iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jan "Pete" R Altman

Started by Jeff, December 31, 2014, 03:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

a few forum friends had helped me with this earlier in the year, but I'm hoping that they, and many more can help me once again.  Its a simple thing. Just sending out a card or a note to someone that really means the world to me. He is a friend of the forum. Many of you have met him at Pig roasts, or on our infamous ATV trip in 2007.

Since I was 15 years old, my brother in law Pete (real first name is Jan) has also my brother and my best friend. This summer he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. He has went through two months of chemo and radiation leading up to surgery yesterday at the University of Michigan Cancer center where they removed the tumor and his entire esophagus. They were able to use the parts of his stomach that they deemed to be cancer free to recreate his esophagus.  As of today, he is stable but in tough shape after a 7 hour surgery yesterday. He has a long road ahead of him to get well. Probably two weeks before he can even leave the hospital.  While he was going through chemo and radiation he stayed in Westland near Detroit with my Sister's daughter to be closer to the cancer center as radiation was everyday for 6 weeks and Ann arbor is 3 hours from Pete's home.  I drove down to ann arbor yesterday morning and was able to see Pete before he went in. My Sister mentioned to me after he went in, how Pete was so thrilled, every time he got a card from a forum member. To see what they had to say, and where the card came from. It was one of his bright spots during that time.

If Pete ever needed some bright spots, it is going to be in the days ahead, and I am hoping that the Forestry Forum will help flood his days with things to take his mind off of what he is going through. I really would be most appreciative if you could send him a note or a card to let him know we are thinking about him. I've created a page that you can only see if you are a member to get the address so it is not out there on the internet, as it is not his address, but that of my nieces. We can send his mail there again while he is in the hospital, and he and my Sister will be living there after for a period until the Doctors deem him well enough to go on home.

Thank you. I appreciate the help.
Jeff
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=address
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Will happily do that for Pete.
Wishing him the best in these real tough times, and prayers for him and his helping family as well.

I remember seeing Pete in a tough spot before, and here's to ya getting out of another one. smiley_thumbsup

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MrPete

Sure, anything for a fellow forum member.  Thoughts and prayers here for a great recovery but also to all of your family Jeff.  Things like this taking place in the family affects the whole family and friend network.  Godspeed to Pete!

WmFritz

Great picture BT. Is that a dry suit Pete's wearing under that flannel?  ;D

Pete gave me a sample of a secret receipe mineral mix for deer he makes at the '13 PR. They ate it up like candy and I need some more.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

beenthere

QuoteIs that a dry suit Pete's wearing under that flannel?

For sure it is a wet suit... to the skin.  And he wasn't the only one with a wet suit.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

goose63

A card will be on the way Friday hope he gets better soon
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

47sawdust

Jeff,
I'll send a card in Friday's mail.Best wishes for a full recovery.
Your a good man,best regards.
47sawdust
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Chuck White

Just as quick as I can get to town again Jeff!

Our thoughts and prayers are with Pete and the rest of the family too.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandhills

Thanks Jeff, I've never had the pleasure to meet Pete but a card will be on the way.

timberlinetree

We will send a card this weekend. Does he need anything else like books,magazine,etc? Our thought   & prays are with Pete and his family.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Reddog

Gave the Mrs's a note to please pick me up a some cards.

Give Pete and Linda our best in the mean time.
And thoughts to Jeff and your family as these things emotionally affect everyone around the person.

thecfarm

Simple thing is right. Glad to help. We all will have something wrong with us someday too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawyerBrown

Good idea Jeff!  Will get something out today if I can find a card, tomorrow at the latest
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

luvmexfood

Never met him but will get one next trip to town. Jeff how many forum members? I think a good goal would be for a thousand cards. Imagine that many taped on a hospital wall.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

SawyerBrown

luvmexfood has thrown out the challenge of 1000 cards from the FF for Jeff's BIL Pete, who is recovering from esophagus cancer, to blanket his hospital wall(s) and keep his mind occupied.  (See "A Small Request ..." at the top of the page).  What do you think, ladies and gentlemen, can we do it?
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

sandhills

Lazy logger

I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

SawyerBrown

Well, were 0.3% of the way there already!  That's better than the interest I'm earning on may savings account!   ::)

Andries

I'll be mailing a card this PM, it's a small gesture of support for the FF Family!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Roxie

Say when

Corley5

Got a card for Pete last night.  It'll go out Monday
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Caloren

Card, and prayers, sent.
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

Jeff

This weekend they were able to remove some of the tubes from Pete. He has had a feeding tube since September when the tumor had closed everything off that has fed and hydrated him. He still has the feeding tube, but for the first time in almost 4 months, he was able to actually drink a small amount of apple juice and some water. Tomorrow they will do a Barium swallow test and a scan to examine the work they did, basically check for leaks, and if all checks out, they may begin to introduce soft foods (jello like).  8)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sandhills

Great news, "since September" is an awful long time for anything!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The medical field is really amazing to be able to do procedures like Pete's.
I'd say a miracle.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!