iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cummins 6bt problem

Started by sshier, February 14, 2015, 09:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sshier

Well this all started off Monday when during warm up the deere in my loader cracked the head and spun a bearing. so started the fun a week of pulling motors and fabrication. finally got our new motor a cummins 6bt in and all ready to go. bleed the injectors and bang she was off and running ran about 45 to 60 seconds and bang sounded like a back fire blew the oil fill plug and the motor quit. thought maybe the blow bye vent was plugged and built pressure but it was clear any thoughts thinking possibly a head gasket or stuck exaust valve engine hasn't been run in a year but ran out fine then.

coxy

don't have any idea  but that really sucks

UN Hooker

If the fill plug is in the valve cover, pull the cover and look - something may have broken (valve stem, rocker, pushrod etc.) and knocked the fill plug out.  If the crankcase gets over pressured on a Cummins, it usually blows the tappet cover gasket out behind the injection pump first.
         UN
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

sshier

Fill plug is on injection pump s idea below the pump

hubel458

Engine setting valve may have stuck open , pounded on piston.
hole in piston or stuck shut, then let loose, keepers loose
valve become free, then dropped down,  hole in piston.

Bad week you got. Ed

sshier

Never heard of that but I guess it could happen going to pull head on Monday should be able to get a idea then any more ideas are welcome thanks

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

hubel458

We almost had same happen.  Rolled over a new engine, that set for

years and wouldn't start and it went clunk no more turn. Took off cover

and valve stuck down. Got valve free, rolled over ok with cover off to

be sure they all were working. A 4 cylinder but it still wouldn't start..

It had the opposed little cam operated piston in top  of injector pump

and they were set up closed, replaced them it started, run like a top.ED

snowstorm

didnt they problems with some of the older 5.9 with a dowel pin coming out and getting into the timing gears. several yrs ago i heard of a dodge pickup doing that

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sshier

Good news finally valve was stuck closed no damage done engine is running lIke a song thanks everyone

rockwall

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

LeeB

Glad to hear the Cummins didn't let you down.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

barbender

Right on 8) Glad to hear it ;)

On the dowel pin, I have been around b series Cummins engines my entire working career, and I have never seen or heard of this problem except on the internet. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that it isn't as common as some internet sites would leave you to believe. I had a guy that was on my case, he just couldn't believe that I was driving around in my Dodge/Cummins without having fixed the "killer dowel pin" (KDP) :o I told him it had made it 250K already, if it was going to fall out it would have done it already.

Decked

I bought a new Dodge/cummins in 1990 ( back when things were good!). I ran it 17 years, it had 314K when I put her to sleep. The engine was never looked at..but the rest of the truck finally rotted out. i actually teared up when they put it on the tilt bed :'(

snowstorm

Quote from: barbender on February 17, 2015, 08:12:40 AM
Right on 8) Glad to hear it ;)

On the dowel pin, I have been around b series Cummins engines my entire working career, and I have never seen or heard of this problem except on the internet. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that it isn't as common as some internet sites would leave you to believe. I had a guy that was on my case, he just couldn't believe that I was driving around in my Dodge/Cummins without having fixed the "killer dowel pin" (KDP) :o I told him it had made it 250K already, if it was going to fall out it would have done it already.
i know someone that had that happen

lopet

Quote from: Decked on February 17, 2015, 09:58:05 AM
The engine was never looked at..but the rest of the truck finally rotted out.

Mine was a 90 as well ( only 3rd owner ). At 425000 I quit putting money in to it and parked it. Still have it, I know it's a bad habit , not throwing stuff away  ;D  Pulled the motor and it's sitting on a skid and waiting for somebody doing something with it. Pretty darn good motors for that time, but having said that, it really never had to work that hard in a 3/4 ton.
Driving a 98 now with 24 valves, so far so good.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

eichenberg93

about 6 months ago I had the cummins in my 92 come to a stop real quick going down the freeway at 70. it was not the dowel pin but had the same result. after 200,000 miles a bolt came out that holds the timing case on right above the cam :o so after replacing the cam, pushrods, and a couple of gears I can say that geartrain related issues are possible every once and a while ;)   

barbender

I'm not doubting it happens, to be clear ;) I might be responding to some of the guys I've come across that act like driving my truck without fixing the dowel pin is like running it without oil ::) Those dowel pins do come loose sometimes, but I think it is pretty rare.

Thank You Sponsors!