The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: 3-53 or 4-53 detroit transplant ?  (Read 19602 times)

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: 3-53 or 4-53 detroit transplant ?
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 09:06:13 AM »
FWIW, my Pettibone 501 has a 3-53 Detroit, not a thing wrong with it. It barely even leaks oil ;D However, if I was running it daily I'd be finding a 4bt to stuff under the hood. Two things drive me nuts with Detroits- the noise, and even more so, the lack of low end torque. Especially with a standard transmission. Other than that, Detroits are good. Mine's easy on fuel, and they are very durable engines. However, I've probably had more paychecks dependant on B series cummins engines than anything else, and I've never had one let me down.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline ga jones

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 12:12:36 PM »
353 is the cheapest easiest swap. It's a great reliable fuel sipping engine. The torque is not an issue in a c4. Any more and you wil tear stuff up.loud yes. If it really bothers you and u have some extra money to spend put a turbo on it.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Offline RunningRoot

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 05:15:06 PM »
I think I'm leaning towards a 4bt now.....

The dorset in my girl is running for now so it may buy me some time to find a good running complete cummins or a good core to rebuild.

The old girl would be a pretty sweet little skidder with a cummins in her.
As someone else stated, I would think it would increase her resale value as well.

Turbo 4bt aught to do good on fuel and produce good power, even gains over my current dorset. Quite too...

Iv looked at hundreds of 4bt's over the last couple days and the only guaranteed runner at the lowest price was 2,900 complete.

I'm gonna walk my buddy's scrap yard this weekend and see if I can't get lucky and find one there.
That would be great as I could get it for like $100 dollars and whatever else I needed for free pretty much. He only makes me pay his cost (7-10 cents/pound ) on big stuff like motors,cars and such. He has a bunch of equipment, busses,and bread trucks in back. It's just a Matter if any of them still has their engines.

A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

Offline loggah

• Senior Member x2
  • Just hangin' around :)
    • Share Post
    • Johnson Hollow Sawing and Shingle Making
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 06:40:01 PM »
UPS trucks have a cummins,standard transmission,setup find one of those and your golden !! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Offline ga jones

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 08:11:28 PM »

here's a few in elmsford NY
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Offline Puffergas

• Share Post
    • Puffergas
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2014, 01:19:52 AM »
I did a couple 353 transplants in an IHC pickum-up truck.
Started out with an aluminum gama goat engine that had a lot of problems. Thats the red engine in the below photos.

So that one had problems right from the get go. No more used engines for me so I locked my self in an insulated garden shed with a ton of parts one winter and built me a turbo version with all the trimmings. For noise I went with the silent gears, turbo, cast valve cover and a truck muffler. Plus I got to configure it the way I wanted like which way you put the head on so you pick which side the exhaust is on etc. etc...  ;D

Sure sounded just right.... 8)

You'll notice that it's reconfigured later. No end to the changes and improvements... :o

Marry Christmas    :new_year:
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Offline KyLogger

• Loggin' for a livin'
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2014, 04:07:58 AM »
Love the ol' Cornbinder!!!!! I want it.......................
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

Offline deastman

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2014, 09:42:31 AM »
Bought a Clark 667 grapple skidder once with a 4-53 turbo. On the 7th twitch the crank broke and that was it for the engine.  Found a used 6BT Cummins out of a 380 Timberjack and retrofit it in the Clark.  Took a couple weeks to find all the parts and make the swap, had to fabricate new motor mounts and a few other things. It was well worth all the work when it was finished,  the Cummins has a different torque curve and it was like a whole new machine. Instead of having to floor the pedal with the 4-53 to get it moving the Cummins would start pulling just off of idle. I would recommend swapping in a 4BT,  you won't believe the differnce it'll make to your skidder.
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Offline tantoy

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2014, 03:50:39 PM »
I did a couple 353 transplants in an IHC pickum-up truck.
Started out with an aluminum gama goat engine that had a lot of problems. Thats the red engine in the below photos.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

So that one had problems right from the get go. No more used engines for me so I locked my self in an insulated garden shed with a ton of parts one winter and built me a turbo version with all the trimmings. For noise I went with the silent gears, turbo, cast valve cover and a truck muffler. Plus I got to configure it the way I wanted like which way you put the head on so you pick which side the exhaust is on etc. etc...  ;D

Sure sounded just right.... 8)

You'll notice that it's reconfigured later. No end to the changes and improvements... :o

Marry Christmas    :new_year:
WOW WOW WOW, That is cool. What vintage were pictures 80's?
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

Offline ga jones

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2014, 05:35:34 PM »
That's a man after my own heart! Silver 353 turbo clone!

Offline Puffergas

• Share Post
    • Puffergas
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2014, 08:33:37 PM »
The old cornbinder has done an amazing amount of work. It's first 10 years was plowing snow for a school and then I got it. But it's been put to rest. The pictures were before digital cameras so I'll say mid to late 80's but the truck was on the road in year 2002 or there abouts.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
oak transplant

Started by northernss454 on Urban and Community Forestry

13 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 11:26:41 PM
by steveforest
xx
When can i transplant a camilia

Started by limbrat on Ask The Forester

0 Replies
Last post December 17, 2011, 10:48:40 PM
by limbrat