iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Stihl 036 repair

Started by Russ Prior, June 12, 2015, 10:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Prior

I have an 036 (bought new over 20 years ago). The local shop says it's not worth repairing and wants it for parts (I paid $48 for this privilege). Needless to say, they're not gonna get my saw. So now I'm on-line looking at repair parts (I do have an e-mail in to Chainsawr). My question is about parts available on Ebay. What are your experiences with Ebay chain saw parts? Ebay also has whole engines and engine/ crankcase units. Are these OEM or aftermarket parts. My saw starts fine but quits running when it's warm. I think it might be the coil. I am pretty mechanical and believe I could do an engine rebuild if needed. I don't trust the local shop so I'm gonna be looking on-line. Thanks for letting a newbie ask and thanks in advance for replies.

dougand3

Welcome. I'd check spark when hot. An inline spark tester will work. Or the old standard test of plug on cyl fins and watch spark when cold and then hot.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

dougand3

and on coil modules...I've had good luck with chainsaw and trimmer AM coils on fleabay. Can be had for $10 - sometimes with other parts for $12. And your old coil may have a failing plug wire - insulation breaks down and charge jumps to ground (eg-cyl fins) before it reaches plug. I changed the plug wire on my 011AVT - runs great when voltage gets to the top of the plug.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Your location added to your profile would help considerably to give an answer.

Look at our sponsors left column, and in particular "Chainsawr" for parts. The best available.
Less risk than the fleabay route.  And they help make this site what it is so we prefer passing on such info.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

joe_indi

Quote from: Russ Prior on June 12, 2015, 10:10:03 AM
My saw starts fine but quits running when it's warm. I think it might be the coil.

It sounds more like a fuel supply problem
A partially blocked pickup body (replace)
Fatigued diaphragms in the carburetor (you will need a carb kit)
Blocked air vent on the fuel tank.(See if the problem goes away when you open and then close the fuel cap )
Blocked strainer in the carb (clean)

celliott

The only way I'd say that 036 wasn't worth repairing was if it needed a cylinder, crank, piston, crankcase together. Basically a bunch of major expensive parts that truly do exceed the value. It's a pro grade, quality saw. Typically, you can salvage a cylinder on a rebuild, pistons are cheap, cranks typically hold up, and the crankcase, well if it isn't busted or have the "white death" corrosion, they'll probably be good. Other parts like carbs, clutch, coils, mufflers, can be had aftermarket or used OEM (chainsawr) plastics are cosmetic mostly, and you can get your saw going for probably less than what you paid your shop to tell you it was junk  :D

Ask lots of questions, there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum, we can basically rebuild your saw over the internet  ;) well not really but we can learn you how!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Thank You Sponsors!