Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Started the build.  (Read 65105 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Re: Started the build.
« Reply #520 on: March 06, 2018, 05:32:04 PM »
Yup, we will have a few nice working days this week and those cabinet doors are looking good.  I'll be sawing about 75 miles East of you.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #521 on: March 07, 2018, 05:03:15 AM »
What town and what days? If you are sawing Thursday, I would like to drive out your way. Dang doctor day today in Baton Rouge for my neck and another Friday in New Orleans for my heart. The second one, they called and told me things have been happing that shouldn't. Tried to tell them I been in a lot of pain with my neck. They still what to check me out.

Lynn, you should have some nice cool weather to saw in.

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #522 on: March 08, 2018, 03:46:27 PM »
Now it is time to decide if a change will be made to the upper cabinets. To stay the way they are or take out the center cabinets that are over the stove area and replace that area with a custom built exhaust hood that will be built out of oak as the cabinets.

All doors are done and this is what the top cabinets look like now.

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #523 on: March 08, 2018, 11:38:40 PM »
Exhaust hoods are fine as long as they are high enough so that one doesn't knock his head whilst looking in the pot on the stove. Otherwise, we hates'um!  
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #524 on: March 09, 2018, 06:55:53 AM »
I think I will just for go that hood for now. I can always come back in do it. Was also thinking of building it out of copper. The wife loves the way things are, BUT, now she wants a faucet installed on the back wall to the side of the stove area. Would not be hard to do. I already have a water line were the frig area is. I can Tee off that line from under the house and run the line back up.

Got to head to New Orleans today. Another doctor day. It is a battery check up and find out as to why I was taking some hits. My battery life is getting short to were I will have to have a replacement soon. Hate that trip.

This weekend, rain in the forecast. That will give me a good chance to do a complete clean up of the bottom cabinets. I have dust everywhere. Once I get that done, I will spray them. Then hang the draws hardware and the doors. That will finish them. What I had already sprayed, I used up a full gallon. That stuff is costing $50 a gallon, but it sprays out super nice.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #525 on: March 09, 2018, 02:33:53 PM »
Paul, I was West of Hammond for two days (Wed. & Thurs.) and yes, the weather was breezy but very nice.  I was sawing Cypress timbers which are shown in the Whatcha Sawin' topic.

Those cabinets are looking terrific.  Pat & I need to make another day trip so that we can stop by and take get a peek.  

I realize that those health issues are distractions, but keep on keeping on.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #526 on: March 09, 2018, 02:35:06 PM »
fishfighter,

I enjoy watching your progress.  Your creativity amazes me.  Hope you start feeling better.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #527 on: March 09, 2018, 05:01:48 PM »
Dang Lynn, that was less then an hour from me.

Always, all is good. I have to go back down towards the end of the month. The wife drove back. This trip was a SOB on the neck. Just knew I should of took something along for the ride, but I hate those things. Once I got back home, I popped a few tops. A bit better now. ;D

Offline Briankinley2004

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #528 on: March 10, 2018, 09:52:11 PM »
West of Hammond..Must have been Satsuma or Pumpkin Center. I was in Madisonville until Thursday about 30 minutes east of Hammond. Have a boat there. 

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #529 on: March 11, 2018, 05:39:26 AM »
Yesterday I was able to spray out the bottom base cabinet.

Still have the island to do. Had very little rain, but today it is going to storm. :(

Offline Rjwassink67

• learning all I can
    • Share Post
« Reply #530 on: March 12, 2018, 08:05:33 PM »
Wow, found this thread a little while ago and just now finished reading it and catching up.  You are doing an amazing job!  With everything going on in your life you have all of my respect.  Keep plugging away.  I'm a few years away before I start my homestead.

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #531 on: March 13, 2018, 06:07:44 AM »
Why thank you Sir. With all my troubles in my life, I feel that the Good Lord has blessed me with a good life.

Been laying around the house the last few days. Between my neck and spring pollen kicking my butt for the first time in my life, I just couldn't get out. :( I'm going to try and get out some today and install the draws and doors. ;D Still have to give the island a lite sand and spray it out. Using dust mask, that should help my sinus troubles from getting worse. ;D

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #532 on: March 13, 2018, 07:03:29 PM »
Did get out and got a lot done today. 8)

Base cabinets are done other then hardware.

After that, I put a full attack on the island, sanding, cleaning and then spraying. Very happy how it came out. ;D

Bad side of things, I'm short one set of hinges. >:( Just knew I had enough, but didn't. Only bang my head once. Not bad. ;D But both knees are killing me along with my neck. >:( Good thing I don't have to drive the 35 miles to get hinges. My daughter has to go that way tomorrow. ;D

Beer thirty now.

Oh, I am hoping I can get 3-4 strong young men to come help me lift the granite slab that goes on the island. It's an easy 400lbs. :o 

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #533 on: March 13, 2018, 08:13:31 PM »
Ain't nothin' easy 'bout 400 pounds!

:D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #534 on: March 14, 2018, 08:15:03 AM »
Fish, I love the way this project is turning out, the stained glass was a great idea. I would love to help you with that top but the drive is a little further than a weekend trip for me. :) 

After seeing this project I really want to learn how to do stained glass like that.

Keep up the great work.
I knew what I thought I meant.

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #535 on: March 14, 2018, 08:28:03 AM »
My daughter did the stain glass. One of her hobbies. It really is not hard to do, but the glass sheets run over $8 for a 12"x12" piece. And yes, the glass really made the cabinets pop. ;D

Still trying to figure a way I can move a 400+ pound slab by myself and lifting it to install it on the island. :D DanG thing is on the front porch. Only have to move it about 30'. :D

Today is yard work day. :( But I also need to do a complete clean up inside the house. Got a bunch of scrap wood that I kept to burn in the woodstove. Now the spring is here, I don't need it. :o It's a cool 40F now, but by 10 am, it will be above 70F with a high of 75+ today. ;D

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #536 on: March 14, 2018, 08:34:27 AM »
you probably have enough material left over to make a cart and use a jack to lift it into place?
I knew what I thought I meant.

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #537 on: March 14, 2018, 08:51:24 AM »
I do have some roller moving pads that I built to use to move timbers. Problem there is just to lift the slab to get it on the roller pads and keep it balance at the same time. :D Then getting it thru the door way from the porch which is about 5" difference in height. 

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #538 on: March 14, 2018, 09:43:42 AM »
I have a really steep driveway and a front door that is recessed into the front of the house.  There is 1 step up to the porch and 1 more into the house.  They backed their PickUp to the door but couldn't get the slab to clear the ceiling on the porch.  So they had to pull forward.  They put it on a material cart but then it wouldn't fit through the door (too tall).  Four guys to handle the 5' x 8' slab for our island.  Then they struggled to get it up on the island.  Don't try to do it yourself!  Too easy to break if it is not supported properly when you are setting it down.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 54' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #539 on: March 16, 2018, 05:19:59 AM »
Yesterday I was able to move the slab inside with the help of my wife. ;D Got two sets of moving dolly's. Built a frame to were I could stand the slab on it's side ad lock it in place. With the help of a pry board, I lifted one side up as my wife put blocks under. Then the other side. Slipped the dollies under and locked it in place. Then I built a ramp with different strips of scrap boards and plywood for the thresh hole of the door way. After that, that sucker just rolled in. ;D

From there, got a bunch of blocks, block the wheels on the dollies and lower it down on the blocks. Then I was able to lift one side and my wife add more blocks. Got it better then half way up to the point that two men can lift one end and slide it over the edge of the island. SIL suppose to come by after work today and we will get it installed. ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
started sawmill build

Started by staker on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 04:40:22 AM
by ND rancher
xx
Manualish bandmill build started

Started by rrleesb on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post June 03, 2018, 01:48:57 PM
by rrleesb