AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: homemade bandsaw mill, help  (Read 65937 times)

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: homemade bandsaw mill, help
« Reply #940 on: March 16, 2018, 04:30:06 PM »
Just a thought, have you trued another blade, is it possible that yours got a little damaged when it came off?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline Georgia088

• Full Member x2
  • New to all things sawmill
    • Share Post
« Reply #941 on: March 16, 2018, 05:58:13 PM »
Not sure how you are measuring tension on blade but if you are tensioning then putting 1/4” of down pressure. You are adding 1/2” more tension to blade. This was pretty substantial when I measured mine with caliper. I “stretched blade” .005 in 6”. then put down pressure on blade. This changed reading from .005 to about .008. This is where I have been cutting (maybe an hours worth with no problem). I think this is probably on the tight side but idk. 

I would put a straight edge across wheels without blade guides on. And then with blade guides putting 1/4” of down pressure and compare the tilt of your wheels. Again, take this for what it’s worth. I’m a dumb pe coach that hasn’t figured my own mill out yet. 

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #942 on: March 16, 2018, 06:14:11 PM »
When aligning the blade guide wheels, I remember something I read.  The "leading" edge of the guide wheel flange, the side that sees the blade first, should be slightly further back then the trailing edge.  To say it another way, IF the flange were to touch the back of the blade, the down wind side should touch before the upwind side.  That is to keep the blade from wanting to ride up onto and over the flange.  I'm only talking about 1/32" to 1/16" difference, so very slight.

IF, however, you have too drastic a difference, the guide would try to push the blade forward.

Another thought, the blade is supposed to be absolutely parallel to the log bunks, both across (by adjusting the amount of down pressure on each side) and front to back (by adjusting the tilt of the individual rollers).
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline gww

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #943 on: March 16, 2018, 11:18:14 PM »
Josh
I do not have more to add then starmac, georgia or ljohnsaw. It all seems like good advice to me.
Good luck and hope it goes well and that you tell us about it.
gww

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #944 on: March 17, 2018, 01:24:53 AM »
My old mizer does not have a gauge, and I never thought about measureing it like you have, but what I do know is when I first started I was not putting enough pressure on it, I tightened it to where you would think is way to tight, but it sure cuts good like that, so I run it tight. I have broke a couple of blades, but I don't know if that has had anything to do with it, or if I just ran them too long or what.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline gww

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #945 on: March 17, 2018, 09:38:11 AM »
I have broke a couple of blades, but I don't know if that has had anything to do with it, or if I just ran them too long or what.

If you are happy with what you are getting, that is the best evidence.

I do a lot of reading and also have run into quite a bit of issues with my mill being built out of junk.  So I was fourced to do quite a bit of reading.  Cooks web site has some tutorials about blades and guides and speed to motor and just a lot of things to read.  Now they are trying to sell stuff too.
So some of my tips is based on what they have wrote as well as other places.  I have broke about ten blades and never get the kind of board foot out of blades that some with hydrolic wood mizers get on here.  So I go to cooks and read that smaller diamater pullys or wheels flex the blade more or if the blade rides its back against the roller it will break from the back, if it is dull and too tight it will break in the gullet and all these other little tips that do not mean anything if everything is going great.  However, when you are having problims, it gives you avenues to try and fine tune.
Cheers
gww

Offline mazdathumps

• Full Member x2
  • An object in motion stays in motion
    • Share Post
« Reply #946 on: March 18, 2018, 07:31:06 PM »
Starmac, I didn't think to run the new blade, but I did visually inspect the one that came off... I may still try the new blade once I get the guides set up again and see if there's a difference between the two... Good advice

Georgia, I measure tension by pushing on the top or bottom of the blade until I feel it's tight enough to cut without flexing... No scientific method... I visited a Woodmizer mill and felt his tension and that's how I judge mine... With my pneumatic wheels, you could definitely tighten too tight and nothing you did would keep the blade on, so I get what you mean there...

ljohnsaw, I do remember the cooks instructions saying to leave about a business card thickness gap on the input side of the guide wheel (in my case, the left side of each guide going counterclockwise)... I did have them setup this way when all this happened... I'll have to pull up those directions again and start from scratch setting them guides up again... And as for the blade being parallel from front to back and left to right, we are there... I think i'm going to start by setting my guides up from a "new" position, that way I know it's done right...

I appreciate all the advice and I'm sure as I'm working on these guides, something will hit me that I might have forgotten or didn't check (including ya'lls advice)... haha I should have some time this week to tackle it again... I'm also starting a 20 x 20 shop and found out my permits are a packet, as if I was building a house... Stupid, but it is what it is... I told them I was just going to write homemade on the materials list, and she's like, "that's fine, we understand"... I was like, what the heck do I need to do all this paperwork for then... Anyways, we keep the wheels rolling around my house, so I will post as soon as I have newer results on the sawmill... Thanks again guys
Thanks, Josh

Offline mazdathumps

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #947 on: September 09, 2018, 07:13:43 PM »
 8)

Hey guys, just checking in... What a busy year

Anyways... Long story short, I had a guy come out and look at my sawmill (who was thinking of building his own) and offered me a bit of money for mine, as is... He is a tinkerer like myself and wanted to use my mill and improve it as it is instead of building his... Well, I had a number in my mind that would determine whether i would keep it or not if the day ever came where someone wanted to buy it... He hit that number on the first offer, so I took it and he loaded it up... The sawmill is sold... 

Am I sad about it?  eghhh... Yes and no... Yes, because it was enjoyable to tinker on and perfect... No, because I really don't enjoy cutting the wood and loading/unloading myself... Also, another deciding factor in selling it was that I now have at least 2 other good friends who bought mills since I started building mine who have offered to cut a few slabs here and there for me at no cost to me... So, I will be taking them up on that offer if I ever need some slabs... 

I, however, will be glad to offer any advise to anyone who wishes to pick my brain about my build or do's/don'ts on their build... I guess it's never out of your blood... Also, I could not have gotten anywhere close to a finished, working, mill without all of ya'lls help along the way... Thank you all, each of you!

Now, to address the issues I was last having on my mill... THe blade kept slinging off and I could not find the reason (after cutting a whole tree with no issues)... Well, on the day of the sale, I found my problem... A set screw had come loose on my swivel plate assembly and caused my two plates to loosen about a sixtenth of an inch... That was enough to cause a misalignment between the two band wheels and help that blade walk off the front... The buyer also noticed this when I did and agreed that that was the issue... 

The sawmill is in good hands and I'm sure i'll make that hour trip to see it once he gets done tinkering on it... Heck, i might even bring him a log or two to cut for me...  :D

Anyways, hope everyone has been good... 
Thanks, Josh

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #948 on: September 09, 2018, 08:25:07 PM »
The same sort of thing happened to me with a CSM I had made.

So the question is.... what are you going to make now?

Offline mazdathumps

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #949 on: September 09, 2018, 08:34:22 PM »
I am partially done building a bobber motorcycle... Once that's done, I plan to do some welding and wood working to sell...

That's not really exciting, but that's the plan so far... Also, considered getting into some CNC type stuff and powder coating
Thanks, Josh

Offline gww

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #950 on: September 10, 2018, 08:46:34 AM »
Thanks for the update Josh.
Cheers
gww

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #951 on: September 10, 2018, 08:54:39 AM »
That should keep you entertained for a while. smiley_thumbsup

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
homemade bandsaw mill

Started by revid on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post May 04, 2015, 05:36:25 AM
by revid
xx
Testing Homemade Bandsaw Mill

Started by harmons_ranch on Sawmills and Milling

26 Replies
Last post February 17, 2018, 08:04:24 PM
by Darrel