TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Whatcha Sawin' ???  (Read 1035807 times)

Eppdso and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Crossroads

• letís make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
Re: Whatcha Sawin' ???
« Reply #10140 on: July 06, 2018, 08:58:11 PM »
Nice walnut B.B. 
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins

Offline Busysawyer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10141 on: July 06, 2018, 10:07:04 PM »
WDH, crossroads.  This is my first attempt at buying a load of logs to grade saw and wholesale.  The veneer buyer took what they wanted and we bought the rest . 6,200 bf walnut, 800bf cherry, 1500 bf red oak, 600bf hard maple Doyle scale.  I didn't have  pay for the little bit of red elm , soft maple or hickory that was laying there. I had to put out a good chunk of change and I'm very nervous about making any money. Most of the walnut looks good but there is a fair amount of little logs and a few big ones with rotten spots. The logger is a friend of the family and knows I'm green as it gets but said he didn't beat me up on grade and he's sure I'll make out alright. I hope I'm not about to learn an expensive lesson.  
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Offline Lawg Dawg

• True South Sawmill Lumber
    • Share Post
« Reply #10142 on: July 06, 2018, 10:14:46 PM »
Some White Oak,  BB running out of logs is no good, especially when you trying to make $$.  I've got to do some logging next week myself!  Thank goodness for the people bringing me their logs to custom saw, not as much money as selling retail, but it keeps the capital flowing! :)

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc
John Deere 4000, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong.  100 acres of mostly trees!

True South Sawmill Lumber,  located  approximately 45 miles south of Charlotte, NC

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Offline Just Right

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • JustRightSawing
« Reply #10143 on: July 06, 2018, 10:48:14 PM »
BB,  Back in 98 I teamed up with my best friend and started a logging business.  He had all the experience and I didn't.  You talked about being GREEN.  Well I was greener than that.  And his words of wisdom were.. . ."You never know if you will get your head cut off,  if you don't stick your neck out!"  I am sure you will do fine.  Good luck!
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Offline Busysawyer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10144 on: July 06, 2018, 11:07:40 PM »
Lawg dawg, I saw that pic on your fb page today. Nice looking slab, I haven't had the pleasure of milling any white oak yet. Yes running out of logs is not good at all.  I've been scrambling the last couple weeks trying to make connections with loggers and buy standing timber. Can't post pics in the watcha sawing thread without anything to saw. I think I've made a couple deals for buying some good timber but no contract signed yet, just a handshake on the deal. I'm meeting the father in law on the 21st up at one of his properties in northern MI to look over his place there. He has about 1200 wooded acres he's owned since the 70s and hasn't had it cut. I've never seen the land but it sounds like a promising source for a steady supply of logs. I've talked to a couple crews that said they could log it and a guy that says he can haul it. I've been seriously stressing the supply issue and have been on the phone way too much trying to put all the pieces together.  I just want to stay at home in my own little happy place and make piles of lumber and sawdust.  
Just right , I appreciate the words of encouragement.  At this point I've got a lot of money wrapped up in this and I'm all in. I've always felt that if I work hard and try to make smart educated decisions every thing will come together.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Offline PA_Walnut

• Share Post
« Reply #10145 on: July 07, 2018, 07:04:47 AM »
I hope I'm not about to learn an expensive lesson.

No risk=no reward. Look out for metal! Walnut seems to grow it inside.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Baker Portable Edger with Kubota Diesel
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #10146 on: July 07, 2018, 07:57:29 AM »
Are you gonna sell the hard maple wholesale?  Just wanna make sure that it hasnít sat around for more than 3 weeks so the log donít stain. 
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Just Right

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • JustRightSawing
« Reply #10147 on: July 07, 2018, 11:02:29 AM »
BB,  I agree with you.  Hard work and smart decisions is always a plus.  I am in the same boat.  I will be retiring in Jan and will have more time to go full steam ahead.  I have been doing everything possible to get things set up and rolling now so when the time comes I won't feel like . . . . .I am so far behind I think I am winning!  
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10148 on: July 07, 2018, 12:52:07 PM »
So, I got out today early and finished resetting up my mill after bending a track. To test things, I put a dead water oak that was small and I felled it about 8-9 months ago.

All is good and it was nice to just saw something up. ;D Little log, I pulled out two 2x6's and four 4/4 x 8's. All 10' long. I did just flat sawed that log and chunked the pith.

I did do a first today.

Yep, a bullet. ;D

Offline okmulch

• Share Post
« Reply #10149 on: July 07, 2018, 01:00:42 PM »
3 logs and 20 full 2x8. 15 foot long for a pergola. 

Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #10150 on: July 07, 2018, 05:12:46 PM »
    Well, I started out to spray weeds in the pasture and my wife yelled at me I had a customer on the way with some Paulownia. He had called a day or two ago but we did not have a set schedule. Anyway I went ahead and got ready. I broke the little plastic fitting on the fuel tank the hose connects to when I took the cover off the mill. I put it back on and cranked and let it idle a few minutes with no problem so figured I'd limp by. Went to edge 2 walnut boards I missed and after first one the mill died. Of course then the customer arrived with a big 14' dump trailer. He pulled in and I had to drag a couple logs out of the way with ATV and tractor and then we tried to crank the mill with no success. Finally took the connector off the hose and put it directly in the tank and it worked fine like that. Duct taped over the tank mouth to secure the hose and keep sawdust out.

Mostly real small and some short stuff so running hourly rate. Customer wanted 9/4 so once we agreed on how much wane was okay everything went pretty fast. I guess 150 bf or so and he left 5-6 20"-24" pieces for me to saw later as he and daughter had to get back to caregiver duties. The customer wanted 2 side boards for his trailer and just happened I had some leftover 2"X12"X14' ash boards I'd cut for someone else so we dug them out and got them on the forks of John and on to his trailer. Nice folks and he seemed happy. Unfortunately I did not get pictures. Maybe on the short pieces I have left I can.

I had heard the wood was light and soft but it was like buckeye or something. It looked a lot like the Ailanthus I have cut along my creek bank and back yard but I never tried sawing them yet. Very quick to saw. Looked more like a softwood than hardwood with no heart checks in evidence. I'd love to get a lot of it in decent sizes.

WM offices were closed when I got to the house but I'll try Monday for the hose fitting. I'd bet I could get one from the outboard motor dealers. Looks a lot like a Mercury outboard fitting but likely cheaper and better to get it from WM.

Oh yeah - this customer came from a card given out at a local flea market visit a couple of weeks ago. Poor sales at the time but did serve as advertising.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10151 on: July 07, 2018, 09:47:55 PM »
   After I cooled off a bit I went back and sawed an 8' spruce butt log into 2- 16/4 mantels because I did not have any of them in stock yet. Sawed one wide 8/4 for same reason and a little side lumber as 4/4. I edged the back of one mantel and am going to take it to a blacksmith I met and have him fab some black iron bands for each end. Left the other and the slab LE on both sides.

Restacked some ash and walnut LE 8/4 slabs since I had to restack from my customer buying the ash 2X12s off the stack earlier.

Norway Spruce for 2 4" mantels, a wide 8/4 slab and 4/4 side lumber. About 125 bf total

Finished mantels and slab. The customers remaining Paulinia Paulownia "Logs" can be seen underneath. I'll make a jig and cut them in a day or two.

Temporary patch to the fuel line. Zip ties we tried at first did not work. Only using about top gallon of fuel because of short amount of hose in the tank.

Blackjack came by to supervise. I looked up in my spruce patch about 75 yards away and an old doe with spotted fawn and a yearling were there. Sampson barked and I guess with the spotted fawn she decided not to come any closer.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
  • John and Nancy
    • Share Post
« Reply #10152 on: July 07, 2018, 10:59:43 PM »
Early morning and late evening milling pine 1 1/2 X 4 X 16+ for metal roof stripping for a steep roof.  The hotter part of the day was spent under the AC and in my above ground in the ground pool. 

Offline rjwoelk

• Share Post
    • countrysidefirewood
« Reply #10153 on: July 08, 2018, 02:31:22 AM »
I got all my floor joists cut and most of the flooring as well. Plus one 8x10 for a tiebeam for a shed I will be doing.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-10 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10154 on: July 08, 2018, 09:03:23 AM »
What am I sawing?
two words, shaky Hemlock.
WV can you saw NS without making waves?
If so what is your secret.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline Tin Horse

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10155 on: July 08, 2018, 09:41:52 AM »
I've milled some hemlock off my own property but have pretty much given up on it because of shack. There is a market but with low value here and milling loss it's not worth it. It mills OK but after sticking and cover it's no time and about 50% or more is junk. :(
I've just re-built a bridge crossing a 40' creek with 10"x 10" hemlock timbers for the base. Because of that I had it's a blend of new treated railroad ties; some white oak and hemlock. It'll interesting to see how it stands up.
I can only guess what some of you guys are thinking about this combination. ::)
For now it carries the Case 580 backhoe and anything it'll lift across it. 8)
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10156 on: July 08, 2018, 01:32:21 PM »
Pete,

No waves. Used a good sharp 4 degree doublehard blade. The whitewood is soft but the hard knots make me like the 4 degree blades. I do same thing with hemlock when I cut it. Good luck.
Howard Green

Offline dirtymartini

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10157 on: July 08, 2018, 08:05:38 PM »
More Cherry...If I'm not sure how thick I want to cut it can I just save the cant for later?

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #10158 on: July 08, 2018, 09:09:54 PM »
Don't see why not, just seal the ends and keep it up off the ground!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #10159 on: July 08, 2018, 09:12:28 PM »
Down here, a cherry cant will crack and check unless sawn quickly. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Sawmills and Milling

30 Replies
Last post May 22, 2018, 11:51:19 AM
by Crossroads
xx
Whatcha All think About This ??

Started by Fla._Deadheader on General Board

25 Replies
Last post June 28, 2005, 06:44:55 AM
by crtreedude