The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Whatcha Sawin' ???  (Read 1186434 times)

Online Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
Re: Whatcha Sawin' ???
« Reply #11720 on: January 09, 2019, 01:45:35 PM »
This morning I finished sawing some 1x18x10' pine boards from the first big log for a customer.

Just in time for my first happy customer of the day. She brought me a piece of 6" diameter white birch log to cut into cookies for her baby shower event:

She didn't really understand to give me a thumbs up but she was happy with the pieces she got.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Online Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #11721 on: January 09, 2019, 03:49:15 PM »
I guess today is cookie day.
Another customer emailed me that he had some 4" thick ash cookies that he needed cut in half.
They were 26" in diameter.
And they had the bark on them.
But he said he was going to trim the bark off and that he could round the edges as needed.
So we created a fence to hold them upright so I could trim them to 24" wide.

Once trimmed they fit between the clamp and were held firm.

One cut down the middle, basically, and he was happy.

He's going to flatten them some with his router sled. And they are going to be table tops, cocktail tables for a wedding for his customer's daughters outside wedding.
These ash pieces have been down for 2 years or more. Not all of them were split.
10 pieces trimmed to size and then cut in half took one hour.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #11722 on: January 09, 2019, 04:30:42 PM »
I have done a few.  I think it is easier to start with the log, but these were obviously pre-cut.  I took 2 pressure treated 2 x 6s, and glued and screwed them the long way at 90 degrees.  This lays along my log stops and holds the bottom and side of a log pointing up,  for a big one I add another 2 by board so it does not fall through, and clamp it.  I can set up for any thickness.  No pics, sorry

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #11723 on: January 09, 2019, 06:06:55 PM »
Very good Jim so I am giving you two.  thumbs-up

My sawing went well today.

The early morning picture did not turn out too well but anyway the setup was nice.

Some 1" stuff.

And some framing lumber.  Some of that whack on the right is from my previously sawing for this customer.  1405bf today with two T7°'s.

Funny thing was that I pass an LT40 under a shed sawing about 3 miles from this customer and also this customer has a 2017 TimberKing 1220.  :-X  I ask no questions, just saw.  :D  He gave me a $25 tip.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11724 on: January 09, 2019, 10:45:59 PM »
found a few pics of cutting cookies. 

first 3 are walnut cookies

The last pic is ERC stump cookie for cub scout flags

Offline Crossroads

• let’s make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #11725 on: January 10, 2019, 12:17:00 AM »
I could think of plenty of reasons why you might be driving past another mill to get to this job. I’m not sure I could avoid asking why he hires the job out instead of running his own mill. Although, I would wait until the end of the day 😉
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator

Online DWyatt

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11726 on: January 10, 2019, 07:02:34 AM »

Is how these are stacked in the box some kind of drying technique? Or just what you grabbed to throw the cookies in????

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #11727 on: January 10, 2019, 07:38:08 AM »
I’m not sure I could avoid asking why he hires the job out instead of running his own mill.
  The new sawmill was there when I sawed for him in October.  I figured that he would watch the setup and ask some questions but he showed no interest in the sawing process.  He has lotsa toys and likes to talk, so I just do my job.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11728 on: January 10, 2019, 03:39:50 PM »
Hey dwyatt,  A little of both.  We made about 50 plus for a wedding.  Soaked in denatured alcohol in 30 gallon barrel, then set out to dry for a few hours, then in the box lid closed to slow the drying a bit so as not to split out the sapwood as much,  through a drum sander, watco Danish oil and Wa La they have been married for a year.

Offline Deere80

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11729 on: January 10, 2019, 03:57:47 PM »
Hard and soft maple this past weekend.

Wood-Mizer LT35HD

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #11730 on: January 10, 2019, 05:28:31 PM »
They are all nice but those "fishhook" slabs are exceptional.  You did a good job of splitting the pith dead center.  smiley_thumbsup

Offline Crossroads

• let’s make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #11731 on: January 10, 2019, 09:06:28 PM »
Those are some pretty slabs, for sure! 

Looks like I’ll be setting up this weekend on what left of the deck of blued pine. Last week I ran 7° blades. This week I get to try the turbo 7’s, I hope I have as good of experience with them as most of the others who’ve been using them. 
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator

Offline Deere80

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11732 on: January 11, 2019, 12:53:46 PM »
Thank you.

Crossroads, I was going to buy a box of the T7's but have 3 brand new boxes of 4's in the shop yet that have not been opened and I do not cut for a living so it will take me a while to use them up. So thought I would wait until they are used up or I would probably like the T7's so much that I wouldn't use the 4's anymore. 
Wood-Mizer LT35HD

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #11733 on: January 11, 2019, 05:10:21 PM »
Good thinking.  I finally got rid of the remainder of my 10° blades, (gave them away) and I will have to force myself to use the remainder of my 4° blades.

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
  • John and Nancy
    • Share Post
« Reply #11734 on: January 11, 2019, 07:28:33 PM »
Been reading the good luck you guys been having with T7's.   I tried to order some but WM advised against it due to lack of mill horse power.   

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #11735 on: January 11, 2019, 07:48:39 PM »
I can't answer how they would saw with a 20 something hp gasoline engine but I do know that there is a difference between my sawing with the non-turbo Diesel and the turbo Diesel that I have on the sawmill now.  The high HP rocks.

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #11736 on: January 11, 2019, 08:12:21 PM »
Been reading the good luck you guys been having with T7's.   I tried to order some but WM advised against it due to lack of mill horse power.  
Sixacres - I have been running turbo 7's on my 25hp LT35 for several years, and still do, I went to them after I was not happy with the performance I was getting from 10's and 7's - at the advice of my dealer.  I had the same conversation with Indy, honestly they would do better to adjust their recommendation on the use of this profile.   There is a member on here with a smaller engine - 22hp I think - and he has run the turbos as well with the same luck.  Now the 55hp turbo on my Super70 runs away with those turbos but no other band profile saws as well or as fast as the turbos on my 35.
I have sawn pine that was from guide to guide wide, white oak over 24", hickory, pecan, miserable half frozen, not so fresh felled logs among others on the 35 with Turbos -  all performed fine.     
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Online Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #11737 on: January 11, 2019, 09:38:27 PM »
I have the 22hp and have used the T7 blades. I think instead of the winter sampler box I should have just ordered a box of T7's they worked great for what I was sawing. think it was red oak, hickory, and spruce.

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #11738 on: January 11, 2019, 09:47:37 PM »
I can't say anything about 7° or T7°. All I've ever used is 10°. What I can say is last summer I was cutting some fast growing ponderosas from a guy's yard. These things were full of big knots and I couldn't make them saw flat for anything no matter what I tried. Alignment was perfect and so was everything else. So a bit frustrated I went home and put a couple of blades on my old drag sharpener and just before I hit start I thought of something. I reset the grind wheel to 7° and sharpened two blades. The next morning I put them on the mill and they cut flat. My mill cut better than it ever had.  

All my 10's have been ground back to 7° and when I order new blades they will be 7°, maybe even turbos. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #11739 on: January 11, 2019, 10:07:02 PM »
   I use 4 degree blades on pine or spruce because of the knots and they work good for me. I do have several T7's and am going to give them another chance when this next snow storm is over.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Sawmills and Milling

30 Replies
Last post May 22, 2018, 11:51:19 AM
by Crossroads
question
Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman on Sawmills and Milling

417 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 10:22:21 PM
by Magicman