iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How hard is it to do and inframe on a 440 B ?

Started by RayMO, March 03, 2015, 09:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayMO

Think I have a liner leaking and getting ready to tear her down and find out for sure. Lots of blow-by and loss of coolant . Light intermittent knock as well. Will a bad liner cause a knock ?
Thanks in advance as always. You all have helped me on several occasions and I sure do appreciate it , Ray. 
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

snowstorm

liner orings could be leaking but more likely the liners are pitted to the point that they have little holes in them. that lets coolant into the cyl. that dosent burn well. if you dont use coolant conditioner they will pitt. its only a matter of time. they are a easy motor to inframe. buy deere parts. last one i did was a few yrs ago. the pistons were already in the liners just push them down enough to put the rods on an drop the whole thing in. lube the orings and use a bolt and washer to hold the liners in place before turning the crank. take the head to a machine shop to grind the valves and surface the head 

RayMO

Thanks for the info snowstorm . I pulled the head and found a short piece of broken push rod about 2 inches long that had been left by the last guy who worked on it  :(
It was just tapping on the head and caused the gasket to leak.

Had hit a rather rough bump when it started and must have dislodged the piece of old push rod. Otherwise every thing looked great . Going to put her back together in the morning as soon as gaskets come in .
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

Gearbox

Its been a long time since I was in a 440 engine . What I do remember is they have a balance shaft that uses like cam bearings and when they go they spin in the block  take the block with them . So im saying don't do an inframe do it all . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Thank You Sponsors!