iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derhntr

Looks kind of like my last weekend saw job. Customer wanted 3x5's hard to do with 6 inch tops. 6 hrs for 16 trees  >:( ended up with lots of wane which customer was ok with. Good luck MM
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Magicman

The customer flies out Monday for a 2 week oil patch hitch, so it will be mid-June.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grouch

That resembles what I try to salvage, except mine would be 8 ft.

Probably would have lost a significant number of those logs to rot if he continued to try cutting them up with a manual mill. That still leaves you with a lot of slice & turn for not many boards per log.
Find something to do that interests you.

SlowJoeCrow

With those smaller logs, will you be sawing by hourly rate instead of by bd ft?

Magicman

No, bf rate which is why I needed to make a visit and look.  He was crunching budget numbers and needed to know how much. 

I can roll with the pecker poles, but I will need good help so that I never have to leave the seat.  Also as I mentioned above, the cants will have to be flipped with the Logrite Sawmill Special to speed up the turning.  Also, there should be no edging.  Just cant it up and saw through.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

nativewolf

I wonder if he'd have done better by selling them for poles and buying rough sawn 1" pine from another bloke.
Liking Walnut

Magicman

No, there is no market for this small size/number of logs and finding the lumber for this price would not have been possible.  He made a good decision.  As you can see in the background this is plantation Pine.

Sure, I would have probably made more by sawing hourly rate, but he needed some figures to work his budget and I am willing to "man up" to the task.  It will be interesting to compare the outcome but I will do OK.

paul case

Plus it could give yor punkin colrd sowdust makin machine a break from dem big uns!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Well said Paul but just my luck that someone would show up with a big one!

I am thinking that I'm gonna have to quarter this Cypress butt log.  What say you??

paul case

I think they may have logged that one when their equipment was new!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

grouch

Quote from: Magicman on May 19, 2017, 05:12:22 PM

I am thinking that I'm gonna have to quarter this Cypress butt log.  What say you??

Call the Bibbyman, we got some whittlin' to do!

Are those outriggers or is somebody *really* good at parallel parking?

Darrel

Quote from: grouch on May 19, 2017, 06:21:00 PM
Quote from: Magicman on May 19, 2017, 05:12:22 PM

Me thinks somebody planted those "outriggers" in the concrete after that log was parked there to help discourage theft.

Call the Bibbyman, we got some whittlin' to do!

Are those outriggers or is somebody *really* good at parallel parking?

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

We have rain coming the first of the week so I have this scheduled beginning Thursday of next week.

I see some junk in there but also some fairly nice logs.  It will be woodworking/hobby lumber so some of it will be live edged and also some thicker stuff.  At least I can try out my new Setworks Display.

I have three days set aside to saw it, but it only looks like two day's work.  I will move the RV nearby so Pat & I can also have a mini-vacation of sorts.  Yup, me sawing and her shopping and kicking back.   ::)

grouch

Not fair. You have shade near those logs.

WV Sawmiller

The last time I had a mobile sawing job with well stacked logs in a level field with great access and a shade tree they all had pine sawyer grubs in them and were no good. We sawed 2 logs and canceled the job. I knew it was too good to be true.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Treehack

Was up to the family property this week to get my garden planted.  Brought back one more little walnut "play" log that I had forgotten about.  Only about 5 footer, kind of the crotchety leftover from the tree.

Opened first face

Cut a couple of cookies from the crotch side to level and square it.  Think this one will be a clock when I get it dried.

Then turned one more time and plain sawed 4/4 with one live edge the rest of the way down to a final 2" slab.  Turned out to have some interesting light dark contrasting figure(2 inch slab on top).

Had a couple of what I thought were "scabs" leftover until I got to looking at them and thought they were interesting(especially the dark completely surrounded by light on the top one) so I kept them.  Would love some opinions from the FF genius club on possible uses.

All in all a fun little log.  My walnut stash growth

And that is a good thing my friend (old MM saying).

TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Magicman

And a nice looking stash but your clock cookie will crack.   :-\

Darrel

MM, when that happens, there'll be a break in the space/time continuum.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

fishfighter

Looks like no sawing for a week or more due to rain. Had a down pour that came down in buckets this afternoon that last well over an hour.

Don't think I ever saw so much rain in a short period come down. Bad thing, a lot more rain till Wednesday. :(

grouch

Sorry about that, fishfighter. I touched my chainsaw. Every time I do that, it rains. Got a thunderstorm going on here right now.

Magicman: Would Anchorseal do any good for a cookie slice, or is it just there's too much shrinkage whether the moisture comes out the ends or the sides?

Kbeitz

I thought you guys had enough rain a few years ago...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Paul, we woulda gotten our feet wet taking our picture.   :o

fishfighter

Heck, it's starting up again. Next three days have a forecast of heavy rain. :(

Lynn, I don't think work boots would help. Maybe knee boots. ;D

BigZ La

Man Fish were still dry this way. Plaquemine had some but it didn't make it to the house yet.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Treehack on May 20, 2017, 05:39:25 PM

Had a couple of what I thought were "scabs" leftover until I got to looking at them and thought they were interesting(especially the dark completely surrounded by light on the top one) so I kept them.  Would love some opinions from the FF genius club on possible uses.

The second one looks like a good bench seat, already has the cupholder built in...

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!