The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: couple pics... post what your currently cutting  (Read 399171 times)

Pclem and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Autocar

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: couple pics... post what your currently cutting
« Reply #3340 on: February 04, 2019, 03:36:20 PM »
Chip great job on the stumps your a timber cutter for sure  8)

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #3341 on: February 04, 2019, 04:44:43 PM »
here the max height off the ground is 4 feet for tops or any thing logging related and you are checked . I can ship pretty much any log with a top end inside bark diameter of 9 inch as long as its straight and sound so lots of times I get a couple 8 foot logs out of the top in the limbs so that helps lower the top as well. Some jobs you skid the tops but lots of jobs they stay right where you cut the tree. , The ground I mainly log on is real sand and it eats the tops up real fast 4 or 5 years there pretty much gone and same with the stumps , if I log a place this winter you have to cut the tops up no more than a year later or the wood is just punk and going rotten, another thing is once were done logging we still have a lot of the higher grade timber left standing so trying to get a top out would not be a easy thing and you may touch a standing tree, big problem here if you do . On a average acre there is about 10,000 to 12,000 feet of grade timber and we cut 1500 to 3000 feet of grade out of that acre and no small trees are counted in that footage number as we donot cut hardly any small timber , if I mark the bush I cannot mark a single tree under 22 inch diameter to be cut . Its a strict system but it does really work well I feel as you mainly cut the lower grade timber each time you cut and now were cutting pretty nice timber. Trees here grow real fast on this sand as well

Online chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #3342 on: February 04, 2019, 05:51:09 PM »
if I mark the bush I cannot mark a single tree under 22 inch diameter to be cut . Its a strict system..
That seems very odd to me. If you have a crooked ugly 12" tree what sense is there leaving it grow to 22" only to be even more crooked and ugly? I would rather cut that tree at 12" (better yet catch it at 6") and release another potentially superior tree to takes its place.
Glad I live in an area where I own the trees and don't need anyone's permission to harvest them and if I want to leave big tops or cut small trees I can. Nobody telling me what I can do with the land i supposedly "own". No laws controlling the equipment I have to use to try and squeak out a living. 

Online nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #3343 on: February 04, 2019, 06:07:43 PM »
if I mark the bush I cannot mark a single tree under 22 inch diameter to be cut . Its a strict system..
That seems very odd to me. If you have a crooked ugly 12" tree what sense is there leaving it grow to 22" only to be even more crooked and ugly? I would rather cut that tree at 12" (better yet catch it at 6") and release another potentially superior tree to takes its place.
Glad I live in an area where I own the trees and don't need anyone's permission to harvest them and if I want to leave big tops or cut small trees I can. Nobody telling me what I can do with the land i supposedly "own". No laws controlling the equipment I have to use to try and squeak out a living.
I suspect what you'll find is that in his forest someone has done the TSI already and that there is a real forester doing the dirty work of monitoring and "growing" the forest.  At least that would be the case in Europe where the difference between the forest is night and day compared to the US.  Our forest management practices are sort of stone age and in the long run neither the forest nor landowners have benefited.   Especially the case in slower growing hardwood forest that require some careful tending.  I'm not joking about getting up to see these woodlands.  Duke forest in Durham is a beut, there are some other high quality managed woodlands that make one realize that great forest and active use are possible.  Sort of a shame that so little takes place.  @mike_belben has posted quite a bit of his experience in TN dealing with high graded forest, in VA it is mostly the same, WV, KY too if the forest were at all close to towns or rails.  The forest was the bank but no landowner ever made a deposit...just runs on the bank.  
Liking Walnut

Online chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #3344 on: February 04, 2019, 07:30:32 PM »
I've seen plenty of well manage forests and plenty of mismanaged forests, both here and abroad.  I guess my take away is if I own the land I want to have the ability to manage it how I see fit, if that's a clear cut then so be it. I'd rather live on acres of overgrown alder brush and garbage that I can use as I see fit than acres of pristine government managed forest that I "own" but can't do anything with without somebody else's permission.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #3345 on: February 04, 2019, 07:38:12 PM »
Whats worse is all i see are early withdrawals with the associated penalties.  Toothpick timber.  

There was a state owned swamp across the street from my old house up in mass.  It was the neighborhood tire dump wasteland.  Full of mattresses, shopping carts and contractor loads of pine rounds.   But timber wise itnwas a goldmine.  Red and white oak veneers 50' to a limb you couldnt bearhug.  I have never seen a forest to match in tennessee.  I have seen 2 pretty close parcels, out of a few hundred.  

The bigtimers atleast plant pine i guess. Kind of a sterile barbie forest but it is actively managed.  I have met one person who was interested in improving his stand and that was only after i met him about cleaning up a hit and run logging job.  

Big tracts of standing timber only seem to change hands by inheritance and it would be very rare for the 2nd generation to give a hoot about anything but cashing it out.  A farmer seems to typically be a more conscious land owner but naturally theyre under pressure for pasture and hay production so as they can clear, theyll tend to.  Hard to blame them.   Every case i personally know of with say 1000 timbered acres, is an inheritor.  People who didnt need the cash. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #3346 on: February 04, 2019, 10:04:06 PM »
Yes I agree but remember Im on sand and if you do not cut your forest it dies and if I cut your bush this year I should be back in your bush in 8 years cutting it again ,  lots of the timber I cut is 45 years old or so, sometimes its less . It took me a while to get use to how they do things here as Im from up north where the rules were a lot easier , you cut lots of processor style hardwood up there , here I would not cut a load a year of that type of wood . Up north I see a lot of rotten butts and a lot of low grade, here I see very little rotten butt and if I do most times I can go up trunk about 2 or 3 feet and cut block off and tree is good and sound . By- law wants the bush to be pretty much a high grade stand at all times which you still cut ever 8 years or so with that depending on tree growth

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3347 on: February 05, 2019, 01:37:37 AM »
The race is on to get done, sat in the buncher 10hrs last night throwing down what was left in the back. Hard to tell but that's 30"+ on the stump, wish it had turned out good. 

Offline jimbarry

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
    • WoodchuckCanuck
« Reply #3348 on: February 05, 2019, 04:40:17 AM »
Clearing a spot for a new work yard.

Jim
2017 Nyle L200
8ft x 10 ft x 20ft bldg
3.5-4" 2lb closed cell spray foam, Demilec brand HeatLok Soya Spray Polyurethane Foam Insulation

Offline dustintheblood

• Home in the woods
    • Share Post
« Reply #3349 on: February 05, 2019, 10:11:40 AM »
Yes I agree but remember Im on sand and if you do not cut your forest it dies and if I cut your bush this year I should be back in your bush in 8 years cutting it again ,  lots of the timber I cut is 45 years old or so, sometimes its less . It took me a while to get use to how they do things here as Im from up north where the rules were a lot easier , you cut lots of processor style hardwood up there , here I would not cut a load a year of that type of wood . Up north I see a lot of rotten butts and a lot of low grade, here I see very little rotten butt and if I do most times I can go up trunk about 2 or 3 feet and cut block off and tree is good and sound . By- law wants the bush to be pretty much a high grade stand at all times which you still cut ever 8 years or so with that depending on tree growth
Hey EHP,
Just a quick note to thank you for weighing in on your experiences with the tree cutting bylaws and forestry practices here in Ontario.  You really seem to have a balanced and decent way of looking at things and I like how you take the forest health into consideration.
We need a ton more guys like you!!!

Case 1494, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln, plus other toys - cause well - gotta have something to play around on

Offline dustintheblood

• Home in the woods
    • Share Post
Case 1494, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln, plus other toys - cause well - gotta have something to play around on

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #3351 on: February 05, 2019, 04:58:31 PM »
a lot has to also go with the soil we have , I can go 30 minutes to the east and ground is totally different , its a lot more clay type , Timber also is a lot different and grows so much slower even thou the air temp is pretty much the same as here , you get pretty spoiled pretty fast logging here but Im sure lots of other places have better wood . Another factor is cause of being on sand the wood is very white which is good for hard and soft maple, not so good for red oak  and another thing is if the red oak grew real fast the veneer buys do not really like it , white oak and hard maple they cry for it  

Offline Cub

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3352 on: February 10, 2019, 10:08:49 PM »

Big dbh but short hairy white pine, small hemlock, balsam, and spruce. All low dollar pulp. Thereís the results of a few weekends of cutting and a very long skid. Not a fun job. 

Online nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #3353 on: February 11, 2019, 06:48:53 AM »
@Cub All with the Iron Mule?  Good sized pile, sorry it's all pulp though.  
Liking Walnut

Offline Cub

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3354 on: February 11, 2019, 11:12:10 AM »
Nativewolf. Yes all with the iron mule. 1/4 mile haul to the landing through not ideal conditions for hauling. Thereís no decent market for white pine like this. Full of dead knots. 

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3355 on: February 11, 2019, 09:20:09 PM »

Iím ready for the snow to be gone.

Online Old Greenhorn

• An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #3356 on: February 11, 2019, 09:32:57 PM »

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Ah c'mon man, that's just a heavy dusting. I have family out there and heard about your storm. Isn't that considered high desert country? It should be gone pretty quick. I can see two thirds of the tracks on that machine and I know it gets slippery and you have NO flat ground there, but... 
Can You help out the Coleman Veterans Memorial by chipping in a few bucks? Go here for the full story: Can you help this year? in General Board

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3357 on: February 11, 2019, 09:39:47 PM »

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Ah c'mon man, that's just a heavy dusting. I have family out there and heard about your storm. Isn't that considered high desert country? It should be gone pretty quick. I can see two thirds of the tracks on that machine and I know it gets slippery and you have NO flat ground there, but...
High desert? Iím an hour from the coast. We got an inch of rain this afternoon so 10Ē of snow plus whatever we get tonight will be a mess but weíll be cutting tomorrow and hopefully yarding Wednesday.

Offline AZ_builder

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3358 on: February 11, 2019, 10:09:23 PM »
Currently working on a straight mesquite log with the Alaskan mill. Canít figure out the picture posting from my phone though.

Online Old Greenhorn

• An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #3359 on: February 11, 2019, 10:09:51 PM »
AH! My bad, you are on 'the other side'. Winter will end, it always has in the past.
Can You help out the Coleman Veterans Memorial by chipping in a few bucks? Go here for the full story: Can you help this year? in General Board

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx

Started by Brian w on General Board

1 Replies
Last post January 01, 2019, 05:27:50 PM
by dustyjay
xx
first post and a couple of questions

Started by billy_wizz on Timber Framing/Log construction

8 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 10:18:25 AM
by Heartwood