The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: stupidity strikes hard  (Read 5242 times)

Offline olyman

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: stupidity strikes hard
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 09:44:44 AM »
ok--now see red toolbox--west of waterloo--where deere tractors are built---about 35 miles--

Offline rebocardo

• Senior Member x2
  • Atlanta GA
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 10:42:19 AM »
> THAT would break concrete--if it fell---

No, from experience AFTER it crushes everything flat in its way it punches a hole clean through it.

I posted in the WANTED section for help cutting down a 48" oak for my wife's church. Arranged for a "professional" with insurance to come by to drop it. I warned them all to wait until I put firewood down in front of the tree to break its fall so when it hit it wouldn't damage the parking lot. I wanted to keep the trunk elevated off the ground.

A 48" DBH 109 foot white oak makes quite an "impression" when it falls on cement and blacktop without its cushioning branches  :D

Each lower 10 foot section weighed at least 7,000 pounds, though it was exceptional. The tree was more square then round. I think I posted pictures of the 19"x38" branches 40+ feet up in the air. Some of the other trees I cut up, were as wide but not nearly as tall and heavy.

I have found it kind of weird you can have two trees of the same type and width in the same area and have a huge difference in weight per cubic foot. I imagine the trees say the same thing about us though  ;)

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 10:50:46 AM »
olyman
must be near that Grundy Center walnut business, and not too distant from Norm and Patty.  Nice country, and near where I grew up.......the four lane hwy 20 goes through the fields I worked as a boy (1/2 mile east of intersection with hwy 21) and some of the tall pine on the farm still stand where I picked off crows in between emptying buckets of milk in the cooler. Good memories, along with drivin tractors out at the experimental farm. And workin at Woody Hayes' brother Ike's Veterinary office in the 50's.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Murf

• Senior Member x2
  • The pitter-patter of little feet..........
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2007, 12:51:52 PM »
Near here the house prices in the big city got so steep people found it was cheaper to buy an old house and tear it down than to find vacant land.

There was huge areas of the city that had been built up prior to and just after WWII and the average lot size was about double what it is today. Most of them where 100' lots, unheard of in a major city today.

Another desireable feature of these 60 to 70'ish year old subdivisions was the mature landscaping, especially the large shade trees.

The city, bowing to the 'green' groups, forced the developers to protect the mature trees at all costs. They even went so far as to pass a by-law, vesting ownership of said trees with the city, regardless of whether they stood on city property or private land.

Of course that was something they started 20'ish years ago.

Now they have a different problem, those very same trees are dying and dropping widow-makers through the windows of BMW's and Jaguars at a horrendous rate. A typical large thunderstorm will black out thousands of homes and wipe out 6 or 8 cars.

Of course since the city is responsible, after all, they're their trees, the homeowners (or their insurance companies) aren't all that broken up over it.  ;)

You should suggest to your client that if the city wants to protect the tree, maybe they should idemnify the owner in case it dies and becomes an accident waiting to happen.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Offline Husky

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2007, 12:56:25 PM »
cut it down and make table tops for the restaurant so they will have a piece of it to remember

Offline Engineer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 02:06:37 PM »
cut it down and make table tops for the restaurant so they will have a piece of it to remember

It's a nice thought, but the restaurant is a Chili's.  They already have their corporate decor.    Plus, they don't care.  It's the local treehuggers that want the tree kept alive - if it dies, they don't care anymore either.   :(

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Fish Hooks and Stupidity

Started by jerry-m on General Board

13 Replies
Last post July 09, 2005, 09:16:41 PM
by SwampDonkey
xx
entertaining acts of stupidity

Started by old2stroke on Chainsaws

37 Replies
Last post January 26, 2016, 10:51:28 PM
by sawguy21
xx
which comes first? Cell phone or Stupidity?

Started by karl on General Board

17 Replies
Last post July 04, 2004, 04:09:51 PM
by VA-Sawyer
xx
A Moment Stupidity= Hours of Work

Started by shopteacher on General Board

25 Replies
Last post January 24, 2004, 02:38:55 PM
by Fla._Deadheader