iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3-53 questions

Started by stoneeaglefarm, March 13, 2015, 04:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoneeaglefarm

Starting to work my way thru this Clark I bought. Its been 2o years since I have had a Detroit in a machine. Besides it being loud there suppose to be a good engine I hear. Its start good now thats its warm, Bellows some smoke as she starts, Warms up and I ran it around and while she sits seems very little color in smoke, What are good signs and or bad as far as smoke, There is leaking but hard to say were until I steam clean it next week, What are common leaks on the 3-53, Hear they all will use oil as they work. Gonna get thru that then start checking tranny and rear ends, Thanks to all with help so far on this my first clark. I found out its a 1978 high low gear, Forward-reverse for a tranny, No clutch. Thoughts on that .

treeslayer2003

if it don't billow blue smoke, your good.
thoughts on what? the clark powershift? very good lol, bulletproof.

BargeMonkey

Its a detroit, if your not leaking oil then you are out of oil. Clean air, good fuel and coolant and you shouldnt have many problems. My forwarder coughs a good cloud when she starts, unless you really start blowing white / blue smoke i wouldnt worry.

so il logger

X2... Anywhere oil can leak on a 353.... It probably will. Great engines though just don't lug it allot, run it like your'e mad at it :D :D Them beast's love higher rpm

tj240

the valve cover is the first place it will leak. we have one in our loader and there may be a drip hear or there thats it. they do love to run at high rpm. good luck
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

rockwall

Can you post some photos of the Clark?

John Woodworth

You will have a Air box drain behind the starter, a elbow with a tube pointing down, draining there is normal, if you ever remove starter, clean the tube, if it pluge you will start seeing blue smoke.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Thank You Sponsors!