iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

looks like walnut to me, peel off some bark and see if you have a bright yellow between log and bark.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kbeitz

Now you got thinking that it might be Walnut to... Wow.
There is no smell even when I chopped off some bark.
It does have a yellow cast under the bark. So I googled
Walnut and found that there is different kinds of Walnut.

Tropical walnut
Colombian walnut
Ecuadorian walnut
Arizona walnut
New Mexico walnut
mountain walnut
river walnut
Eastern black walnut
American walnut
white walnut
long walnut

I learn something new here every day.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I talked to the lady at the horse farm where the logs are coming from
and I ask her if she ever seen any walnuts under this tree. She said no.
So I'm still stumped.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Southside

Maybe the squirrels beat her to them. I am in camp walnut.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

pineywoods

If that ain't walnut, sure has me fooled. Some trees don't bear nuts..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

Not all Walnut trees bear nuts.  Neither do all Pecan and other individual nut/fruit bearing trees.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Even with this sub zero wind chill factors I managed to saw out some 6x6x8' pine floor joists for a timber frame project being cut here in my sawmill yard this week.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

Even the timbers look cold
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Heck, it's been cold here all day and that 20+ mph wind is not helping. :o This cold stuff needs to keep up north. Forecast for next Tuesday, snow. Had a few flakes today.

Got some more cabinets built, but I think I spent more time feeding the wood stove today. ;D Got one more base cabinet to do and then it will be door time building.

Magicman

I am scheduled to saw a small job (~10 logs) Monday and I hope to finish because it's forecast to be 14° here Wednesday morning.  Ain't sawing in that!   :-\

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

True, nor "rattlemoccasins"......nor me.   :D

Clark

Kbeitz - There is absolutely zero chance that is black ash.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

fishfighter

Quote from: Magicman on January 12, 2018, 09:07:24 PM
True, nor "rattlemoccasins"......nor me.   :D

Thursday, was pulling some boards to resaw  and saw a small copper head. Was 72. Dead sucker now. Got a ton of them here. :o

Jim_Rogers

Day before yesterday, I was sawing out a long hemlock log trying to get an 8x8x16' from it.
It was an old log but I thought maybe I could get something out of it for the timber frame being cut in my sawmill yard.
The log was very straight but it was old and has been eaten very much by the bugs:

I'll have to save it for some blocking for heavy equipment repairmen to use to block up their machines.

Jim Rogers

Magicman

Woulda made a nice bench.

Jim_Rogers

Just getting ready to saw its replacement and saw this:

Jim Rogers

starmac

Well at least you saw it and didn't saw it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

WDH

K,

It is certainly black walnut. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kbeitz

Quote from: WDH on January 14, 2018, 07:51:49 AM
K,

Thanks... The bark was different than all the 40 some Walnut
trees we have here on the farm. Thanks again.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

21incher

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 14, 2018, 09:31:32 AM
Quote from: WDH on January 14, 2018, 07:51:49 AM
K,

Thanks... The bark was different than all the 40 some Walnut
trees we have here on the farm. Thanks again.
Cut it. If it starts out greenish and turns brown in a little while it is walnut. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Lawg Dawg

PA PA PINE BOARDS  8)

The new  40 WIDE is spittin it out pretty good...so much so, I'm thinking about going ahead and trade it on a SUPER 70 WIDE  :D  I think the Charlotte, NC market can bear it! 8)  it's a good one
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Magicman

That is some purdy SYP lumber. 

I'll bet that those first stacks tried to sap up your blade.   :-\

Jim_Rogers

Although I don't normally saw on a Sunday, I did today to make up for missing days due to "storms" in my area.

After lunch I went out and rolled over the cant.

It had icicles on it, shown in red circle and at point of arrow:

Must have had some trapped water in the sapwood holes.

Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!