iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carpenter/Roofer...Help! Need 35 degree roof...I need a clue....bewildered here

Started by julesfl, December 30, 2014, 05:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

julesfl

Hello, Merry Christmas!  I have researched, watched Utube videos, and self- taught myself on building this Solar kiln.  Now, I have hit a "wall" ha, ha, ha.  I am now trying to figure out, how to build the roof at a 35 degree angle.  I have read about pitch, span, unit of run, hypotho's theory.  I am not building a house.  I just need a short, simple explanation.  I am using 2 x 4's.  Any and all ideas, experiences, knowledge, will be greatly, immensely, so appreciated!   

beenthere

Do you have a protractor?

Or use an internet site like this one.
http://www.blocklayer.com/riserun.aspx

Plug in the angle of 35° and the "run", and it will give you the "rise", or the height of the wall.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

julesfl

Thank you Beenthere.   Let's pretend I am an alien who is asking this question (which I have been told by my co-workers that I am).  And one is teaching in " room 101", in building a 35 degree angled roof.  The alien replys, ohh, yes...pitch, angle and slope calculation, and whipping out their protractor, Oh, Karumba, I still don't get it.  They walk away whittling on their 2 x 4, saying , I must be able to make a notch...a notch...just maybe, skipping off into the sunset, whittling away......

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don_Papenburg

Yep ,  more precise Swanson's Speed Square

If you have any length to the roof I would keep the 2x4s for the next wall.

To make fast calculations try a construction master 5  calculator.
35*=70.02075 %grade    , 0.583183 slope ,    8 3/8 pitch
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

thechknhwk

Figure your pitch with a right angle triangle calculator.

http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calrtri.htm

On this particular one "a" is your rise and "b" is your run, so like a 4/12 pitch is 4" of rise for every 12" of run and yields an angle of 18.4 deg.  Looks like you need between an 8/12 and 9/12 pitch.  Cutting the top of the rafter (highest side) on this shed type roof at the 8 or 9/12 will give you ends that are parallel to your outside wall or "plumb".  Now you need to figure the birds mouth cut on the low side of the roof and how much higher the wall on the high side of the building needs to be to obtain the desired roof angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr4NwLx_ctk

r.man

Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

pineywoods

On a solar kiln I'd just make everything 45 degrees and don't worry about it. Garontee you can't tell the difference. Every dimension on a solar kiln is a compromise in one way or another.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

julesfl

Piney, thanks for the advice.  But I really am at a latitude of 27 degrees, and adding 10 for winter, and just evening it out..to 35 degrees.  If you really think it doesn''t matter, then that would be a lot easier.  I wanted it to be correct, so that's why I went 35 degrees.

I want to thank everyone for their input and expertise on how to get this roof done correctly.  I didn't realize what skills are involved with roofing!  What I have read is that it is the most difficult part of framing, when it comes to building a house.   All I want for Christmas is a roofer.  Oh, wait that would be a year from now. 
Thanks again, everyone for your help!
Jules

Gary_C

The angle of the sun changes every day from summer to winter so for any location any fixed angle is only going to be "correct" for two days each year. So being close to the midpoint is good enough.

Or you can put those panels on a movable mount and adjust the angle daily or better yet get a tracking mechanism and follow the sun every day. I understand you do not gain much from from the precision tracking.

So bottom line is, close is good enough.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Remle

julesfl
A 35.31 degree angle is formed with a run of 8.5" and a rise of 12". Build the kiln floor to your width of choice, then measure it's width in inches, divide that measurement by the 8.5" run, then multiply the answer by the rise 12". The resulting number is the additional height that you need to add to the short to make the tall wall. Build both tall and short walls, set them braced up plumb on the floor. Take your rafter and hold it on top of the walls, mark a plumb line on the inside of the tall wall and the outside of the short wall face of the rafter. With the rafter in the same location take a piece of 2X4 placed on top of both walls and mark the top surface of the piece. This will form the bird's mouths for the rafter to set on the walls. Cut out the bird's mouths and use this as a pattern to mark the required number of rafters for your project.. one additional note: if you are using 2X4 for rafters the bird's mouth should not cut more than 1/3 the width of the 2X4 or it's strength may be compromised and you need to use a taller rafter. Good luck with your build. Yes guy's, I know the 45 degree roof would work, but why not give him the roof slope he asked for ??

John Mc

If you aren't hung up on the exact 35˚ slope, consider making your roof an 8:12 pitch (8" rise for every 12" of run). That's a standard roof pitch, and comes out to roughly 34˚ (I install PV modules for one of my jobs - the difference in solar performance will not be measurable). 

The suggestion of getting a speed square is a good one. You can get one at just about any hardware store. They often come with directions for use, but it's pretty simple - they already have markings on them for doing various roof pitches, which makes cutting the angles on rafters or birds-mouth cuts much quicker. You just line of the square on the 8-pitch mark and draw the line.

BTW... if you don't know what a birdsmouth is, google "birdsmouth rafter" for some pictures and youtube videos. Basically, it lets the rafter sit "nicely" on top of the wall that supports it

Do you plan to dry year-round, or mostly in one season of the year?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Just Me

35 degrees is a 7/12 pitch or close enough. Just framed one. Plumb cuts came out 34.something.

John Mc

Are you sure that wasn't an 8:12 pitch you were building?
7:12 comes out to 30˚.
8:12 pitch comes out to just under 34˚
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Just Me

Maybe it was 30, beer thirty.......

My house is 7 my garage is 8, so you see my defugalty.

Thank You Sponsors!