The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

KNOW WHAT?
Between February 12, 2018 and June 18, 2018, this space displayed 13 Million, 871 Thousand and 87 times.

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: BMS250 Sharpener 220 to 110?  (Read 229 times)

Darrel and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline 123maxbars

• Share Post
    • www.outofthewoodsforestry.com
BMS250 Sharpener 220 to 110?
« on: Today at 11:20:59 AM »
Recently got a new Wood-Mizer BMS250 sharpener. I got the one that is pre wired for 220v but plans have change and it looks like I am going to be utilizing my garage to sharpen blades. I currently only have 110 in my garage and running a new 220 circuit at the moment just isn't feasible due to other issues.

The manual doesn't state anywhere if this is possible. I plan on talking with wood-mizer Monday about this but wanted to see if anyone on here had converted their sharpener to 110?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Sawyer/woodworker/logger
Wood-Mizer LT35HD, Wood-Mizer KD150 Dehumidification Kiln Bobcat Skidsteer,  Stihl Chainsaws,  MS880 chainsaw mill,
outofthewoods
Link to my youtube page
Out of the Woods - YouTube

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
Re: BMS250 Sharpener 220 to 110?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 11:40:59 AM »
Recently got a new Wood-Mizer BMS250 sharpener. I got the one that is pre wired for 220v but plans have change and it looks like I am going to be utilizing my garage to sharpen blades. I currently only have 110 in my garage and running a new 220 circuit at the moment just isn't feasible due to other issues.

The manual doesn't state anywhere if this is possible. I plan on talking with wood-mizer Monday about this but wanted to see if anyone on here had converted their sharpener to 110?

Thanks for any suggestions.
My BMS250 came wired 110....Sparks or Marty will know this stuff for sure but Im here to give you hope..  ;D I have converted many electric motors from 220 to 110 and versa visa(thats visa versa, visa versa :D) by rewiring the connections in the motors terminal compartment(they usually have a diagram in the box with voltage and directional wiring schemes). The electronics may or may not have their own transformer for powersupply and this its the stuff I know nothing about. Im rooting for you ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:48:31 PM »
I have zero experience with the sharpener but the schematic should be inside of the motor cover plate. 

Normally for 220, the hot leads are 1 & 4 with 2 & 3 strapped together.  For 110, the hot leads are 1 & 3 for one side and 2 & 4 for the other side. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:44:32 PM »
Perhaps in the manual? I'm sure it will discuss using only 220, but maybe there will be talk of converting it there. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT   2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker, hydraulics everywhere), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.

Offline tawilson

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:33:24 PM »
Perhaps in the manual? I'm sure it will discuss using only 220, but maybe there will be talk of converting it there.
He checked and I looked through mine. All I found is you have to order the voltage you want. It's got 2 motors and a controller so there will be some finanglin to.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter

Offline Lawg Dawg

• True South Sawmill Lumber
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:09:05 PM »
Just pull you a 220 wire right quick, probably runs better on 220. BTW , did you get the setter to go with it?

Probably $50 materials and a couple hours, I'll ride up and help you get er done!  ;D
LT 40 Wide 999cc
John Deere 4000, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong.

True South Sawmill Lumber,  located  approximately 45 miles south of Charlotte, NC

Online gmmills

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:54:33 PM »
  Unfortunately you have a dedicated 220 volt machine. No wire swapping is going to enable you to convert it.  It may be able to be done, but not without changing some expensive components.  The grinder motor itself is 220 volt. It would need to be swapped out for the 110 volt model. Although the motors themselves look nearly identical they are voltage specific. Have separate part numbers.  The transformer in the control box will also need to be changed to a 110 volt model.  The 110 pump motor is the same for both units. The rest of the machines motors and electronics are converted to 12 volt  DC by a bridge rectifier on the circuit board .  

Simple fix at this time would be to purchase a generator capable of putting out 220 volts.  

Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #7 on: Today at 10:18:11 PM »
Sounds like you need a step up transformer.  You would have to know the wattage of the sharpener to get it sized correctly.  I just made a quick Google:  LINK

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
WM pro series sharpener and Cooks sharpener with pics.

Started by customsawyer on Sawmills and Milling

61 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 08:45:10 PM
by Chuck White
xx
Fix the LTAGA Sharpener or Buy a New CBN Sharpener?

Started by Mountain_d on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post November 29, 2017, 05:36:04 AM
by Peter Drouin
xx
New Sharpener

Started by Steve_M on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2006, 10:37:23 PM
by BBTom
xx
new sharpener