iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bourbon Balls need a receipe

Started by HOGFARMER, December 10, 2014, 08:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGFARMER

I need to know how to make them for the holidays.  I would appreciate it if someone would post a recipe for them.  Thank You!!
Manual LT-30

HOGFARMER

I have eaten these and want to make some for company at Christmas.  Really need to know how to make them.  Thanks!!!
Manual LT-30

LeeB

Google is your friend. Type in recipe for bourbon balls. Several show up.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

Was going to make the same suggestion... there are many recipes.
Here is but one..
http://www.southernliving.com/food/how-to/bourbon-balls-recipe
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BradMarks

Not sure about the proportions of that recipe posted by Beenthere, but that recipe is missing one important ingredient - ground (as in meat grinder or other) up RAISINS.  Personally never had one w/o that included.  Also, bourbon balls are good out of the gate, but really good if aged for awhile. We usually make them on Thanksgiving weekend, for Christmas.

BradMarks

OK, here it is 8)  MaMa's (my wife's grandmother) recipe. Be mindful that MaMa never measured anything, so this is an interpertation of a watchful eye.  Bourbon Balls:
2 cups raisin
2 cups pecans
1 lb. crushed vanilla wafers
1/2 lb. powdered sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
6 ounces bourbon
1 cup Karo(white)syrup
Put raisins, pecans, and wafers through a grinder. Then mix all ingredients together well. Make into balls in your palm and roll ball in more powdered sugar to coat.    The 21st century method - which we used for the first time this year, calls for a food processor (much easier than grinding).  Do wafers, pecans, and raisins separately, and when doing the raisins mix with bourbon (for ease).  Then combine ingredients as before and roll.  Mighty tasty :) :)  We quadrupled the recipe this year - makes for good gifts :christmas:

beenthere

Thanks for that recipe.
Will be making some BB's with and without the raisins.. found some Jim Beam bourbon under the counter (my Dad's favorite, and I can't stand to drink it straight) and had no problem getting dear wife to step up to the idea.

The rest of the ingredients appear to be much the same.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

Sounds really good. I can't say 6 oz. of bourbon would be enough though. maybe enough for the balls, but I'm pretty fond of the stuff myself so would have to have a few swallows for the cook.  ;D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Seaman

1st ANNUAL BOURBON BALL !

1- Tell your friends you are hosting a DANCE
  2- Have them wear Ball gowns and Tux's
  3- Have each friend bring BOURBON
  4- Lockup all car keys in wife's car
  5- Have a BALL !

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Frank
PS ... invite FF Members !!!! 
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

luvmexfood

When I first saw this post I was thinking it refered to courage one gets from drinking a few shots of bourban.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: luvmexfood on December 14, 2014, 12:34:00 PM
When I first saw this post I was thinking it refered to courage one gets from drinking a few shots of bourban.

Me2, but I knew not to run with it.  smiley_ignore
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!