iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removing the lipstick from the pig

Started by Ruffneck, May 07, 2015, 11:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

We had a "shakeout" drill here in NZ too.

As it was a pretend earthquake, I pretended to get under my desk.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ruffneck

The ground was shakin' around here, ads may appear, but there should be music 8):

https://youtu.be/1DQd9ZbxySc

Ruffneck

I am now calling it "The Man Cave".
I've been working under engineered plans from a different company than the original engineering firm on this project. The new firm developed this plan and I got the the rubber stamp from the city:

After exposing the true condition or the slab, I knew there is no way it would work. The anchors would never pass the inspection. They developed new plans in no time:

Pure luck:

Magicman

Ah Ha, laying down on the job.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

Pure luck?  Egads!  This sure is an interesting thread to follow. 
Say when

Banjo picker

Hang in there and keep on keeping on.  You'll get it done.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ruffneck

I asked my engineer if I had to do a footing full length like their plans indicated or if I can stop 16 inches beyond the walls... He hadn't thought of that :)
I just received revised plans. That's less digging at least...

It was pure luck I could bust through that rock with my digging pick and my shoring was 18" back.
I'm cheesing the shoring a bit there with another 6x6 #2 fir post you can't see. It beats the alternatives. I had to move the post you can see to get it where it is

Got our first rain of the season yesterday. Threw money at more tarps... I have my waterfall feature I've wanted for this house in my front yard now...  I'm done.

When a rock is in your way, bust through it... 

:)
Quote from: Magicman on October 25, 2015, 07:39:23 AM
Ah Ha, laying down on the job.   :D

Get caught laying around the job one time and you'll be remembered as a slacker forever :D
Quote from: Banjo picker on October 25, 2015, 04:12:22 PM

Hang in there and keep on keeping on.  You'll get it done.  Banjo
Thanks Banjo! I'll do that like a madman.

Quote from: Roxie on October 25, 2015, 09:07:02 AM

Pure luck?  Egads!  This sure is an interesting thread to follow. 

My first thought was heavy equipment with rock breakers  :o Busted that critical rock out old school.

Ruffneck

These are the revised plans:

I completed the two critical footings today old school style.
These are the rocks and the tools used to do it:

I'll be getting ready for the sewer inspection tomorrow.

thecfarm

That one bar looks bent. You are Ruff on tools.  ;D That looks like ALOT of work the way you have to do it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ruffneck

When they gave me the new plans to put in footing, the worst case running through my mind was a very complex shoring operation with a big excavator with a rock buster. That would have put me in the poorhouse. I was hellbent to get this done. I couldn't be any closer to my shoring.
I'll take luck over being good any day ;D
https://youtu.be/Su1UWyVcYkY

Banjo picker

You sure are a hard worker.  I enjoy your videos as well and good selection of music to go with them .   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ruffneck

I believe I have removed the last of the cancer from the concrete. This job has turned out to be as involved as it could possibly be. The Engineers are working on the last revision to the plans so I can get approval from the Building Department. Nickle and diming me to the end :)

I need to continue my search for a walk behind concrete cutting saw that will cut an 8 inch slab, or a ring saw. They aren't easy to find. At least I can move forward with the footing and wall pour now. I have to finish that before my retaining wall guy continues. https://youtu.be/n2BYdm3NoT0

My retaining wall guy is working with the gas company on the repairs needed for the gas line he took out. The gas company ran their line through the concrete of the old wall. He's not happy about it, and I don't blame him, but none of that is on me. I think he my try to get me to pay, we'll see. :D

Ruffneck

I am tired of working with public works and the building department. It is obvious that they only care about the money. They sure aren't there to help me in anyway...
https://youtu.be/nhsjv0D43hs it has been a dirty job. Concrete is going to be poured in the cold, that means extra work for me  :D

beenthere

Your tolerance and perseverance is over and above... commend you for sticking to this. Someday you will be very proud of all the hard work, but may never take on another project like it again.
Big accomplishment and thanks for taking the time to make and share the video's.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ruffneck

If I were asked if I'd be working on this project in December I would have said no way and had a good laugh :D
Then the change of plans... Gotta roll with the punches. Concrete soon.
I need to hire a third party inspector for placement of rebar into the old concrete, I'll be using Simpson Set XP. The inspector will also observe the placement of the concrete anchors.
The first trip will be $300 and each trip after that is $280. There will be a minimum of two visits. Hope I can keep it at that.
I just keep reminding myself about the money I'm saving doing this myself. I would have broke the bank by now if I hired this out.

Just got word that my siding is ready. Jim said there is 2,300 lineal feet. It's a mix of pine and cedar. Can't wait to see how it turned out.

Magicman

You keep on ticking and it will happen.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ruffneck

Thanks Magician, will do. I think I turned the corner today. The Inspector approved the footings.

mesquite buckeye

Cool.  ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Now the fixin' begins. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ruffneck

January is the best time of year to pour concrete, said no man ever  :D

sprucebunny

I bet you are happier to be pouring it than drilling and jackhammering it  :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ruffneck

Serving hard time on Lockup: OC

12 epoxy dowels placed with the inpector watching every step. Murphy was there too  ::)

My neighbor dropped of a care package for me:

Next, learn about snap ties, forms and concrete placement for a nine foot tall wall.  :P

Ruffneck

mad murdock

that really is a man "cave", literally.  I bet it will be nice and cool in the summer.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ruffneck

Finally!

Wanted to go to the woods and get some saw time in, forecast was for 40 mph gusts. I figured out a way to do my time:

https://youtu.be/6fHm6oxAIDc

Quote from: mad murdock on February 02, 2016, 01:29:05 PM
that really is a man "cave", literally.  I bet it will be nice and cool in the summer.

It sure is mad murdock, that was a big selling point for me. The woodlot lacks any serious northern slope. The cave I'm working on is on the north side. I'll get my root cellar one way or another..

beenthere

You sure made quick time on that concrete removal.. just a few minutes and it was all done.. smiley_thumbsup    ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!