AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: couple pics... post what your currently cutting  (Read 361920 times)

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: couple pics... post what your currently cutting
« Reply #3060 on: October 27, 2018, 11:01:02 PM »
Longtime, yeah we have self loader trucks, but not that would load those sticks! I always find it interesting how all the different areas represented here get the wood out. Adapting to local conditions, economies and situations to get the job done. For instance, I see a lot of North American long nose trucks in pictures from Oz, it seems like the rest of the world is running the nerdy looking (IMO) cabover trucks. And then you Aussies are pulling like 20 trailers😁
We have a lot of country up here thats got plenty trees but not many logs, with odd pockets where there is millable timber in sufficient density to be viable. The industry average number is that its viable for a mill to haul single 24 ton trailer loads to a max of 100 miles, but you pull two trailers and you can double that, three and you can triple it. I've seen a guy pulling triple skels and he'd be doing 28 ton of payload to the trailer for a gross combination mass of 120 + ton. Takes a while to get her moving, and you dont want to be trying to stop it in a hurry. I suspect road trains were why they designed the 18 speed roadranger,  we needed all the lows of a 15 to get started and then every hill made you want the top box of a 13 :D
Lot of bad roads up here... you want that bonneted truck ride, and whats a few extra feet when you've got three trailers anyway right? But an aussie built kenworth/mack/star is a whole different beast to a US spec truck.... double or triple chassis rails, lower diff ratios, bigger radiators, beefed up suspension. Air bags make a difference - those old SSHD's or camelbacks would shake the teeth clean out of your head.
Id always loved to bring up one of your guys self loading and unloading skeleton trailers that design is brilliant.
Yeah, we're a global industry. We come up with ideas and designs to suit one area and some jump continents because they work somewhere else, and some don't.

Don't show Barge.... hes trailer shopping right now. :D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3061 on: October 27, 2018, 11:59:00 PM »

The day SWIFT starts pulling those mega poles or triples i am turning in my license and staying off the road!  
No kidding!
Too many irons in the fire

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3062 on: October 28, 2018, 12:03:52 AM »
Longtime, yeah we have self loader trucks, but not that would load those sticks! I always find it interesting how all the different areas represented here get the wood out. Adapting to local conditions, economies and situations to get the job done. For instance, I see a lot of North American long nose trucks in pictures from Oz, it seems like the rest of the world is running the nerdy looking (IMO) cabover trucks. And then you Aussies are pulling like 20 trailers😁
We have a lot of country up here thats got plenty trees but not many logs, with odd pockets where there is millable timber in sufficient density to be viable. The industry average number is that its viable for a mill to haul single 24 ton trailer loads to a max of 100 miles, but you pull two trailers and you can double that, three and you can triple it. I've seen a guy pulling triple skels and he'd be doing 28 ton of payload to the trailer for a gross combination mass of 120 + ton. Takes a while to get her moving, and you dont want to be trying to stop it in a hurry. I suspect road trains were why they designed the 18 speed roadranger,  we needed all the lows of a 15 to get started and then every hill made you want the top box of a 13 :D
Lot of bad roads up here... you want that bonneted truck ride, and whats a few extra feet when you've got three trailers anyway right? But an aussie built kenworth/mack/star is a whole different beast to a US spec truck.... double or triple chassis rails, lower diff ratios, bigger radiators, beefed up suspension. Air bags make a difference - those old SSHD's or camelbacks would shake the teeth clean out of your head.
Id always loved to bring up one of your guys self loading and unloading skeleton trailers that design is brilliant.
Yeah, we're a global industry. We come up with ideas and designs to suit one area and some jump continents because they work somewhere else, and some don't.

Don't show Barge.... hes trailer shopping right now. :D
I saw the picture 🤣 wish we could attempt something like that around here. 

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3063 on: November 02, 2018, 04:33:13 AM »
Out of the dryland forest and into the jungle... or frying pan to fire would be a good analogy. Different climate, different species, different gear... I've gone from felling off a quadbike with a 26" bar being chased by a 380 Jack to humping a 36" bar around a mountain trying to drop them into places accessible enough for dozer to get at. 
Same industry - wouldnt be 200 mile in a straight line from the last place - totally different ballgame. I'll get some more pics because this is a completely different operation to "normal" lumber harvesting operations that most are familiar with.

Last load out of the week - all the dregs and shorts to clear the landing for next week.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #3064 on: November 02, 2018, 06:38:20 AM »
Nice "dregs" there Longtimer.  Can't wait to see the pictures of the wet side of the hill.  How far from Brisbane are you cutting?  Only spent a few weeks in Australia and never too far north.  We lived in Thailand so we went to get away from the heat, headed south and over to Tasmania (great).   
Liking Walnut

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3065 on: November 02, 2018, 09:42:20 AM »
Closest big spot on the map is Cairns, so same state as Brisbane but about 1100 miles north, and probably closer 1300 in the dryland forest.  We're in the tropics, same distance from the equator more or less as Thailand  so you know the drill... I'm either in the hot wet jungle parts or the hot dry open forest and the only difference is whether the 3 + gallons of water you sweat a day leaves your shirt wet or dry. :D

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #3066 on: November 02, 2018, 10:46:10 PM »
200 from Cairns, wowza you are far north.  Isn't that far north of your normal range or am I mistaken?  Send pictures when you get it going on the new site.
Liking Walnut

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #3067 on: November 03, 2018, 08:09:06 AM »
I'm either in the hot wet jungle parts or the hot dry open forest and the only difference is whether the 3 + gallons of water you sweat a day leaves your shirt wet or dry.

Tell me about it!! It's horrible and i think i will never get use to it. 15years in Costa Rica and still sweating like a horse.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3068 on: November 03, 2018, 12:32:34 PM »
That hot tropical weather has zero appeal to me!👎

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3069 on: November 03, 2018, 01:26:24 PM »
That hot tropical weather has zero appeal to me!👎
Might be like Arizona its nice to visit if where you live is cold or wet most of the year.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3070 on: November 03, 2018, 01:30:13 PM »
Yeah Arizona is nice in the winter. I've found I can tolerate the dry western heat just fine, our hot humid summers kill me. I spent many summers on an asphalt paving crew working 12-14 hour days, I really think it sapped my heat tolerance. Or I'm just getting old😁

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3071 on: November 03, 2018, 01:43:50 PM »
 It's so wet this yr, I'm going to make it but I'm pretty sure the banks  are going to own some cheap iron come spring. Bury concrete trucks, dump trucks, it's getting nuts. 

Iron on 3 jobs but it's working out ok. Doing everything I can to make sure I DON'T run out of wood, 🤣 supplying my competions competitor with 2 triaxles a week just to get the point across. 

Tomorrow it's got to happen, D6 will fix it come cold weather unfortunately. 

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #3072 on: November 03, 2018, 01:51:00 PM »
Barge,

Are you gonna have  your own TV show, Swamp Logger(s) North???
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3073 on: November 03, 2018, 06:59:55 PM »
If you heard the trash talk between a couple local loggers here you would think a show would fly. 🤣 My oldest cousin owns a logging company / sawmill in WY, my other cousin works for Wagner and literally down the road from me, I'm working for a buyer who is trying to outbid them so it's not making us friends 🤣  I keep joking with some of my help that I'm buying the place next door and opening a bar / strip club so they have some place to work when they blow thru their paycheck. 

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3074 on: November 03, 2018, 08:03:11 PM »
You could call it the dirty logger with a neon sign caulk boots allowed.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3075 on: November 10, 2018, 07:55:28 PM »
 It's to early for snow. 

Or better yet mud.... This job is wet to begin with and the rain doesnt stop. 

Out walking / buying good wood today. 

I just shake my head, the people pick up 3-4 bags and 1 bag of kindling like it's nothing. 

Offline Oliver05262

• Share Post
« Reply #3076 on: November 10, 2018, 08:29:18 PM »
  I am dumbfounded at what people will pay for wrapped firewood. I know it's kiln-dried, bug-free, convenient, and clean......BUT...........$5.95 for a package marked .75 cu/ft (at Aubuchon's) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"You can't do wrong by doing good"

It's OK to cry.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3077 on: November 10, 2018, 09:56:43 PM »
I saw a local customer get 4 bags, 2 bundles and 2 bags of kindling the other day, I went out and told them I could drop a cord off ??? Nope, just up for the weekend and wanted something for the fireplace 😂 My customer base here is mostly out of NYC, I've got someone who wants me to do bundles / bags and he wants to sell them at his place on the E-LI, without doing a fair amount of work to my kiln it's a pain to get a USDA stamp because we dont run it high enough and honestly I dont have the help. I'm getting 5.99 for bags which are 1cuft+, 4.99 for 3/4 bundle and 4.50 for "Kindling" which falls out of the tumbler 🤣 

Offline Cub

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3078 on: November 11, 2018, 03:53:26 PM »

Nice basswood  
 Butt log junk but the rest is good

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First post and a couple of questions

Started by peter nap on Ask The Forester

20 Replies
Last post December 05, 2007, 06:24:18 PM
by Jeff
xx
first post and a couple of questions

Started by billy_wizz on Timber Framing/Log construction

8 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 10:18:25 AM
by Heartwood