iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how long do you run your skidder tires and chains before replacement ?

Started by Polish Hammer, January 18, 2015, 07:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polish Hammer

Cat 322c fmhw with waratah 622, Komatsu PC200-7 FM with waratah 622b, Timberjack 450b grapple, timberjack 660c grapple, Tigercat 630c grapple, John Deere 853j Buncher, echo saws

lopet

Welcome aboard Polish Hammer.
Just click on your photo scroll down and click on " insert image in post " !   You did the hard part already.

Chains don't look that bad. So  what you're worried about ?  Working more in mud or ice and snow ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Ed_K

I have one front tire like your rear one and the other is 25% rears are 60% i've been running them for 14 yrs now my chains where like your bear paws,when I got the skidder and their now down to 30% on the corks.Ice chains on back are 6yrs old and still look new. I think you'll see more wear on the chains depending on what the land is like.
Ed K

Polish Hammer

Thanks for the help with adding the pics Lopet, lol, still wont show up i have a bad internet connection at the moment maybe thats why. Im cutting up in northen ontario lots of rock, snow and ice, then mud season in spring. i dont have a spare and really dont want to pay for a service call to replace the tire in the woods.
ED do you run a grapple ?
Cat 322c fmhw with waratah 622, Komatsu PC200-7 FM with waratah 622b, Timberjack 450b grapple, timberjack 660c grapple, Tigercat 630c grapple, John Deere 853j Buncher, echo saws

lopet

It will pay for having a spare around especially when you have a lot of work lined up.  Don't need to be fancy, just a tire who holds air with a old set of chains on it. It will do the trick until you have your flat fixed. But if you have $$$ sitting in your bank account doing nothing, that would be a different story. ;D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Ed_K

Ed K

Polish Hammer

I have a brand new set of 20 ply log stompers but there 24.5 32. I bought them for my 240e cable but never used the machine much anymore now that I have the grapple. i guess i could just put the smaller tires on the 450, i think that was the standard size from factory, 30.5 was an option  i shouldnt loose that much ground clearance. I dont know about pay load on smaller tires. what type of chains last the longest on hard stuff ?

cutter88

Tires I run untill they get cuts and pinch the tube or won't hold air then scrap chains I run untill there's more clevisis then links haha
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Polish Hammer

Ed_K

Ed K

tj240

hammer,  the only difference between the 24.5 and the 30.5 is the width, same ground clearance they are both 32" tires. good luck on the job.
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

coxy

I run my tires till they fall off     chains go till I run out of clevises I have bought 200 every year for the last 4years at Boonville im good for awhile

Polish Hammer

Quote from: tj240 on January 19, 2015, 05:28:09 PM
hammer,  the only difference between the 24.5 and the 30.5 is the width, same ground clearance they are both 32" tires. good luck on the job.

32 is the rim size. 30.5 32 tires give me 35.5 inches of ground clearance, and are wider over all (125 inches.) 24.5 32 tires give me 23.8 inches of ground clearance and are 119 inches over all width. Both tire sizes give me the same wheel track of 94 inches.

30.5 32 on 450

240e with 24.5 32

Autocar

I have 24.5 x 32's on my skidder and at $3300.00 a tire I will run mine till there flat then kick myself that I didn't do something before this   :D
Bill

Spartan

Geeze, those are in awesome condition compared to mine.  I have flat spots worn in my chains and the tires are pretty much gone.  One thing that will help you tremendously for keeping your chains from wearing and giving you better bite is welding some grouser bar (or bolts if you want to be cheap) on those cleats of yours.  build em up.  you can tell when they get worn and too low the rest of your chain will start to wear.  I work around a tone of rock so I break chains pretty regularly.  just repair them with a clevis.  but, just make sure you check them every once in a while cause the terrain can squish them closer together and your pin can come loose and back out. 

HiTech

I often thought if a person had the time to hard surface all the wear points on a new set of chains they would last forever. I have seen some that have had wear points hard surfaced and they show no wear. A mig welder and a spool of hard surfacing wire and lots of time and you would be good to go.

HiTech

The two schools of thought; "If it isn't broke, fix it till it is" and "Don't fix it till it is broke". lol

HiTech

I have seen tires so wore that in cold and snow the tire will spin inside the chain. You have to keep these a little tighter. lol I looked at your pics and they seem to have a lot of life left in them.

Thank You Sponsors!