iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

freeze

Started by coxy, December 16, 2014, 05:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

how many times can you freeze and unthaw  fresh meat    the reason I ask is I have a lot of roast that I want to grind up in burger and make stew meat but I have to unthaw to grind and cut then freeze again  its beef that I raised not the store   any help would be great    coxy

red oaks lumber

i won't refreeze meat. :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

petefrom bearswamp

I have thawed and refrozen meat but only high speed beef (read venison) many times but just once per package as this degrades the quality,  with no adverse health/spoilage effect.
I just loses some moisture but not much if unwrapped.
It is a myth that this spoils it.
Beef that you buy in the larger markets has been shipped frozen for years then  thawed and cut and packaged
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Mooseherder

Beef isn't shipped frozen.  That would take all the shelf life out of it when it would thaw.  If you thaw your Meat under refrigeration, process it right away and you shouldn't have any problem re-freezing.  Especially for what you are doing taking whole muscle meat for grinding.  It'll be okay.   I wouldn't make a habit of it though.  I would be more worried about the proper packaging to avoid freezer burn. 

LeeB

Keep it 40° or below and you should have no problems.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

Agreed, just keep it cold!

Pork or poultry would be a different issue!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!