iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dovetail Log Cabin

Started by fred in montana, February 07, 2015, 08:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred in montana

Here are some photos of a cabin I built a couple of years ago. The one we will build during the workshop in June will be a similar size. There are details about the workshop in the services category.

In this first picture you can see the wavy edge. I moved the saw head up and down as I went along cutting the top and bottom edges of the log. This way the chink joints were not all a constant width. I think it looks less manufactured this way.

woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

fred in montana

logdovetailjig.com

Jeff

Love it.  There is a very nice, and considerably larger dovetail cabin just around the corner from our place. I admire it every time I go by.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fred in montana

logdovetailjig.com

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

beenthere

Looks cozy, and a welcome camp to come back to after a hike or a hunt.

You should treat yourself to a Logrite cant hook to replace the wood handled one shown. You won't regret it, and the 30" model would be real handy for logs around the mill and the cabin build. Just sayin...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

justallan1

That's my next dream. Possibly a bit bigger.

Allan

Magicman

I love it.  A log cabin bunkhouse is in my dreams.  Hopefully these ole bones will allow me to fulfill that dream.  I looked at trees yesterday.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

I like it, But to move the blade up and down to get the [look] Why not use a dull blade, Or did you? :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

fred in montana

The idea with moving the blade up and down was to vary the vertical dimension.
logdovetailjig.com

beenthere

Seems the same effect could be gained by just randomly easing off some of the corners with a draw knife, and not compromise the fit between "logs" with a wavy pattern.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fred in montana

I think the draw knife would work too.
logdovetailjig.com

Jeff

Is there a way to create the dove tails and have the logs flat against each other, with no chinking space?  I'm having to do some serious rethinking on the cabin I want to build due to the building inspectors requirements.  I have about 180 8-9" average diameter 8ft logs on site. I could build conventional horizontal log. I'd like to flatten the logs on two sides with the woodmizer, and use flat foam compressed between them and log screws to hold them together. Can you still do that with a dove tail corner?

woodworker9

Quote from: Jeff on February 12, 2015, 10:45:01 AM
Is there a way to create the dove tails and have the logs flat against each other, with no chinking space?  I'm having to do some serious rethinking on the cabin I want to build due to the building inspectors requirements.  I have about 180 8-9" average diameter 8ft logs on site. I could build conventional horizontal log. I'd like to flatten the logs on two sides with the woodmizer, and use flat foam compressed between them and log screws to hold them together. Can you still do that with a dove tail corner?

The short answer is "YES", you can.  You just have to be very accurate with your joinery, cutting the dovetails.  A close friend of mine built his cabin this way in Idaho, and he routed spline grooves between each log for a 1" thick spline.  This spline acts as an alignment aid, as well as keeping the "outside" outside.  He insulated between each layer and over the spline with foam rolled insulation.  The cabin is beautiful, and pretty efficient, too.

Being a professional woodworker, and not a log builder, he took his time, and cut the dovetails by hand with a hand saw, not a chainsaw.  I am personally in awe of seeing dovetails cut accurately with a chainsaw.  I do not think of a chainsaw as an accurate joinery tool, but there are those who are great with one.  I'm more of a handtool guy.

Jeff
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

1938farmall

seems like you could save yourself endless heartache by just using a simple "butt & pass" corner with foam & logscrews.
aka oldnorskie

Jeff

I totally agree. Problem is I have to conform to materials and methods the county inspector will allow. I would much rather do butt and pass as I understand the joint and it would be much easier for me.

cbla

fred in montana that looks amazing!

Magicman

Here is a LINK to Fred's website discussing chink gap size.

I mentioned to him in a PM about using ΒΌ" and he said OK.  My plan is to use 6X8 Red Oak.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fred in montana

About 25% of my customers build with zero gap. Some even use factory milled logs having a tongue and groove.

When using any dovetail jig, every cut is precise so it works fine.

logdovetailjig.com

fred in montana

logdovetailjig.com

shelbycharger400

Yes, i know of a jig that clamps to the log, and stops are built in so you dont cut into it. Ill have to do some digging. I cant remember the maker. But it was $300-500, .

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

shelbycharger400

Guess i was way off on $.  Dream dovetail jig .   $800

fred in montana

I built mine for about $50 in about 2 hours and have built three cabins with this set.
logdovetailjig.com

Magicman

If/when I build, it will be with Fred's jigs.  :)

My first priority is finishing the bedroom on the Cabin Addition, and then hosting a "Chickin Crispin".

Thank You Sponsors!