iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fransgard Logging Winch

Started by dsgsr, February 27, 2015, 03:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsgsr

Broke 2 brand new winch cables within 2-weeks. Fransgard won't pay for a better quality Cable, they say their cable is adequate. It's an 11mm (7/16) Non-steal core cable. How can the winch over power a NEW cable? This is disappointing. This is a V6500 14,300lbs of pull, this is why I bought it. More pull than the others. I had a V4000 8800lbs of pull for 14-yrs. The cable didn't break until the 13th yr. (It was well used). They claim, they have not changed cable suppliers in 15-yrs.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Ford_man

I think 7/16 cable is too light for that much pull, if you have to pay for new cable I would put 1/2 on it.

lopet

Yes, I too think it's too light. A lot of those European winches have normally two options, either a lighter cable with more feet, or a heavier one with less feet.
I have a Farmi with about 17000 lbs pull and a 14 mm cable and I can't brake it, because the clutch slips first.
Go at least 1/2 inch.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Straightgrain

Either one tough clutch or weak cables eh?

I digress:

Fransgard may not have changed their cable suppliers, but the cable suppliers probably bring in cables or raw materials from an inferior supplier.

The absence of Kevlar in certain makes of tires is another example.

Weaker metals should be the exception considering how the years of recycling metal has filtered-out impurities and thus provided a cleaner raw material...

At some point, an injury may occur; either the product safety or occupational safety agencies will have to test the cables [CFR 1910.266(h)(5)(iv)] and find if the equipment is meeting it's design standard(s).

Best/glad you found out without being injured.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

dsgsr

Yes, I too am glad I didn't get hurt. You would think I couldn't break the cable with a machine that is on the lower end of the hp rating of the Winch. The winch is rated for 60-110 pto hp, my tractor is 70 pto hp. I have run a Fransgard winch for 15-yrs. So I'm not New at this.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Thank You Sponsors!