iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Scam??

Started by Magicman, May 09, 2015, 05:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

The caller ID said "Michigan", and the displayed telephone number was 734-795-6759.  The thick accented guy said that I had a serious problem with my computer and he needed to talk me through getting the problem fixed.  I told him that I could not get to the computer right now and would have to call him back.  He immediately hung up. 

DanG, and I wanted him to help me out.   :-\ 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

I don't think there is any question that you don't need the question marks in your topic title.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

You're right about that Jeff.  I wonder who on earth would let him gain access to their computer??

I started typing the number into Google and after the first 6 digits, the rest of the number came up and labeled it as a scam.  Then I wondered if clicking on the link to the number would give him access??  Wow, that is scary.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I got the same call, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

They must have moved on after calling everyone in NZ at least 17 times.

They always called at the busiest time, so I never had time to play games with them.
Like see how long it takes them to work out I'm running Linux  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

goose63

Wen I get a call like that I make some nasty remarks a bought there mother and a monkey thy hang up real fast
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Jeff

We have got to the point here that we don't even answer the phone if it is not a number we know on the caller I.D. If you are in our phone book, your name is announced and we answer if we can. We have an answering machine, so messages can be left. We see calls coming from all over the place that we don't pick up that hang up as soon as the machine connects.  So, if you are calling us, and we don't know your number, leave a message, cause we won't pick up the first time or the tenth time until we know what the call is.  Saves a whole lot of wasted time looking for or running to the phone for no reason at all.

beenthere

Jeff, we do the same... but if we hear a familiar voice on the machine, then will interrupt and join the conversation.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clearcut

We don't have Caller ID on the landline. I often let the answering machine pick up.

When I do answer a call, if there is a short pause between my "Hello" and the first words spoken by the caller, I just hang up. The pause indicates an auto-dialer connecting to a human or recording. A human making the call is ready to speak immediately.

I figure that if it is someone who really wants to talk with me, they will hit redial and call back in the next few seconds.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Grizzly

MM, you ask who would? They have gotten a number of older folks up here in Canada. Some lost a fair bit of money before they learned or got warned. My son had some time one evening and managed to keep them on the phone for about 10 minutes. He slipped up and they hung up, but he still figured he was a nuisance and maybe saved someone else a call.   :D  Mind you he was enjoying himself a little too much as well. Seeing how far he could go without telling lies. You know............. I wonder just how far I can pull this string??   :)
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

WDH

I got another one of those calls again today  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PineNut

I figure I am too nice to hang up on them. Like to get them talking and then just lay the phone down. Sometime I let them listen to the TV set. I don't know if any of those scams have called me as I don't waste my time to find out.

Magicman

We got a call this week from me.  Yup, the caller id had my name and telephone number listed as if I was calling myself.  I have the telephone co. working on it to try to find out how they reversed the caller id information.

WmFritz

Quote from: Magicman on May 14, 2015, 10:11:24 PM
We got a call this week from me.  Yup, the caller id had my name and telephone number listed as if I was calling myself.  I have the telephone co. working on it to try to find out how they reversed the caller id information.
I haven't heard of that trick till now. Hope you get somewhere with the phone co.

A few years ago I signed on to the ''Do Not Call List.'' What a mistake... I think our nuisance calls went up 5 fold. Since then all unknown numbers go to the machine.

Last week I got a scammer on my cell phone.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

I have never had them call,yet. Be kinda fun. Play along with them,keep making mistakes,start over 2-3 times, ask them to repeat themsleves,you have to wait,dog wants to go out,than a few minutes later,say dog wants to come in,say another call is coming in,can you hold?   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

I don't give my cellphone number out. There may be twenty five people that have my cellphone number. I never use it to fill out a form or anywhere they need a phone number. I imagine some day that will have to end, but for now, it's nice to know if it rings that its someone I want to talk to.