iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

saw chain

Started by Timbercruiser, May 09, 2015, 06:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbercruiser

Has anyone used woodland pro chain ?  Or how about carlton chain.   They have good deals on bulk roll. Just wondering if its as good as oregon chain ??

luvmexfood

I used to use the Woodland Pro chain and had no complaints. After Bailey's stopped being a sponsor for the FF I don't purchase from them anymore.

I buy Oregon chain from Comstock and the pricing is competitive with Woodland. Several other members purchase from Chainsawr and are equally satisfied.

Don't know where you are located but look at where the supplier is relative to where you are. Waiting 8 days on a package to be delivered can get painful if you suddenly need what you ordered.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

so il logger

Wondering if it is as good as oregon chain? The woodland pro is about equal from my experience. Still not impressed, I pay the extra for stihl. For me it cost's money to make money and stihl chain makes the money

CR888

Woodland Pro IS Carlton chain! It's great chain! Like all chain brands they make good/average chain and l like certain brands for different chain. Where l come from Stihl chain is 3x the price of Carlton.....it's generally slightly better but not near 3x better. I have cut a lot of hardwood with Carlton chain and gone through many rolls. I find how a chain is filed/ground is probably more important than the brand. Most tree service guys here do NOT use stihl chain due to its high cost. If you want the best and are prepared to pay for it buy Stihl, but if your constantly using chain in a commercial sense, its not the best value.

so il logger

Yup, I pretty much only use chain in a commercial sense. But if using occasionally and not knowing what a good sharp chain cut's like then go carlton or woodland pro! The factory grind on any new chain does not cut well, therefore I file before ever putting it to wood. Again I have used every available chain brand to me and stihl is the one that earn's its place on my saw's. Just remember you get what you pay for.... nothing about making money is cheap anymore

lumberjack48

I've used Stihl, Oregon, and Carlton, i had to file all of them out of the box or off the roll before i used any one of them. Thats just to get it to cut to my expectations which is not necessary for the average cutter.

The woodland made by Carlton is absolutely the way i would go. The Carlton chain out of the box used to cut better then Stihl. And the Carlton chain was just about as hard as Stihl. But not so hard that you needed a new file to sharpen every time. I had trouble with Stihl breaking for no reason. It happen when i was bucking up, in a straight cut, [Ping], pull it out of the cut and go fix it. I had a Vice-grip chain breaker, it would take about ten minutes to fix. I never had a Carlton or Oregon break like that unless they were wore out.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

JohnG28

I have several Woodland Pro chains, 20" and 24" that run on my 361 and 460. I like them, especially for the price. Stihl chain is the best IMO, but nothing wrong with the wp either. Hold up well and last plenty long I think.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

jwilly3879

The Stihl dealer in my area sells Oregon at both stores.

Thank You Sponsors!