iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A simple pecan cutting board

Started by fishpharmer, April 26, 2015, 10:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

Here it is.  It was put together from a six inch wide 4/4 pecan board I milled several years ago.  It has been air drying in a barn.  I planed the board on both sides.  Used a small jointer for the edges.  The jointer is new to me and I didn't get the best results.  Then the two pieces were joined with 3 biscuit joints.  Glued, clamped, shaped and sanded.  Finally, it was finished with a food safe salad bowl finish. This image is a little distorted for some reason.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sandhills

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishpharmer

Thank you Sandhills and thecfarm.   The handle had a knot in it that was split.  Yet some of the nicest character was in that spot.  I drilled a hole in the knot and used a jigsaw to cut it out.  I have seen other makers call that an "organic" shape.  And I'll go so far as saying that its made of organically grown pecan  ;) :D.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

Wow.  That is especially creative.  Organic is right.  I love it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Texas Ranger

Good job, fish, you found a use for pecan.  8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

That is a class act James.  You were very creative with incorporating the natural defect into a work of art.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

fishpharmer

I appreciate all the kind words.  The large amount of time it took for this simple project makes me really in awe of the complex woodworking I see you gentlemen accomplish.  Thank you.

21incher

That is just amazing. I love how you worked that knot hole into the cutting board. To pretty to use for cutting on.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

jueston

Quote from: 21incher on April 27, 2015, 03:03:04 PM
To pretty to use for cutting on.  :)

this is actually why i stopped making cutting boards... 99% of the cutting boards i made never got used, some people displayed them, but most of the people i talked to said they just ended up a cabinet because they didn't want to ruin it by using it...

i'd rather apply myself to something that gets used...  :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

That is one to keep, not sell  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Den-Den

As cutting boards go; that one does not look "simple" to me.  It does look like you did a great job.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Left Coast Chris

Very nice!  Good color, form and natural features.   It is difficult to actually start cutting on something that nice!  :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

fishpharmer

Thanks fellas!  It is encouraging to hear nice comments.

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 27, 2015, 09:34:46 PM
How much?  :)

David, special price of $300 for you ;) :D ;D

Actually, its was a gift for my mother and she liked it.   :)

isawlogs

Organic or ergonomic  both work well!  Love it, pretty stuff there James.

:) :) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

buzywoodliff

A work of art and made with love

Thanks for aharing

fishpharmer

I sure appreciate all the views and kind comments.   I was inspired to built it by all the beautiful projects I have watch here on FF over the years.   8) 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: fishpharmer on April 27, 2015, 11:42:34 PM
Thanks fellas!  It is encouraging to hear nice comments.

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 27, 2015, 09:34:46 PM
How much?  :)

David, special price of $300 for you ;) :D ;D

Actually, its was a gift for my mother and she liked it.   :)

Its truly one of a kind and simply beautiful!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

fishpharmer

Thank you.  And thank you to whatever admin straightened out my pic.  The proportions look more accurate then when I posted it. 

Thank You Sponsors!