The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: Whatcha Sawin' ???  (Read 919345 times)

ljmathias, Bruno of NH and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online olcowhand

• I'm new- ish!
    • Share Post
Re: Whatcha Sawin' ???
« Reply #9660 on: May 18, 2018, 04:37:56 AM »
Thanks for the tips, Brad.
Maybe I'll forego the winch and try it without for now.
As for the "Young man's game", I'll have to hurry up and get it out of my system before I get old (I'm only 60)! Only person who calls me "old" is my 8 year old daughter (there's a joke in there somewhere, I'm just not sure of the punch line).
I only have 3 logs saved to try it with; a Beech, an Ash, and a nice 10' clear Hard Maple.
I got the bug from this forum, and want to give it a try. Maybe I'll graduate to a real mill and spend some of my retirement sawing Logs (MM is my  hero, and I want to be just like him when I grow up).
Ezekiel 36:26-27

Offline SawyerTed

• Hi, I have a saw dust addiction and fishing pox.
    • Share Post
« Reply #9661 on: May 18, 2018, 07:50:22 AM »
Olcowhand, 8 year old daughter.....YOU ARE MY HERO!   :D 8) :D 

I tried chainsaw milling for a few years.  It got old quick.  I still use it to cut a live edge or two but once the log is broken down I move to the band sawmill. 
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • My timberframe blog
« Reply #9662 on: May 18, 2018, 08:13:41 AM »
Magicman is a freak of nature with the numbers he puts up.  No mortal man can keep up with him.  I kept getting frustrated that I couldn't mill as much as him in an hour, day, week.  Then I realized he is a sorcerer and uses magic.

Alls I'm saying is, CSM'ing looks so easy when other people are doing it, but it is actually much harder work than it looks. It's a tool for when you have no other option.  It's painfully slow setting up the ladder the first half dozen times.  You will get faster with practice, but still takes a while.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #9663 on: May 18, 2018, 09:52:26 AM »
I highly suggest making the winch pull toward the sprocket end of the unit.  I had mine in the middle to feed evenly at first and it was very sensitive to slipping the clutch.  I then rerouted my pull rope further away and only use it to advance the far side as if its a partner who always does exactly what i want. 

I used to look "down the barrel" of the log and push forward on the saw handle. I usually face the log now and pull back on the saw handle, resisting the powerhead's effort at pulling into the bark.  At times i am able to actually hold it back an inch or so from the bark and it moves along the cut a bit smoother and a touch faster due to less friction.   This gives me more feel of when im loaded into harder wood and need to let it eat slower, vs when i can push in and move faster.  The saw will yank into the cut and let you know its fighting a tough spot.  I ease off at my end the  crank the winch a hair to advance the sprocket end, then roll the pressure back onto the saw handle at a pace that doesnt bog it down.  Id be in a lot worse a position and a lot more worn out without the winch. 

This is an early pic from when i first built it for a test.  Things have changed but winch is still working good like that.  Other than the uprights loosener up a bit and shoulda been triangular to brace against the line pull.  

Revelation 3:20

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • My timberframe blog
« Reply #9664 on: May 18, 2018, 10:31:21 AM »
I agree, pulling out at the helper handle(on mine) would be ok.  You can't pull very hard or you could bog the saw, but it would be like having a helper. I'd like to see a current pic and how you rig it up.  how does it attache to the log, how you position your hands and body?  Are you see saw'ing back and forth with your mill, or moving evenly?  I just don't want anyone to think you can just crank a winch and it will make it saw faster.  The saw can only move as fast as it can chew the wood, and the saw usually has it's mouth full and has to go at a slow and steady pace.  You cannot force it.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #9665 on: May 18, 2018, 01:15:06 PM »
Youre definitely right about that Mr Brad. Im not even cutting big stuff and my 395 isnt hard to stall.  Youre always on the cusp of a stopped chain and backing off.  

The rig is off the saw for bar dressing and such right now but ill get a pic next time.  If its just junky treefort planks full of ant holes and dirt i dont mind rocking it but for nice wood i travel square and slow.  Im new at sawing and just trying to learn it myself while i teach the boy how to make do with what weve got.  Cutting logs open for dissection is really helping me to be a better judge of standing timber.
Revelation 3:20

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #9666 on: May 18, 2018, 04:27:11 PM »
2 " X 7" dam boards for one of the local irrigation districts. 

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline SawyerTed

• Hi, I have a saw dust addiction and fishing pox.
    • Share Post
« Reply #9667 on: May 18, 2018, 05:33:33 PM »
I'm not sawing anything at all.  I would need pontoons on the mill.

Considering dimensions on an ark!
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Offline Crossroads

• lets make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #9668 on: May 18, 2018, 05:53:05 PM »
Nice looking boards Darrell, kinda odd dimensions though
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummings,

Online olcowhand

• I'm new- ish!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9669 on: May 18, 2018, 06:57:23 PM »
Thanks for all the input, gents; if it's not an imposition to the Band Sawyers, just keep throwing the tips out there as you're posting, and I'll pick it up.
Ezekiel 36:26-27

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #9670 on: May 18, 2018, 10:29:11 PM »
Nice looking boards Darrell, kinda odd dimensions though
The local competitors of Home Depot wanted $1,500 for that order you see in the back of my truck because of those odd demensions. I under bid them by quite a bit and still feel like it was a very profitable day. Beside that, I cut another 900 BF on another order. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline Crossroads

• lets make some sawdust
    • Share Post
« Reply #9671 on: May 19, 2018, 01:37:32 PM »
Ya gotta love jobs like that, I just st wish there was more of them. I have a bid in on a job for oak blocking for $3 a bdft, that should be a profitable afternoon. 

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #9672 on: May 19, 2018, 05:45:08 PM »
Yes meeting market niches is where the $$$ are and it really does not matter whether you are selling yourself or a product.  Provided a service or a product that is not readily available and doing so in such a way that the customer has a good return on his investment will insure that they keep coming back for more.

The last two replies are perfect examples.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Crossroads

• lets make some sawdust
    • Share Post
« Reply #9673 on: May 19, 2018, 08:17:10 PM »
Just had a referral call today, the guy has 32 fir logs that are 24-32 long. So, thats at least 64 logs to mill. He seemed pretty excited until we started talking about the 2 hour drive and travel charges. In the end he said he was going to check with someone closer. Kinda bitter sweet, Id love to do a bigger job like that, but I only have 3 days open before I start tearing the roof off my house on June 7th. And that would cut into my prep time. 

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #9674 on: May 19, 2018, 08:31:13 PM »
If travel and/or lodging is a deal killer then it is what it is.  Saw the ones that you get and don't fret about the ones that you don't get.  It's just part of being successful. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #9675 on: May 20, 2018, 02:49:24 PM »
Yep dont start trying to compete on price with a local sawyer near him, which is what compromising on travel charges would be. Maybe compete on quality, service, your good looks or something else. Tell him your willing to come if he changes his mind.

in addition to travel costs, disadvantage of increasing distance also includes the ability to assess whether the job is really ready, consequences of it not being ready, and your  being on the hook for performing the job at that distance from home no matter what happens including with the weather. That being said I do often saw two hours from home.

My travel charges dont really pay me for driving time,  just expense, so I am in some sense compromising already. I am making the same amount of money if I have to drive five hours in a day or a half hour. Ill tell you which I would prefer if you ask.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT   2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker, hydraulics everywhere), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #9676 on: May 20, 2018, 03:04:13 PM »
With road trips you are also the one with your neck out (old saying) if you have a breakdown.  Last year I had an alternator failure when I was over 200 miles from home.  Wood-Mizer overnighted one to the motel and I was up and sawing the next day, but the expenses of the lost time was mine.  I am just saying that the risk is there and lodging doesn't really cover everything. 

Also as Dennis mentioned above, travel and setup fees do not reimburse me for the 3 hours that I sit behind the steering wheel driving 230 miles. 

Offline scleigh

• Share Post
« Reply #9677 on: May 20, 2018, 03:59:03 PM »
Haven't been able to get any sawing done, just trying to round up more walnut, cherry and maple.

Brought this load of walnut home yesterday. Hope to get 2 more this week

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #9678 on: May 20, 2018, 04:22:06 PM »
Hey, that is a nice "roundup".  8)

Offline E-Tex

• Full Member x2
  • Rather be Saw'n or Fish'n
    • Share Post
    • www.L2Sawmill.com
« Reply #9679 on: May 20, 2018, 04:34:47 PM »
Saturday Job!  All went well with these BIG logs.  All live-edge....2 3/8"

<br

Just Squeezed Through!!!!

Happy Customer (far right)...and his two brothers.  Hard Working Crew, did a great job.

2017 LT-50 Wide, Wireless Remote,
L2 Sawmill LLC

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Sawmills and Milling

30 Replies
Last post May 22, 2018, 11:51:19 AM
by Crossroads
xx
Whatcha All think About This ??

Started by Fla._Deadheader on General Board

25 Replies
Last post June 28, 2005, 06:44:55 AM
by crtreedude