iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Assistance with lean-to rafters attaching to shed

Started by BCsaw, January 15, 2015, 10:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCsaw

Hey everybody. I am putting up my wood shop this spring. It is a variation of the Sobon shed.

My dilemma is the attachment of the rafters of the lean-to addition to the shop frame. I seen a post of one member who had a drawing of a similar idea, but could not make out the joinery for the rafters.

The wood shop will measure 14' x 24'. The lean-to addition is 10' x 24'.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Brian_Weekley

I added a lean-to on my Sobon shed.  In my case, the shed rafters were cut at the appropriate angle to sit against the main rafters.  On the bottom, there were bird's mouth rafter seats in the plate.  On the top, no joinery was necessary other than few long timber-lock screws to attach the shed rafters to the main rafters.

e aho laula

BCsaw

Awesome. I knew that I could get an answer here. Your the man Brian.

Next question. How do you join the metal roofing at the transition from the shed roof onto the lean-to roof?

Thanks for the pics! ;D Nice shed, by the way! ;D

Brian_Weekley

I have a very elaborate, wrap-and-strap insulated roof.  You can see my design here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DclbGgw1GqE

But as far as putting the metal down and dealing with the transition from the shed-to-main roof, that is fairly easy.  Just study the instruction manual for the roofing you are going to use.  They typically provide very detailed drawings for all the trim options.  You tell them the angle and they will bend the transition flashing to fit.  I'm a really big fan of the "5V style" metal roofing for it's old, traditional look that was very common on agriculture buildings.  For my roof, this was the transition diagram:

e aho laula

BCsaw

You are right. Very simple for the transition of the roofing.

Thank you for your help. Very much appreciated. ;D ;D

Dave Shepard

I did something similar on a Dutch house frame. We used 6" HeadLok screws down through the rafters into the plate.

Brian, isn't that a step lapped rafter seat on the addition plate?

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 16, 2015, 08:34:19 AM

Brian, isn't that a step lapped rafter seat on the addition plate?

Absolutely.  Dave, you are correct!  I was almost asleep...    ::)
e aho laula

BCsaw

Thank You Sponsors!