iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

franklin transmission lunched

Started by lynde37avery, February 21, 2015, 02:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynde37avery

Yup my tranny "fuller 4 spd" in my franklin went today. It literally broke out the casing.
Any advice on finding a new one?
Detroit WHAT?

ga jones

Junk yard. I'm sure golden rule here in pa would have one
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

lynde37avery

There's ball bearings all over the place. A hole in the side of the trans. Omg this is unreal.
Detroit WHAT?

lopet

If a bearing goes and bits and pieces get between the gears  that's what you get  and it's not that unreal.
Sorry for your luck man.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Ed_K

Check with Raymon's over in Bernardston, they rebuilt mine and had a lot of the part right there.Bet he has a spare there.
Ed K

lynde37avery

Detroit WHAT?

Corley5

Weller Truck Parts rebuilt my C4's tranny last summer.  The case wasn't blown out though  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

lynde37avery

It looks like this cover around the drive shaft is busted but maybe not the casing tho. first I gotta figure out how to get it out the machine.
Detroit WHAT?

HiTech

Might be easier to pull the motor and all. I talked to a guy who did a C6 Tree Farmer and he said he yanked it motor and all. No matter how you do it it probably won't be easy. Good luck.

Corley5

We pulled and reinstalled the engine and tranny as a whole last summer on the C4 when we did the clutch and had the tranny rebuilt.  It was much easier than trying to work through the door of the cab.   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ed_K

I pulled up the floor and used the cage to get mine out,but it's a taylor.
Ed K

jocco

Quote from: lynde37avery on February 22, 2015, 04:22:11 PM
It looks like this cover around the drive shaft is busted but maybe not the casing tho. first I gotta figure out how to get it out the machine

Not to familure with your machine but a 130 4spd???  We used to make a sling much like ED K said and pull it out. Some you must do reverser or bell house cover with it (they can be bolted inside the cover)  I would be hesitant to pull the motor only as a last resort Its a 353 I assume. Also if you get someone who really know trannys you will find many options. Might have to make a different yoke on driveshaft or use your imput shaft. good luck
You may check out but you will never leave

lumberjack48

When i pulled the Funk power shift out of my S8 IH i took the canopy off, 6 bolts and a muffler clamp. It took about two hours to pull the tran.
On the S8 the tran isn't bolted to the motor, there's a drive shaft from the bell hosing to the tran.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

John Woodworth

I assume that it's the same trans used in Garrett, if so 1.5 ton ford truck, you will only have to change the tail shaft and extension housing as everything else is the same.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

lynde37avery

I got a lot of homework done on it yesterday. It's a 5A330  4 spd transmission. Found one in Ohio at Lkq Goodys truck parts. It's a remanufactured for $1750. I can keep my old one For rebuild if I can.
anyone heard of this place LKQ Truck parts?
Detroit WHAT?

North River Energy

^
No experience with the LKQ truck division, but bought a Subaru mill a few years back from their Maine yard.
Called well after noon, had the motor on a pallet in the dooryard by 7 the following morning.
Price was good, ran as described.

lynde37avery

I got the transmission removed. Now onto getting the repair done.  Super easy job by the way getting it out. Muscle and good tools.
Detroit WHAT?

dgdrls

Good news on the removal,  did you confirm a broken case on the old gearbox?

Best
DGDrls

lynde37avery

Just a cover is broke. The case is good. So if I can find that cover maybe possible to rebuild it.
Detroit WHAT?

lynde37avery

What other transmissions bolt up to a 353 detroit for a skidder ? I know new process is what timberjack uses.
Detroit WHAT?

lynde37avery

Update!
got the transmission to a shop.  No broken gears or shafts. Just needs bearings and a back shaft cover.
I'm pretty excited about that. So the guys at Raymond repair Are on it for me.
Can't wait to get it back in and let the detroit make its death cry.
Detroit WHAT?

lynde37avery

All back up a and  running. Thanks to raymonds repair. Pulled 4 hitches yesterday. Transmission is nice and tight now.
Detroit WHAT?

Thank You Sponsors!