for the rest of the debris that adds up through sawing.  I still believe a chipper is the way to go, always have, one day I will hopefully have one.  Keep in mind that many of the finer slabs from straight logs will be separated for a local wood worker,  and most of these are from pine, the bark slips nicely and the end product is pretty slick, it just requires a uniform end to end thickness, with some knots acceptable. 

It's good to have different markets like that. What is a [charcoal kiln]?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2014, 07:42:17 AM »
Peter, there is a company named Royal Oak which manufactures the charcoal briquettes we use in our grills. They have  acres and acres of slabs that when dried to a certain point, are put into a fire chamber and charred down to lumps then shipped to the processing plant that makes the final briquette.

Offline Swatson

• Full Member x2
  • Arkansas born and raised
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2014, 08:22:48 AM »
Peter, there is a company named Royal Oak which manufactures the charcoal briquettes we use in our grills. They have  acres and acres of slabs that when dried to a certain point, are put into a fire chamber and charred down to lumps then shipped to the processing plant that makes the final briquette.

You aint kidding Drobertson.  I live about 15 miles away from that plant near Huntsville, AR.  Ive never seen so many slabs in my life.  A couple miles down the road they have started another field of slabs.  It would be interesting to know how many bundles they can process in a week.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
storm cleanup

Started by limbwood on Urban and Community Forestry

10 Replies
Last post August 05, 2014, 10:19:44 AM
by clww
xx
Tree top cleanup

Started by dan-l-b on Ask The Forester

8 Replies
Last post January 06, 2004, 08:48:54 PM
by rebocardo