TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Whatcha Sawin' ???  (Read 1062939 times)

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Whatcha Sawin' ???
« Reply #10340 on: August 04, 2018, 08:55:19 AM »
Dawg
I like the syp  :)
I have one floor left to put down in my house. The master bedroom.
I have rustic yellow birch but haven't put it down yet.Had it 10 years.Its in my hall,kitchen and great room.
I would like some of that for my bedroom.
I have always liked the grain.
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #10341 on: August 04, 2018, 06:55:08 PM »
AGSMART Spindle Lubricant and Detergent Picksmart 4-1 Gallon - - Amazon.com

Is this stuff really $180/gallon?   Or is this 4 gallons?
Where do you buy it?

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT   2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker, hydraulics everywhere), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #10342 on: August 04, 2018, 08:08:44 PM »
From the link that I posted in Reply 10327.  Four gallons including shipping is less than $30.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #10343 on: August 04, 2018, 09:49:42 PM »
225-128 COTTON PICKER SPINDLE LUBE-1 GAL 128 - Quality Farm Supply

MM your link translates to Cotton Picker Spindle Lube, $4.86/gallon and $9/shipping per order.  Is this what I want?   Hope so, I just ordered 8 gallons.  

Tom the Sawyer reply #10323 writes that it is the cleaner, not the lube he uses. thanks
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT   2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker, hydraulics everywhere), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.

Offline Lawg Dawg

• True South Sawmill Lumber
    • Share Post
« Reply #10344 on: August 05, 2018, 07:19:13 AM »
225-128 COTTON PICKER SPINDLE LUBE-1 GAL 128 - Quality Farm Supply

MM your link translates to Cotton Picker Spindle Lube, $4.86/gallon and $9/shipping per order.  Is this what I want?   Hope so, I just ordered 8 gallons.  

Tom the Sawyer reply #10323 writes that it is the cleaner, not the lube he uses. thanks
That's the stuff!  I think you will be pleased! ;)
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc
John Deere 4000, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong.  100 acres of mostly trees!

True South Sawmill Lumber,  located  approximately 45 miles south of Charlotte, NC

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Offline grweldon

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Just Stuff! (my personal blog)
« Reply #10345 on: August 05, 2018, 07:55:57 PM »
Haven't posted in a while, but I'm still here!  I cut a couple of 2+ inch slabs off this spalted red oak today.  Beautiful!

Timberking 1400, Ford 3910 Tractor, John Deere 350B Crawler/Loader

Offline Busysawyer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10346 on: August 05, 2018, 08:21:20 PM »
@grweldon . What species oak is that? I've cut quite a bit of oak but none any where near that dark.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10347 on: August 05, 2018, 08:47:56 PM »
I've sawed three days using the spindle lube cleaner. Keeps the blade clean with no noticeable undesirable side effects. Lots of products can keep the blade clean, but all have a down side.

I've noticed three good things with the spindle cleaner that I wasn't expecting. In the past my sawdust chute sometimes clogs, especially with a heavy water flow. The chute has not clogged once using the cleaner. Today it looked as clean when I quit as when I started. The second thing is my track rail on the outfeed side sometimes gets packed sawdust on it. Not so with the cleaner. Shiny clean at the end of the day. The third thing is I use less water, about two thirds less.

So thank you yellowhammer for the idea, and Magicman for finding someplace for us living outside the cotton belt to buy the stuff at a reasonable price.

And today's lumber, quarter sawed white oak.

My guess is grweldon's spalted red oak may not be spalt, but the natural color of blackjack oak which is in the red oak family.  Send me that beautiful second board so I can tell for sure. ;D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #10348 on: August 05, 2018, 09:34:20 PM »
I have seen that in laurel oak before, a bottomland species.  I believe that some of that color is caused by bacterial infection.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #10349 on: August 05, 2018, 10:05:22 PM »
Danny,

How sound is the bacteria infected wood?

I had a first today - went to an event 60 miles away and took a bunch of benches and assorted wood products for sale. The sales indicate it was actually a bust financially unless it produces some future sales. One HVAC guy was excited about the wood banded Spruce Mantel I took as a sample and indicated he installs and has been looking for a source for mantels and would be calling in the future. We will see if that happens. I hear lots of people say the same thing - sometimes it pans out, sometimes not. At the end of the day I checked out and the event coordinator asked me about sawing some pines for them. I think they are young folks trying to nearly live off the grid and short on cash. She offered to swap me pork for sawing. They raise pigs. I told her I would actually consider but they are 60 miles away. I gave her the name of a contact about 15-20 miles away with better equipment and prices than me. I also told her he has 7 kids and might be interested or not but in any case he would not be offended at the offer. I told her if it did not pan out to call me back. Another old lady I later heard owns a big old historical building I passed in the way in fell in love with a set of primitive, mortise & tenon style, curved chestnut oak benches I have been trying to sell as a set thinking they are perfect to sit around a fire pit. She thought they would be a good fit around a tree she has. We will see if she calls back. Stranger things have happened.

These are the curved benches - overpriced for most customers in my area but somewhere there is a deep pockets customer even in my remote area.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #10350 on: August 05, 2018, 10:15:41 PM »
Howard,

That that (Tom) I have cut has been green logs and the wood is sound, just discolored from the normal color.  It can be quite beautiful.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #10351 on: August 06, 2018, 12:14:23 AM »
Larry, Iím glad the spindle cleaner is working well and nice looking QS boards. 8) The ability to saw drier, yet keeping the bands clean pays off in many ways, as you know.  If nothing else, not having to scrape sawdust off boards is big for me.  Also, having nice oiled bands that I can sharpen with no rust or pitch to clean off makes that easier, also.  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline grweldon

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10352 on: August 07, 2018, 12:59:05 PM »
It's a red oak. Grew behind my house until the city cut it down. I got the log and it sat outside in the weather for 18+ months. I assumed the spalting has turned it dark?

Offline grweldon

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10353 on: August 07, 2018, 01:04:14 PM »
I have both laurel and blackjack oak at the farm but this came from the house, 30 miles away.  It is possible that it is a laurel but it isn't a blackjack for sure.

Offline Lawg Dawg

• Share Post
« Reply #10354 on: August 07, 2018, 08:38:53 PM »
Tree Service Logs!  :snowball:

Some 24" diameter pine logs. Some White oak, poplar, and everyone's favorite SWEET GUM! Couldn't pass up the deal, wish me luck :D. I think I'll make live edge Mantels out of most of it...Holidays are coming!  :christmas: :christmas: :christmas: :christmas:
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc
John Deere 4000, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong.  100 acres of mostly trees!

True South Sawmill Lumber,  located  approximately 45 miles south of Charlotte, NC

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #10355 on: August 07, 2018, 08:42:50 PM »
You don't need any luck.  Looks like you already have it all.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Lawg Dawg

• Share Post
« Reply #10356 on: August 08, 2018, 07:10:54 PM »
Some of them big yard pines...luckily didn't find any hardware  8)

1x8x10

2 - 8" cants free of heart

Got an order for 150 of them to got out by Saturday...Thankful for plenty of work :)

Also had a good phone conversation with BusySawer the other day, good to talk to other GoGetters
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Offline Busysawyer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10357 on: August 09, 2018, 06:59:19 PM »
It was nice talking to you LD . Been grade sawing walnut mostly but took some slabs off this big nasty log today. 

Ld, you have any tips for clamping wide slabs? My mill has 35 1/2 in between guides but the clamp only goes out to 26 1/2in . When I slabbed that log I cut down 3/4 of the way then I needed to move my clamp and stops down so I flipped 180 and my clamp wouldn't go out far enough. Besides making a small face opening then flip 180 . Clamp and stops low and cut to the deck is there a better way?
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Offline Lawg Dawg

• Share Post
« Reply #10358 on: August 09, 2018, 07:27:40 PM »
Try cutting down about a third of the way, then flip 180 and let the weight of the log hold itself down.  Leave the slabs stacked up on themselves till you've got them all sawed.  ;)
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Offline jb616

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10359 on: August 10, 2018, 01:23:33 PM »

Hickory, Elm, Cherry, and White Oak. I haven't sawn Pine at all yet. All Hardwoods.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Sawmills and Milling

30 Replies
Last post May 22, 2018, 11:51:19 AM
by Crossroads
xx
Whatcha All think About This ??

Started by Fla._Deadheader on General Board

25 Replies
Last post June 28, 2005, 06:44:55 AM
by crtreedude