iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

home made buzz/circle saw mill

Started by ktowne030311, February 03, 2015, 08:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktowne030311

so i was pondering last night how i wanted to make my own homemade mill. i was thinking of several different ways, and then i got the genius idea. why not use a circular blade? ive seen people say there under powered sometimes, so i got the idea to power it from my tractor.

basically, im going to use a basic 3pt hitch set up, with the drive shaft, and the gear box off of a bush hog. the buzz saw blade, would be on the end of the gear box.

anyone ever see anything like this? opinions?
McCulloch 5-49, Ms290/390 frankenstein, 030av, 051av

Joe Hillmann

Just make sure the blade you plan to use is or can be set up for ripping.  Buzz saws blades are designed for cross cutting and probably won't rip well.  That may be fixable by adjusting the set and filing the teeth to the proper angle.

Jeff

You can't make a sawmill blade from a buzz saw blade, not even by changing the teeth. It don't work that way. There is much more to a circular sawmill blade than just the teeth.  I'd recommend reading Lunstrum's book Circular Sawmills and their efficient operation to get an understanding of circular sawmill theory.
www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

In Norway people had small buzz saws attached to the PTO of their tractors. I guess about a 15" blade or so. They just used them to cross cut small logs into firewood about 1' long. They would cut 3"-6" diameter birch mostly and drag to a landing, run them on conveyer rollers, cut to length, stack on a pallet and shrink wrap. They would split a 3" birch log 4 ways. They used small wood stoves in multiple rooms in the houses. Was pretty efficient but the unguarded buzz saw blades sure looked dangerous to me.

I never saw anyone use one to try to cut lumber. Good luck and be real careful.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

ktowne030311

i didnt know there was a difference in a buzz saw blade and a sawmill blade. i would of course be using a sawmill one. this idea came to me after reading that people were using electric and gas engines for these and that "they are underpowered"

Remle

Are you wanting a circle mill or a buzz saw?? Can definitely help with a circle mill. Have an M14 Bell-saw, PTO powered that I will post in the for sale section if you are interested..

beenthere

I have the same question as Remie.

Trying to follow which tangent ktowne is on now..  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

If I were into making a mill, home version, I would do some you tube searching, bout anything is possible, I will say, I too thought a buzz blade was for cross cuts, so the topic title is a bit misleading to me, you did mention circular saw blade so I reckon this is what you are starting with,  I say grab some iron, torches, a welder and get ready for some head scratching ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

pineywoods

The bush hog gear box idea works well. I rigged one simular but I don't use it to cut wood, use it to chew up stumps. The blade guard is a deck off an old riding lawn mower. The hydraulic cylinder swings the blade side to side. Gear box and blade swivel to horizontal for brush clearing. Wouldn't be much trouble to set the blade in a slot in a table and use it to buzz saw wood.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ktowne030311

didnt know there was a difference. i am on a circle mill tangent  ;D. thanks guys

Remle

Quote from: Remle on February 03, 2015, 09:48:18 AM
Are you wanting a circle mill or a buzz saw?? Can definitely help with a circle mill. Have an M14 Bell-saw, PTO powered that I will post in the for sale section if you are interested..
Put add in Fore Sale Sect.

ktowne030311

Remle, i found some videos on youtube. it looks as if it has a hydraulic cylinder on it that pushes the logs back and forth? or it is a gear box with reverse that runs off the pto?

Remle

Quote from: ktowne030311 on February 04, 2015, 10:24:35 AM
Remle, i found some videos on youtube. it looks as if it has a hydraulic cylinder on it that pushes the logs back and forth? or it is a gear box with reverse that runs off the pto?
No hydraulic cylinder or gear box, just a cable wraps around the drive and out to pulleys at each end of the saw platform. Drive turns either way depending on which way the pulleys run top or bottom of the belt system.  Better yet Google "Belsaw Machinery Co.- Publications Reprints - M-14 Sawmill "  down load the free PDF manual for the saw and check out pg 29 ( 10/16 ) titled " Feed For Light Sawmills ".

Jeff

So you know, Forestry Forum photo posting rulesrequire that you do not direct people to your gallery to view photos. Photos are only to be uploaded to the server to be used in a post. If it is not in a post, it needs to be removed. If it is in a post, it can NEVER be removed from the gallery.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Remle

Jeff
My apology, will reread posting rules..

Thank You Sponsors!