iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Tex

Mantel Day today.  cut 4 mantles for two different customers that dropped off logs.

1.  Pine:  11½ x 8¼ x 6ft
2.  Pine:  12"  x  9½  x 6ft  -  live edge
3.  Cedar:  "Quartered Look" - two

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Peter Drouin

Sawyer ted, why would have to use the chain thing with a loader like that on the job?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SawyerTed

Peter, i understand why you are asking.  I got the log loaded on the mill but it had a little sweep and it was too heavy to roll the last little bit with a cant hook.  I just needed it to roll a quarter turn-just far enough for the clamp to catch it.  

I'm a little hesitant to use the big loader to load logs.  My skills with it aren't real good yet.  I've only been using it a couple of weeks.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

I like those mantels Lance and I really like the ERC ones.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

looks a little tight to the header of the building too. One mistake with the loader will not be good for the mill. :D ;)
I use the loader on the mill to load logs. The only time I put a log on the mill with the Cat is when I'm over 20'.

But, I'm going to start using straps to [set] the log on instead of rolling it on.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

caveman

SawyerTed, you did not catch that snook (racing mullet) in NC did you?  It has been too wet to saw here.  Sawn boards would mold within hours.

Caveman

Magicman

Almost looks like water on the ground. ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dustintheblood

Quote from: Bruno of NH on August 28, 2018, 08:07:32 PM
We had 100° with the heat index in NH today.
Milled till noon then cut firewood.
Falls coming  :)
Up here in Canada we start doing firewood on the 20th of July and don't stop until the 19th of July.
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

caveman

Lynn, That is water on the ground and it has been there for about six weeks.  I caught a crawdad walking around outside my shop on Saturday morning.  We have had tadpoles swimming across the driveway for weeks.  I am not complaining because we have dealt with dry times in the past but it has been damp here lately.
Caveman

YellowHammer

That's a lot of water, enough for the logs to float off.  :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Brad_bb

I haven't sawn it yet, but I think this Cherry is going to be a good 'un!  It's about 14 at the small end if I remember right.  I could make some timberframe braces or?

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerTed

Quote from: caveman on August 29, 2018, 09:52:24 PM
SawyerTed, you did not catch that snook (racing mullet) in NC did you?  It has been too wet to saw here.  Sawn boards would mold within hours.

The snook came from St Lucie Inlet 
It was wet in Salerno. We fished three days between rain storms. It was really wet there too!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Water Dogs

Got a call form a tree guy free logs just haul them off he will load them. I hate to see them go to the shredder did see some nails that so all will be scanned.

MobileSawMilSlo

Hi guys

On Wednesday I change rollers and did full re-alignment of the sawmill ... blade wheels, complete head, without rollers, with rollers etc.

Yesterday I did the test and I tool old dry spruce and cut several 4mm and 2mm slices.

It looks that alignment is OK and everything has been done right.

Woodmizer LT20 mobile and TTP-600 Premium Plus
DAJK - all sawing equipment in one place

Magicman

Yes it gives you a good feeling and is also a confidence builder when everything checks out. smiley_thumbsup

My today was nothing but Honey Locust, yes the thorny kind. :o

Turned out some purdy stuff.

More.  :)

Sawed a live edge/face mantel.  This may be the first time that I have taken an inch off of the bottom.

Say What??  :o  OK, load it up.

About 6 cookies off of the top fork before we got into the "log".  :)

Kinda nice cookies.  I brought two of them home with me.  :)

We also got these 9 live edged slabs.

And they were very nice.

Stacks of 1X8 & 1X10 Honey Locust plus live edged slabs and table legs.

One of the two Honey Locust slabs that he gave me for benches.

I thought that we would finish today but he "found" some Red Oak logs for Tuesday.

Busysawyer

Sawin up some firewood today.  Rented this bad boy for the holiday weekend. No rest this weekend for me.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Magicman

Dat's a serious machine. :o

Busysawyer

Mm, it works pretty darn well. Ran that pile you see in that pic in about 3 hours by myself.  It took a little bit to get used to the controls but after that it went pretty fast. Been thinking about renting it for awhile now, called them this morning and asked if they'd be willing to give me a deal on it over the holiday weekend and they obliged. 
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Lawg Dawg

RRRQSWO

load the log

Start de-slabbing it keeping the pith in line

Start pushing the half up and over the backstops and pulling down with the clamp at the same time, its tricky but doable

Find the embeded hardware

Lots of edging on the mill with no edger

Beautiful results! I'm hooked on this method! 8)

Here comes more WO!  :)

Oh yeah, I anchorseal after the boards are cut, so you can see the rings, thanks Yellowhammer for inventing this method!

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Magicman

Looks like you were hitting the mark quite well.  8)

Southside

Dawg - a little silicone and that hardware will buff right out.... :D  :D  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

trapper

Got a call today fellow 25 miles away  I was recommended by a large lumber company whose rep I talked with at a trappers convention.  Customer had logs sawn before and sawyer cut everything live edge.  Customer wanted everything edged. He told me will not use that sawyer again.  told him I will cut whatever he wants. This year is the busiest I have been just being mostly A hobby sawyer.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

WDH

Dawg,

You need an edger :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Magicman on August 31, 2018, 10:41:00 PM
Looks like you were hitting the mark quite well.  8)
I think I did pretty good! Thanks
Quote from: Southside logger on August 31, 2018, 11:00:12 PM
Dawg - a little silicone and that hardware will buff right out.... :D  :D  :D
I like to spray my fresh cut lumber with this stuff...keeps the bugs out of it! :D

Quote from: WDH on September 01, 2018, 07:51:04 AM
Dawg,

You need an edger :).  

I sure do, but I can't get any more equipment till I get more ROOF!  Know what I mean :D
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Thank You Sponsors!