iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

041 question for the old farts

Started by 4x4American, June 12, 2015, 05:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

I bought an 041av a few years back.  It never ran right.  I looked into it and it needed the fuel pump (impulse?) line.  The previous one was spliced and cobbed up.  Anyways, a few questions:  What ratio fuel/oil do i run?  The guy I bought it off of ran 20:1.  I think thats a bit nuts.  I run a healthy 40:1 non ethanol in all my other saws/outdoor power equip. 

What cc's are these saws?
Were these considered homeowner saws, farm n ranch, or just good saws?

What was the primary use for them? 

It came dressed in a 16" bar and it does not balance well it does a wheelie right when you pick it up whats the biggest bar they will pull?  I like that it has an adjustable oiler. 

thanks
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Also off the top of your head do you remember which tuning peg is which?  I'm gonna guess that the high speed is the one above the low speed.  once i get the right fuel in it I'll tune it and find out.

Also, what ratio would you run on an 045 and a 056 mag ii?
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

I just pulled up an old manual for it on the interweb.  It says never use high octane fuel because it contains benzol which will destroy the carb diaphragm.  Is this still true?  The non ethanol fuel i get only comes in high octane.  So i have to decide which its gonna be!

Also, what saw if nowadays woukd you compare the 041 to?
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

Run 50:1 no ethanol high test with Stihl Synthetic and don't ever think about it again. If it blows up, it wasn't the fuel, it was just worn out. ;)

PS, are you a glutton for punishment or something? 041, 056 Mag?  :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sandsawmill14

40-50:1  tune it to about 10500 is probably where it will be best (book says 11000 i think)  biggest bar i ever ran on one was 36" but would be great with 24" or 28"   just stick a 24" on it and let that 056 mag handle anything bigger :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sawguy21

The 041AV was a pro saw, a lot of them were used for bucking and limbing. We sold most with a 20" bar. It does not have an external impulse line, there is a passage through the insulator block and gaskets. When it was built in the 70's Stihl recommended 20:1, with modern oils 40or 50 (my preference ) will work just fine. Check the muffler and ports, they may be plugged if the guy was running a rich mix.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

4x4American

Thanks.  The manual I pulled up said the 041 was an ocassional use saw.  Is that the difference between the av and the non av?  I had her buried in pine with the 16" bar on and it was less than impressive.  I'm thinking the muffler might be plugged, or something come loose and plugged it.  It ran great til it got warmed up then now its boggy.  Idles fine but stab the throttle and it bogs.  First thing ill check is the muffler.  Then the muffler bearings  :D
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 12, 2015, 09:13:18 PM
Run 50:1 no ethanol high test with Stihl Synthetic and don't ever think about it again. If it blows up, it wasn't the fuel, it was just worn out. ;)

PS, are you a glutton for punishment or something? 041, 056 Mag?  :o

Hah!  These saws ride like cadillacs compared to my old homelite sxl!  That thing is a 4x4 mud truck without suspension trying to climb a rocky mountain in reverse!

But seriously, the older saws scare off the skeeters better, and sometimes that is a priority :D
Boy, back in my day..

bandmiller2

The 031/041 series saw were supposed to use 40-1 mix, with modern especially synthetic oil 50-1. I have a 041 that was given to me with only a few hours on it, its a pleasure to use. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

gspren

I bought a 041 Farm Boss new back when I wasn't an old fart and still have/use it although not often any more. I always ran a 20" bar and I use 40-1 non ethanol mid grade in all my 2 strokes, I'm not mixing separate.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

volleybill

Difference between AV and non-AV?  It was Stihls version of anti-vibration.  "Q" meant quick stop, a brake.  I bought one, back in the day-  30 years ago, still runs well.  It was, at the time, the bottom commercial saw.
I thought I'd be smarter by the time I got this old.

Thank You Sponsors!