iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOTE

Hey Bindian,
My primary log handler is a Kubota L4060 with an AgArmstrong grapple.  I really like it because it has a quick attach plate like skidsteers so it is easy to switch between forks, bucket, and grapple.  Works great for bucking logs to the mill and offloading cut lumber

as well.
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

nativewolf

@longtime lurker Nice looking lacewood.  Indeed it does look a lot like our qs sycamore, or the reverse actually.  Glad to see the floods didn't shut you down.  How fast will things dry up there?  I never got to Northern Australia, we traveled from Sydney south and then over to Tasmania (my favorite) and that was it.  
Liking Walnut

Magicman

longtime lurker, that Ash is some crazy stuff and it is quite understandable why the Oak is prized.  It's amazing what we sometimes get to see that is inside of logs.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

longtime lurker

Quote from: nativewolf on February 11, 2019, 06:57:31 AM
@longtime lurker Nice looking lacewood.  Indeed it does look a lot like our qs sycamore, or the reverse actually.  Glad to see the floods didn't shut you down.  How fast will things dry up there?  I never got to Northern Australia, we traveled from Sydney south and then over to Tasmania (my favorite) and that was it.  
I see the same resemblance to your sycamore. This will darken with oxidisation to a yellower colour though.

The floods are bad. Townsville copped a hit but will recover. The rangelands to the west... Its all gone. Quick and dirty metric to imperial ... Theres 30 million acres under water, estimated cattle losses between 300 to 500,000. Kangaroos, emus... Anything and everything that couldnt get up out of the water is dead.
Roads...rail...fences... Buildings and infrastructure... All gone.

That is a satellite image of the lower Gulf of Carpentaria, with the Flinders River 80 miles wide in full flood, and further flooding offscreen to the east and south in other river systems.

A chopper pilot mate I spoke with yesterday had overflown one property with 50k cattle on it... Not a single live beast or any other wildlife in 600 square miles, and the smell of death everywhere.
I got a lot of friends out that way. 

At the other end of the country Tasmania is burning. And 7 years of drought in the middle.
Yeh... It's bad
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Magicman

Oh my, on my side of the world I didn't even know about it.  :o  I suppose that each of us are living in our own little worlds, and worlds apart.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

This is the first I have heard of this tragedy.
My heart goes out to all involved.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

longtime lurker

Queensland floods: About 300,000 cattle dead after Townsville floods | PerthNow

Don't click the link if you have a liking for cows. But that's what's out there.

It rained and rained and the water came up fast. And then the temperature dropped and they had a night of 50 mph wind in the rain. The cattle were weak from drought, and they basicly bogged down and drowned or exposure got them.

As a cattleman I find that more upsetting than a couple thousand homes inundated in Townsville.... S'what happens when you build in a swamp right.

Anyway, we'll survive. Wet season is only just starting too.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Magicman

Your video is attached to Facebook which I can't see.  :-\

Crossroads

That's a sad deal, I hope you guys can recover quickly, but loosing that many cattle is going to be rough. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

longtime lurker

Fixed it for ya Lynn.

All you can do is say "'straya,mate"... Which translates to something like its always a land of extremes, droughts, floods, fires, cyclones, heatwaves etc: pull your big boy pants up and get on with it or get outta the way.

What annoys me is the government response... The feds give 4 million to the local shire (county) governments which cover between them an area about the size of Texas the same time it sends quarter billion in foreign aid offshore. The feds also got the air force ready to drop fodder and fuel into places, been sitting by a runway for a week...But the state hasn't signed off on it for political reasons. Meanwhile everyone gets their picture taken, and nothing gets done. Yeah... Lot of people are angry, but we're alive to be angry so it could be worse.

'straya mate.

Southside

I had not heard of this either, my heart goes out to all those impacted, I just can't imagine coming home to that kind of a loss.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Still could not open it but a Google search for; "Queensland flood" found plenty of distruction.  :-X

longtime lurker

Its depressing... Go back to talking about pretty boards and sawmills it's far more enjoyable.

I'm about to get verrryyyy busy. I'm the closest fixed mill to Townsville, and we do a lot of the heavy structural bridge timbers for the secondary roads in that western country.... Soon as trucks can move I got logs coming at me from everywhere, and no time for cutting fun things till who knows when. Its an ill wind etc etc but I tell ya I'd rather be cruising along and not have so many I know hurting.

Darrel

My thoughts and prayers are for friends I've never met in Queensland. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

Today I/we have been "making ready" for my road trip return next week.  Dull blades boxed, sharp blades ready, new Debarker blade, new power feed belt, chainsaw gas/oil, ATF, marking paint, wire brushes, & Diesel.  PatD has been busy with my laundry.  Nothing exciting, just check items off of the list.  Anytime that I am sawing that far away from home, my comfort level gets stretched.   ::)  

Crossroads

I've gotten a couple calls this week, but this weather is holding me back. Last night we got about 10" of fresh snow and the temps have been hitting single digits. It looks like my plan of running the mill full time, is going to be put on hold for a while. It looks like I'm going back to punching a clock again next month. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Woodpecker52

Loaded down a trailer load of cypress  beams for a customer to start timber frame home in NW Ms. today at the load dock noticed the plum trees are starting to bloom and all the tree buds are swelled,  looks like spring is ready to spring around here.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

quadracutter222

Saturday
Laying out a log from a balsam (true fir) boomstick. Western Hemlock and doug fir next.

Square thing are good things ;)

Some of the yield, 4x4s for ground dunnage and 4x6 for woodshed expansion.

Sunday

Magicman

Quote from: Woodpecker52 on February 11, 2019, 11:04:53 PMthe plum trees are starting to bloom and all the tree buds are swelled, looks like spring is ready to spring around here.
We have had a few daffodils for several weeks, but now they are everywhere.  The lawn grass is greening up. 

The only thing that is hampering my sawing is rain....much rain.  The forecast is ~50% for next week which is not good when you are 230 miles from home on the customer's expenses.  Hopefully I can get at least 6 hours per day sawing.

petefrom bearswamp

Not sawing anything yet.
Snow at the mill site got down to about 8" during our short spring last week, but is snowing now and expect 6 to 10" then freezing rain.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Crossroads

We picked up another 6-8" of fresh snow last night. No sawing this week ❄️❄️❄️❄️

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Magicman on February 12, 2019, 08:33:45 AM
Quote from: Woodpecker52 on February 11, 2019, 11:04:53 PMthe plum trees are starting to bloom and all the tree buds are swelled, looks like spring is ready to spring around here.
We have had a few daffodils for several weeks, but now they are everywhere.  The lawn grass is greening up.  

The only thing that is hampering my sawing is rain....much rain.  The forecast is ~50% for next week which is not good when you are 230 miles from home on the customer's expenses.  Hopefully I can get at least 6 hours per day sawing.
You guys are KILLIN' me. smiley_brick hits_hardhat
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Frontier_Paul

Cutting up some Pecan and Sycamore

Magicman

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 12, 2019, 12:22:23 PMYou guys are KILLIN' me.
Nope, you will freeze long before our hot air gets to you.  :D

Paul, nice slabbing.  Plans for the slabs?

Thank You Sponsors!