The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Identify this oak  (Read 3110 times)

Offline wdmn

• Forestarii foris stent
    • Share Post
Re: Identify this oak
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 11:04:40 AM »
It is a shame. Another example of how something with communal value is transformed into value for only a few.

Offline mesquite buckeye

• Senior Member x2
  • Trees are good- even ones with stickers
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 05:09:37 PM »
All things that live die. The biggest and most spectacular are generally closest to that fate.

New ones will grow.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 01:42:43 PM »
Very true.

My Champion tree is dying.  It's steadily dropping limbs and is about + gone.  This picture was taken during a Chickin Crispin a couple of years ago.

This one will become my Champion tree.  It makes fishpharmer and I look like dwarfs.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 02:22:13 PM »
It makes fishpharmer and I look like dwarfs.

The pic of the texas size steak on the BBQ grill comes to mind.... 

That crispin was the one with the hot romance going on... had us all on edge.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 05:08:02 PM »
That crispin was the one with the hot romance going on... had us all on edge.   ;D
Yup, maybe I should have used a different picture.  :-\

Here it was when the entire crown was still alive.  This was taken early in the Spring of 2011, when it was just beginning to leaf out.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline wdmn

• Forestarii foris stent
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 12:29:01 PM »
nevertheless, when whether something lives or dies is our choice, then it is our choice, and we shouldn't pretend that this is the same as when it isn't. also, it is very different when those making the choice have little concern for what others who care would choose.

Offline mesquite buckeye

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 02:15:22 PM »
I would rather see something useful come from such a tree before it turns into mulch. Just because a tree is big doesn't make it any more valuable a life than a small one. Death is the norm in the forest and all who live there reach that end whether by storm or disease or axe. Seems to me we should worry more about the overall forest health and productivity than the life of a single large tree, no matter how beautiful and rare the individual.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Offline wdmn

• Forestarii foris stent
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 05:30:28 PM »
I didn't mean to come across as overly attached to an individual tree. I've never even met this one before. The point was that decisions are made all of the time about things that have value to people who are not involved in the decision making. Perhaps that's the way things are, doesn't mean that that's the way things should be.

If it became mulch it would also get turned into something (other than the mulch). it might get turned into several more young trees if its left standing (who knows, one of them might even become the next state champ), also, in becoming mulch it will have played a role in numerous processes that are part of a functioning forest.

Aren't dying trees (left in the forest to turn to mulch) important to "forest health," no matter how beautiful or rare the individual?

Offline mesquite buckeye

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 05:55:30 PM »
Thats all fine as long as it is on public land.

If it is my place then just back off. I will manage it as I see fit. I don't need somebody who has no resposibility to pay the taxes or get a return on his investment telling me how I should or should not operate. If you think you should never cut a tree and just want to go play in the woods buy your own woods. You will find they are not cheap and the work is hard if you want to make a living.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Can You Identify This

Started by Radar67 on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

29 Replies
Last post May 27, 2007, 08:34:04 PM
by WDH
xx
Help identify this saw!

Started by ramzilla on Chainsaws

6 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 03:15:34 PM
by ramzilla
xx
Can you identify for me please.

Started by Duke Santos on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

9 Replies
Last post January 01, 2017, 09:42:47 PM
by Ron Scott
xx
Please help to identify this log

Started by dbmoran on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2019, 09:52:39 PM
by dbmoran