iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

My roadtrip job is still progressing very well, well actually better than that because PatD came with me this week.   ;D

I am dealing with some cull logs such as this one with ring shake.

Split down the middle.

And this one with a deer hunter's screw in and grown in climbing steps.   :-\

I am seeing probably two more day's sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Looks like you're getting to the culls.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

paul case

I have logs that good.

Just another few hundred miles and you could be at my place and help me learn how to saw up logs like that and come out with a silk purse. ;D

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WLC

Quote from: starmac on February 12, 2018, 03:13:29 PM
We must have the same weather guesser.

Wish our weather guesser would quit.  Snowed Sat night and again last night.  About 6 inches between the two nights. Went out to plow after it stopped late this morning.  Came in when I was through and told my wife I had done a first.  I had plowed snow in all kinds of weather and conditions, but today was the first time I had ever plowed snow in the rain.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Kbeitz

Indians called it white rain....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Darrel

Got a call from a man with a mill that wants me to saw his logs on my mill. Here's his mill.

Here's the logs. Ponderosa pine. 8' - 12' largest 30". Too big for his little mill.

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I like that old antique.  :)

4x4American

Got in a load of black locust today.  Not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet, either saw it or sell it.

Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Looks like you're at Peter's place.  :)

rjwoelk

Andries and grizz I am on my way to tx tomorrow.
Paul, see what directions they send me but may be going past your place next week.
Was in the tri cities last week monday, grass was green 50 deg. 3 days later 30 below .
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Darrel

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on February 12, 2018, 10:34:29 PM
I like that old antique.  :)

I kinda like it too. It's an old Foley Belsaw.  This is the first time I've seen one. I was surprised at how small and simple it is. That tractor is twice as much power as he needs. I half jokingly offered to take the old mill off his hands as payment for sawin his logs and he said that he'd have to cut down a couple more trees.  We shall see.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: 4x4American on February 12, 2018, 11:00:54 PM
Got in a load of black locust today.  Not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet, either saw it or sell it.

Put it on ice for awhile.  :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

terrifictimbersllc

I agreed to saw today.  25 degrees out, high 35.  Will be ok once I get going.

Since last job I rebuilt my tensioner and riveted the chute back onto the drive wheel cover.  Looking forward to both of these little pleasures.  8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

Some nice looking Locust there, 4x4!

Most around here have some crook, or even double-crook to them! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

With our Locust it's a sorta pain to get some yield, at least what I sawed a few weeks ago was. 

It'll be in the 30's here today.  Rain forecast for the rest of the week which may end this job.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

DUG,

I bet that if you sawed them into posts that you could do well with them.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on February 13, 2018, 07:38:37 AM
DUG,

I bet that if you sawed them into posts that you could do well with them.

I was thinking the same thing, Then I was thinking what it would cost to put that load in my yard.  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

If I had load of good solid locust I'd cut everything I could into poles for pole barns with any side lumber big enough into bridge timbers and possibly the smaller stuff into posts. They are comparable to treated lumber IMHO.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jim_Rogers

I just finished off another 6x10 timber for the shed being cut in my yard. Hopefully that's the last one on this job.
I made some nice 1x10's out of the side lumber for the 57' boat barn:

Next, I'll start cutting red oak for trailer decking, again.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

I finished all of the sawable logs on my road trip job this evening with 11,930 bf sawn. 

The first order of business was straightening my bent loader arm.

Good as new but the paint doesn't match.  I used high temp engine enamel on the still hot arms, but at least it's Orange.

Using the trackhoe bucket to move the heavy slabs onto the skidsteer forks.

Steady as she goes.

Success.  I hated that he only wanted 8" and 12" timbers.  No 10" and no side lumber but the firewood haulers were busy.  There was much waste but the customer got what he wanted, and I got paid.   ;D

The last 6X12 timber.

A whack of timbers.

An empty yard with only some end cutoffs and culls left.

So PatD and I celebrated at the Habachi Grill with Shrimp and Filet'.  food3  A good ending of 6½ days sawing.

Peter Drouin

You did a good job sawing, Too bad the guy wasted so much wood.
You are an easy man Magicman, no way would I let them near my mill with the hoe. They could have just as easily mess up the mill more than they did.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Andries

Agree with you Peter.
Seeing the picture of the hoe that close to the mill would give me the willies if it was mine.
If they're good operators, all is well.
But how can you tell until the action starts?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Grizzly

Quote from: rjwoelk on February 12, 2018, 11:13:31 PM
Andries and grizz I am on my way to tx tomorrow.

rj, once upon a time when I was dispatching I'd get my guys a nice paying load down to Georgia or Texas or something like that and about the time they hit OK or KY they liked to phone back and ask about the weather. GRRRR is about all I ever had to say to them. But I got even one day. Tarped CNC machine coming out of GA. Took him 3 hours with stops for water and sweat cleanup.  ;D

No plus temps here like the weather guesser promised. -1° was the closest it got. So mill is still deep in snow.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

4x4American

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 13, 2018, 05:42:43 AM
Quote from: 4x4American on February 12, 2018, 11:00:54 PM

Put it on ice for awhile.  :)

Done.  Lol
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 13, 2018, 09:57:06 PMYou are an easy man Magicman, no way would I let them near my mill with the hoe.
Actually under normal circumstances I agree Peter.  Problem was this was not "normal" in any way.  No side lumber and only wanting 8" and 12".  Many logs would have easily made 10" but I had to whack them down making very heavy slabs unless I made extra cuts just to lighten them up.  The slab shown above was too heavy for us to push off of the cant so we had to do something. 

My bent loader arm was not due to any loading or unloading but was the guy on the skidsteer trying to "help out" by clearing away the bark and debris.

I am glad that I did not reject this job as I originally thought about doing.   ;D   

Thank You Sponsors!