The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Deer Report  (Read 14039 times)

Offline ohiowoodchuck

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Deer Report
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 06:33:38 PM »
Saw very few this year on my place, in ohio. You cant keep shooting all the does and expect to see a good herd. Only thing dnr wants is the money in ohio oh well it will catch up to them sooner or later when there's nothing to hunt.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Offline VT_Forestry

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 08:50:11 AM »
I haven't hunted any, yet, but plan on the last week of the month for late archery season.
Last year, I got two with my truck. ;D

Ron White always said that the best way to hunt is slow that bullet down to 55mph and put some headlights on it  :D

It'll still be muzzleloader season in Highland County for deer until Jan. 3rd and gun season for bear until then too...I'll be just over the hill in Rockbridge County at mom and dads hopefully getting to hunt some myself. 
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 07:55:22 PM »
Weekend,

Here in southern WV seem to be a decent deer crop. I have never seen as many big acorns as I have on my place this year. I'm a basic meat hunter. Hard to attract deer to feeders this year with so many acorns available. Lots of grapes and raisins still hanging on vines in places. Did not kill any big ones but got a couple with a bow and one big doe during antlerless rifle season. We have 3 more antlerless days end of the month and 2 more youth hunt days right after Christmas. May take my 8 year old granddaughter then if she wants to go. (8 years and up to 15 I think can hunt with adult hunter and harvest one antlerless deer per day not counted against any tag on those hunts - one day in October and 2 in December.) May try to take one more end of the month and make some more jerky. Have a couple of yearlings I see most every trip but won't shoot them. Watched them raise in the pasture from 2-3 days old till now. Just don't have the heart to shoot them.

I have a one inch poplar limb here in the living room with an arrow in it. An inch higher or lower would have been in a 6 points lungs but I centered the only limb between us instead.

Saw my first bear on our place this year in October while bow hunting. Wife has seen them several times including in the front yard. They don't bother me and I won't shoot them or allow others to shoot them on my place.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 08:11:11 PM »
Yearlings would be last years fawns, right?  meaning a year and half old.  They make good eating and have some size to them. I took a buck fawn this year... sure seemed like big enough for a yearling. :o

If the 8yr old hunts, can you also carry a gun and hunt too? Or like here, have to be within arms reach and cannot also hunt (except with a bow license).
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 09:31:35 PM »
Beenthere,

What I am calling yearlings here were born in May/June this year. The bucks just have buttons showing under the skin. They are legal to hunt during antlerless season. Best way to recognize them from a distance here is they are more reddish in color than the adults. For some reason our deer here are very red in summer months. They may be like that everywhere but I have seen more here than anywhere else I have lived. We raised a little doe 8-9 years ago whose mother got killed by a car. Had goats so milked them and fed to her. She was free to come and go. Put an orange collar on her so could tell she was tame. Shot a yearling first day of antlerless season that year and Spot jumped up 30' away. She had been playing with them. I felt awful but gave her a fortune cookie and apple and she forgave me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2014, 09:36:47 PM »
Beenthere,

Forgot to answer second part. On youth hunt adult cannot carry a gun or bow and must be within reach of the youth at all times. Pretty reasonable - adult needs to be totally focused on safety and helping the youth have a good hunt.

I got all 3 of my granddaughters lifetime hunting, fishing and trapping licenses for their first birthdays. First one was about $250 for infant license (under 2 years old) and last one was something like $402.50. Still a good deal to ensure they can hunt or fish with me all their lives. Before use the hunting license have to show they have completed hunter safety course.
Howard Green

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 11:21:20 PM »
Not going to debate your "yearling" classification, but don't think it is the norm.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 07:32:55 AM »
A quick Google Search of yearling deer will turn up a definition. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 08:02:23 AM »
1.5 year olds are "yearlings".  Spring fawns are still "fawns" at deer season  :)  They're not a year old until next spring  :)  That's how we classified them when I worked MiDNR Deer Check Stations.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 09:05:31 AM »
In this area, early Spring in 2013 there was a lot of criss-cross small plane traffic.

A few people reported that the had seen stuff dropping from the planes and when this was made public, it was then reported that the DEC was dropping rabies vacine, well rabies isn't very prevelant in early Spring.

The Summer and Fall of 2013, there were very few fawns sighted, so it was summized that what was dropping from the planes the previous Spring was something that the deer will eat and when a doe eats it, it causes her to abort the fetus!

True or not is anyones guess, but that's what most of us here think!

If it's true, it was probably done to prevent some of the car/deer collisions.
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2014, 11:27:23 AM »
 :D :D
I think I'd put that story in the "tall tales" section. ;)
But then, maybe your DNR or DEC has that kind of money to toss out of a plane.  Would be interesting to hear what they could toss out that the deer would eat.
A good assignment for some investigative reporting as it would be big news.
Sorry to be a doubter.  ;)
south central Wisconsin

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

thumbup
A Very interesting report

Started by Neil_B on Sawmills and Milling

1 Replies
Last post June 14, 2004, 11:58:45 AM
by slowzuki
xx
Stihl MSA 120 C... first report

Started by upnut on Chainsaws

16 Replies
Last post September 14, 2017, 12:07:58 PM
by upnut