TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Whatcha Sawin' ???  (Read 1061205 times)

olcowhand, Cargibbs and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Whatcha Sawin' ???
« Reply #10160 on: July 08, 2018, 09:41:55 PM »
Got my new engine in the mill and adjusted late yesterday. This afternoon decided to start breaking it in.

Sawed up a couple of my own small logs and started on a custom job. Six logs all red and white oak 24”-30” diameter. Customer wants them all slabbed 2-1/2” thick, live edge. This one was the exception and measured 36” through the branch stub and the customer specified I saw it as shown. The TK will swallow 32” so I chain sawed off the branch so it measured 31-3/4”. The color and ray fleck were exceptional, but my picture taking skills failed and I didn't get it captured.

Think I could saw live edge slabs all day every day. No edging. I can't lift any of the slabs so the sawmill slides the slabs off onto the loading arms so the forklift can pick them up. My only exercise was pushing levers.

Four degree bands and I took it easy on the motor. Never got into the governor.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline dirtymartini

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10161 on: July 08, 2018, 09:43:05 PM »
Don't see why not, just seal the ends and keep it up off the ground!
What's best to use as a sealer? I know I have read about it on here before but can't remember the name.

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #10162 on: July 08, 2018, 09:44:54 PM »
Anchorseal.

I would saw asap. And I'd seal the logs first, also. Cherry doesn't like to sit around. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #10163 on: July 08, 2018, 09:49:18 PM »
   Agreed. I try to have my anchorseal ready to apply as soon as I buck the log. Ash is another on I find that checks quickly and badly at times.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #10164 on: July 08, 2018, 10:00:20 PM »
The surface cracking that was referred to will occur because the inner core of the cant will retain moisture/size and the outer surface will dry and shrink.  This is the same thing that happens with green fresh sawn cookies.  If the outside tries/needs to shrink and the inside can't, the outside cracks.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Clark

• Share Post
« Reply #10165 on: July 09, 2018, 02:07:38 PM »
I'm meeting the father in law on the 21st up at one of his properties in northern MI to look over his place there. He has about 1200 wooded acres he's owned since the 70s and hasn't had it cut. I've never seen the land but it sounds like a promising source for a steady supply of logs. I've talked to a couple crews that said they could log it and a guy that says he can haul it. I've been seriously stressing the supply issue and have been on the phone way too much trying to put all the pieces together.  I just want to stay at home in my own little happy place and make piles of lumber and sawdust. 
BB - I 100% recommend you don't enter into any sort of deal like you are talking about with any family member. I think there are good ways to use a family's timber as a source of logs but the few details you know and have shared indicate a situation where things could go sour very quickly.
Ultimately, your father-in-law's land could provide you logs to mill but that should only happen when he decides to have timber cut for his reasons and management purposes. If you drive the cutting of his property I will bet you a load of walnut he will tire of that arrangement.
My 2’
Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #10166 on: July 09, 2018, 10:27:03 PM »
There are many unknowns when hiring a logging crew, especially when the responsible party is not well experienced in the business. It could go great, it could go OK, it could be a nightmare and you are not 5 minutes down the road. Factor that potential into your relationship and ask how much you are willing to risk. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10167 on: July 10, 2018, 06:06:58 PM »
More pine slabs today
Did some 15' long for the first time
Then had a visitor for lunch :)
The snake ate the toad

thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #10168 on: July 10, 2018, 08:13:31 PM »
Bartops!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #10169 on: July 10, 2018, 08:56:45 PM »
My Jim, you are sawing out some very nice stuff.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #10170 on: July 10, 2018, 09:11:30 PM »
   Got out today and cut the 7 Paulownia "logs" my customer left me. I used a 1X12 and a 1X6 on top of the rails and a 3X6 as side supports and kept having to flip it from 3" to 6" side. Used 6" for first cut or two then when I had a flat surface and could clamp used the 3" side. Cut it all to 9/4 then edged random widths as the board provided. All total about 95 bf and 1.3 hours on the engine to do it. Most of the time was spent turning logs and clamping and such.

One of the 7 "logs"

Finished stack of 9/4 short boards waiting for customer to pick them up. I covered with the tin to the right of the picture.

I had the horse and mule in their stalls while sawing. Blackjack was ready to get out and roll when I let him out at the end of sawing.

Preparing his spot to roll

A happy mule

He's in there somewhere

Done and shaking the dust off.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline dirtymartini

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10171 on: July 10, 2018, 09:15:01 PM »
No sawing for a couple of days, I have been busy hauling free logs. I need to read up on timber framing, I would love to build a small barn/workshop with some of this EWP and Hemlock.

That is as high as I could lift this log...I drove the trailer out from underneath it.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #10172 on: July 10, 2018, 10:33:46 PM »
I am glad that you did not get a "hobby" sawmill.  smiley_thumbsup

Offline Just Right

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • JustRightSawing
« Reply #10173 on: July 11, 2018, 07:48:41 AM »
Bruno,  Those are some nice looking slabs.  I have customers interested in me sawing some pine slabs like that.  Just took down a huge pine that will do the trick.  What are you pricing your slabs at in your neck of the woods?  JR
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Offline Crossroads

• let’s make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #10174 on: July 11, 2018, 09:05:43 AM »
Spent yesterday milling some Doug fir, mostly cut 1x12 and 1x8, but also had 4-3x16x16” on the cut list as well as a few 2x6 and 2x8’s. I have 4 more easy logs to finish up this morning, then the last log is a monster 34” on the scale end and 16’ long. I’ve already made it clear that I can’t load it. Now he needs to decide how to buck it. The siding he needs has to be 9’ so, it’s not a matter of just making 2 8’s 🤔

2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #10175 on: July 11, 2018, 09:36:01 AM »
I have also seem much waste such as that when the log was bucked without regard to the cut list.  :-\  If the customer has a use for shorts, I will saw less than 8' but it is scaled as 8' or hourly rate.

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #10176 on: July 11, 2018, 04:52:32 PM »
Today's happy customer brought in a Norway maple and wanted some curved 2" planks and some curved 1" boards.
He got what he wanted and then some:

Dropped them twice while unloading the log, the second time was the worst. I hate when that happens.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #10177 on: July 11, 2018, 05:47:46 PM »
I hate it when that happens too!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline Crossroads

• let’s make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #10178 on: July 11, 2018, 07:58:37 PM »
Ended up bucking the monster long at 9’ from the scale end and leaving the rest. Once I put a tape on it, I just laughed, it was 48” on the butt! Then to top it off, it had ring shake all the way through. We had quite a bit of was because of the ring shake, but also salvaged a lot of good 1x12, 1x8 and 1x4’s.

2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #10179 on: July 11, 2018, 08:16:08 PM »
That is whackin'-n-stackin'.  smiley_thumbsup

I agree about the butt.  If it doesn't make the cut list there is no reason to "rassle" with it. ::)  Because of the new 24" diameter limit here many logs are being jump butted and the butt left in the woods.  :-\

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Sawmills and Milling

30 Replies
Last post May 22, 2018, 11:51:19 AM
by Crossroads
xx
Whatcha All think About This ??

Started by Fla._Deadheader on General Board

25 Replies
Last post June 28, 2005, 06:44:55 AM
by crtreedude